Parsons Last Night's Game

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Parsons was on fire last night until the chip block Fornette threw on him and then he was non-factor. Looking at his stats he had the 2 sacks in first half and 5 tackles total. I wonder if that hit knocked him a little loopy? Von Miller was out there tweeting how those blocks should be illegal but Micah tweeted, its FOOTBALL, hits happen.

Reactions: Midnighter

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Parsons was on fire last night until the chip block Fornette threw on him and then he was non-factor. Looking at his stats he had the 2 sacks in first half and 5 tackles total. I wonder if that hit knocked him a little loopy? Von Miller was out there tweeting how those blocks should be illegal but Micah tweeted, its FOOTBALL, hits happen.
I thought he played well but should have played more as a LB.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

psuno1

Oct 16, 2021
Hits like that are going to happen when go full tilt on every play like Micah.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I agree with Micah's stance on this ... had a similar conversation about "big hits" recently and I took the same stance.

It's part of football. No big whoop.

There's a group of people who get off on "big hits," even when they're against someone who really isn't in a spot to defend themselves. The defender who correctly reads a screen, and the offense fails to block, and the defender destroys the RB or WR when they're catching the ball, or just after. As if that hit is some awesome accomplishment. It's a good play by the defender, to read the play, avoid the block and make the stop. But the over the top levelling of someone who can't really brace themselves for impact, avoid it, or attempt to give as good as they get ... that's not to be celebrated.

It's just part of football.

It's much more exciting ... it's much more "brag-worthy," to meet a guy head on and level him. You shed that lead blocker, and then step into the spot with an RB barreling down, and you pick him up and drive him back into the ground. That's awesome. That speedy wideout heading downhill and you meet him in open space, close on him, and stick him right there. Awesome. Celebrate that. Promote that.

But these "big hits" where someone's engaged with someone else and you just come up and wallop them ... yawn. Or those folks who celebrate someone in the secondary flying across the field and crushing some outstretched receiver trying to make the catch. Double yawn. That's not exciting. That's not tough. This is especially grating when the "old time tough guys" chime in about how tough football used to be, when safeties used to launch themselves and try to take a guy's head off ... even though that's not a "real" tough guy move at all. Go run around a department store tackling mannequins if that's what does it for you. It's not wrong to do that (well, the old launching into the head thing is wrong now) ... it's part of football. It's just not some awesome thing.

I see it in youth/MS/HS football ... where the kids who are full of themselves will barrel down on an easy target and blow him up, and celebrate like they just did something special ... but when it's head-to-head contact, they cower. They get pushed back. Can't make the play. But the next easy target, they're up there again acting all tough after the fact.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
I agree with Micah's stance on this ... had a similar conversation about "big hits" recently and I took the same stance.

It's part of football. No big whoop.

There's a group of people who get off on "big hits," even when they're against someone who really isn't in a spot to defend themselves. The defender who correctly reads a screen, and the offense fails to block, and the defender destroys the RB or WR when they're catching the ball, or just after. As if that hit is some awesome accomplishment. It's a good play by the defender, to read the play, avoid the block and make the stop. But the over the top levelling of someone who can't really brace themselves for impact, avoid it, or attempt to give as good as they get ... that's not to be celebrated.

It's just part of football.

It's much more exciting ... it's much more "brag-worthy," to meet a guy head on and level him. You shed that lead blocker, and then step into the spot with an RB barreling down, and you pick him up and drive him back into the ground. That's awesome. That speedy wideout heading downhill and you meet him in open space, close on him, and stick him right there. Awesome. Celebrate that. Promote that.

But these "big hits" where someone's engaged with someone else and you just come up and wallop them ... yawn. Or those folks who celebrate someone in the secondary flying across the field and crushing some outstretched receiver trying to make the catch. Double yawn. That's not exciting. That's not tough. This is especially grating when the "old time tough guys" chime in about how tough football used to be, when safeties used to launch themselves and try to take a guy's head off ... even though that's not a "real" tough guy move at all. Go run around a department store tackling mannequins if that's what does it for you. It's not wrong to do that (well, the old launching into the head thing is wrong now) ... it's part of football. It's just not some awesome thing.

I see it in youth/MS/HS football ... where the kids who are full of themselves will barrel down on an easy target and blow him up, and celebrate like they just did something special ... but when it's head-to-head contact, they cower. They get pushed back. Can't make the play. But the next easy target, they're up there again acting all tough after the fact.
I hate that they now have a blindside block rule. Whatever happened to keeping your head on a swivel? Its part of the game. I got blindsided once, and never let it happen to me again because I learned my lesson.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I hate that they now have a blindside block rule. Whatever happened to keeping your head on a swivel? Its part of the game. I got blindsided once, and never let it happen to me again because I learned my lesson.
I think that only the guy in front of you should be allowed to block you!! Tic

• Haha

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I didn’t recall this or never knew about it but It happened to him in the Cotton Bowl against Memphis too

Now about that call in Sat.'s game that went against us for what was supposed to be a "blind side" hit on a big run of ours?
And isn't there something about leading with the shoulder into the helmet/head of the other players?
Again Abdul Carter's hit in the PU game was less than that and then they turn around and let the Miami of Ohio player pretty much lead with his head
right into our QB. While we did get the PF penalty where was the targeting?

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Exactly! How does a pulling guard supposed to block or a wide receiver supposed to block on a jet sweep?

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Exactly! How does a pulling guard supposed to block or a wide receiver supposed to block on a jet sweep?
I was a guard back in my ute, there were times on pass plays where there was no one in front of me to immediately block(faced a lot of 5-2 where LB were in coverage), I would always look back side to help, there were times I would clock defenders with a so called blindside block because they were so focused on killing my QB. My job is to protect my QB and most certainly I would not let my QB get blindsided tackled if I have a chance to prevent it. Such a stupid rule.