PA collegiate open

Sunshinedynomite 1

Oct 14, 2021
How cool would it be a tournament @ BJC with all or most of the PA D1 schools. You would have PSU, Pitt, Bucknell, Lehigh all the PSAC schools.
You could host it over Christmas break

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Any wrestling tournament of that magnitude would be in Happy Valley. Would also love to see a Keystone BB tournament as well…

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
How cool would it be a tournament @ BJC with all or most of the PA D1 schools. You would have PSU, Pitt, Bucknell, Lehigh all the PSAC schools.
You could host it over Christmas break
My memory isn’t so good anymore but several years ago I went to the Nittany Lion Open and I just love tournaments like these. Great wrestling, good seats, no lines and you don’t get interrupted by any ‘We Are’…. I know I know, grumpy old man syndrome. In any event I was watching two guys across the way and one man takes down position and the other guy assumes the top position. Before the ref has a chance to get them ‘set’, the top man takes a moment to reinsert the bottom man’s clothing tag back into his singlet. Top guy reassumes his position and ref blows the whistle to start.
Reminded me of a Jason Nolf type movement. It was a great day for wrestling!

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
This was a question I asked of Casey yesterday at the social. He said this had happened several years ago. (I don't remember it.) He didn't seem to think it would happen any time soon.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This was a question I asked of Casey yesterday at the social. He said this had happened several years ago. (I don't remember it.) He didn't seem to think it would happen any time soon.

I don't remember it either. Below is a listing of Opens/Tournaments that PSU wrestled in big numbers (i.e., they were on PSU's schedule, and not something that just some PSU wrestlers did):

2023-24Journeymen Collegiate Classis
Army Black Knight Invite
2019-20Army West Point Invite
2018-19Keystone Classic
Southern Scuffle
2017-18Keystone Classic
Southern Scuffle
2016-17Keystone Classic
2015-16Nittany Lion Open
Southern Scuffle
2014-15Nittany Lion Open
Southern Scuffle
2013-14Southern Scuffle
2012-13Nittany Lion Open
Southern Scuffle
2010-11Nittany Lion Open
Southern Scuffle
2009-10Nittany Lion Open
Reno Tournament of Champions
2008-09MSU Open
Nittany Lion Open
2007-08Nittany Lion Open
2006-07Nittany Lion Open

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Jeez, surely I can’t be the oldest one in the room! If my feeble memory is correct the Nittany Lion Open (hosted by the NLWC) was running when I first arrived on campus in 1990. It used to be the Sunday before Thanksgiving but then shifted to early December. Tickets were in the $5-10 range and most people seemed to treat it as the wrestling version of the Blue-White game. I went to a few of them and seem to remember teams such as Rutgers, VATech, Army, Harvard, F&M, etc. attending. It never seemed to be a big deal and petered out during Sanderson’s early years.

I remember that Hughes forfeiting to Hughes in the finals made some news when they were Frosh. Whichever one that attended PSUHazelton their first year was wrestling unattached. That was one of three or four that I attended. There seemed to be quite a few Penn State wrestlers that would meet up in the finals. Matt Brown beat Nickal in the finals during Bo’s RS year.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Jeez, surely I can’t be the oldest one in the room! If my feeble memory is correct the Nittany Lion Open (hosted by the NLWC) was running when I first arrived on campus in 1990. It used to be the Sunday before Thanksgiving but then shifted to early December. Tickets were in the $5-10 range and most people seemed to treat it as the wrestling version of the Blue-White game. I went to a few of them and seem to remember teams such as Rutgers, VATech, Army, Harvard, F&M, etc. attending. It never seemed to be a big deal and petered out during Sanderson’s early years.

I remember that Hughes forfeiting to Hughes in the finals made some news when they were Frosh. Whichever one that attended PSUHazelton their first year was wrestling unattached. That was one of three or four that I attended. There seemed to be quite a few Penn State wrestlers that would meet up in the finals. Matt Brown beat Nickal in the finals during Bo’s RS year.

I think you're mixing and matching a bit here. I certainly remember the NLO, and suspect most PSU wrestling fans on this board do as well. My comment of "I don't remember it either" was in reference to @Roar More's post that Coach Casey indicated that "this had happened several years ago," in response to the OP's post about a Christmas break tournament at PSU. As my above table indicates, there hasn't been a Christmas break tournament at PSU in the years I checked, which is since 2006 -- basically, since before Coach Casey was at PSU.

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
I think you're mixing and matching a bit here. I certainly remember the NLO, and suspect most PSU wrestling fans on this board do as well. My comment of "I don't remember it either" was in reference to @Roar More's post that Coach Casey indicated that "this had happened several years ago," in response to the OP's post about a Christmas break tournament at PSU. As my above table indicates, there hasn't been a Christmas break tournament at PSU in the years I checked, which is since 2006 -- basically, since before Coach Casey was at PSU.
I was not proposing a return to the NLO, but a dual tournament with PA colleges.