Penn State wrestling roster: Meet the new guys, plus a starting lineup projection

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Now THIS is the news I look forward to!
Man I am so excited for this season. Once Nagao is healthy we should be looking at 9 top 10 guys, and 4 1s?
I don’t think this will be unique but things I’m most excited to see this year:
1. Kerk’s next step (dominant HWTs are just fun as hell to watch)
2. Nagao/Mitch/Bernie in Cael/Casey system
3. Robbie Howard maybe hopefully possibly healthy?
4. AB destroying AJ Ferrari at CH on 2/9

Reactions: LB99

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Besides the obvious super talent of returning wrestlers and transfers-amazing talent of guys who will most likely redshirt-many state/tournament championships including Josh Barr (184), Erik Gibson (165), Tyler Kasak (141), Braeden Davis (125), Brendon Wenzel (125), Kysion Jordan (133).and AJ Fricchione (197 or 285). Sure a talented group. Obviously way too early to speculate on next year's lineups-who knows else may transfer in (plus incoming 2024 freshmen) but we sure lose a lot of talent to graduation next spring-so looks like there will be talent to develop this year to help keep team a national contender each year. Exciting time for PSU wrestling!! Must be some tough competition at several weights in the wrestling room!!

Reactions: cb1994

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
The only wrestlers officially down this year are truex and Brooks. If Starocci and Kerkvliet want to come back, they are eligible.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Some thoughts, now that I've had time to look at the roster PSU posted:

125:
- it's easy to forget that Howard is on just sophomore eligibility
- I'm happy to see Braeden Davis starting at 125. There seemed to be some question as to whether he'd outgrown this weight
- if Howard is healthy, I think he'll man the spot
- if he's not, Steen and McHenry are nice options
- in the thread on the Clarion Open it's mentioned that Nasdeo is taking a gap year. That means Wentzel and Davis are freshmen at 125 this season, and Nasdeo will be in the same boat next season
- I can't remember a PSU roster under CS that had so many guys listed at 125

133:
- hopefully Greg can find out on Wednesday how Nagao is, health wise
- I'm curious who would man the spot if Nagao isn't ready to go. Would CS lean to Shunk with his experience, or Shindledecker or Garcia

141:
- I had forgotten Beau was on senior eligibility
- it basically seems like Beau's weight for the year, while Kasak works on technique
- David Evans and Timothy Levine are the other guys at this weight

149:
- one of the thinner weights on the roster. It's Van Ness to start, and either Imran Heard or Connor Pierce as backups

157:
- another thin weight, but two great talents
- Haines likely has the spot
- Mesenbrink is listed as 157/165 on the PSU roster

165:
- a lot of talent at this weight
- Facundo is the known quantity.
- Mesenbrink is the incoming diamond
- Barraclough is looking up at a couple of beasts
- Matt Lee seemed so talented in HS, but now he's on junior eligibility and probably not in contention for the spot
- Erik Gibson is a new freshman

174:
- Starocci is going for #4
- hard to believe that Joe Lee is a senior (eligibility) (and has gotten this big)
- Aurelius Dunbar shows flashes, but has yet to put it all together
- I know very little about Brian Borden

184:
- Truax is listed at 184, so I guess that is the plan for him
- Truax is a graduate student, so Josh Barr can spend a year in the room working on technique to prepare for next year
- Donovon Ball and Lucas Cochran (184/197) seem to be the emergency backups
- Jack Kelly I know very little about

197:
- another thin weight for PSU
- AB is the man, and his being listed only at 197 seems to cement the idea that he's moving up this season
- Lucas Cochran (184/197) and freshman AJ Fricchione (197/285) seem to be the only backups

285:
- another thin weight for PSU
- Kerk is the man, and here's hoping he climbs to the top of the podium this year
- AJ Fricchione (197/285) looks to be the only backup

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
McHenry may surprise at 125. Big time talent. Not saying he’ll start but he’ll push Howard hard. He’s finally grown into the weight now. Think he improves in our room from the Michigan room.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Greg,
Will be very interesting to hear what Cael says about Nagao (133) health status on Wednesday as Tom pointed out.
Yep. There are a lot of questions for Cael since this is the first time he's talking since March. But, that probably tops the list, with plan for Mesenbrink being a close second.

Reactions: Spice67

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
- Kerk is the man, and here's hoping he climbs to the top of the podium this year
You just HAD to say this, huh Tom!
Kerk v Gable at B1Gs and Nationals booked now. I want to believe Kerk has a chance, I really do.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
You just HAD to say this, huh Tom!
Kerk v Gable at B1Gs and Nationals booked now. I want to believe Kerk has a chance, I really do.

wow, I was away from the site for several hours, so I'm just catching up. I really thought the Gable rumors had petered out, but it appears I was mistaken.

Reactions: cb1994

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
wow, I was away from the site for several hours, so I'm just catching up. I really thought the Gable rumors had petered out, but it appears I was mistaken.
You were not alone in believing that. Here we are again. I refuse to put much stock into it, though, until he actually competes in a match.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Greg,
Any words about how Bernie T (184) is doing against the competition around him or overall ?

Latest posts