Penn State wrestling: Why does music play during matches now at Rec Hall? Cael Sanderson explains

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
I’ve always thought the contrast of pin drop quiet to stand shaking roar is really cool. But I guess I never gave any thought to why we are quiet at all? It’s not like tennis where it’s important to be quiet at the serve, or golf at the swing, but the result does end up being the same. But it’s also not like football or basketball where you’re loud on defense to disrupt the other offense, because both guys are on offense and defense all the time? Idk.

I would absolutely have been weirded out by music during the match at first, but if it’s what the program wants I’m not gonna complain about it. I don’t know if I’m ever going to be a full 7 minute yeller for a match though. Just feels weird.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I’ve always thought the contrast of pin drop quiet to stand shaking roar is really cool. But I guess I never gave any thought to why we are quiet at all? It’s not like tennis where it’s important to be quiet at the serve, or golf at the swing, but the result does end up being the same. But it’s also not like football or basketball where you’re loud on defense to disrupt the other offense, because both guys are on offense and defense all the time? Idk.

I would absolutely have been weirded out by music during the match at first, but if it’s what the program wants I’m not gonna complain about it. I don’t know if I’m ever going to be a full 7 minute yeller for a match though. Just feels weird.
From what I've gathered, it seems like the team encountered in-match music at a road venue, thought it was cool, and decided to implement it at home.

Reactions: Parks22 and cb1994

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I you have tickets and the music bothers you, I am willing to listen to this music during the matches if anyone want to give me their tickets. DM me.

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
Even with the music, it wasn’t that loud in there. But, most people were intensely watching the match. Since Friday was my first match to attend, the music didn’t bother me as it obviously did the people around me grumbling about it. I was surprised there wasn’t more crowd noise during the match

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
What kind of music are they playing? Does each Penn State wrestler get to pick their own music?