People over the age of 65 — are now the fastest growing group of cannabis users in the United States.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Reliving those college days

Super Troopers Weed GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Seniors — people over the age of 65 — are now the fastest growing group of cannabis users in the United States.
Probably the fastest growing group of ED drug users also. People don't seem to be too enthused about discussing that. But those people seeking a buzz are mostly the same people who have always been seeking a buzz just entering a demographic that gets studied a lot.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Probably the fastest growing group of ED drug users also. People don't seem to be too enthused about discussing that. But those people seeking a buzz are mostly the same people who have always been seeking a buzz just entering a demographic that gets studied a lot.
If you read the article, a lot of these are new users to the scene.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
If you read the article, a lot of these are new users to the scene.
Well, folks of every sort are trying new stuff at any given time, and "a lot" is no more precise than "mostly". No real information evinced here. As long as they are doing no harm, I've got no problem.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Well, folks of every sort are trying new stuff at any given time, and "a lot" is no more precise than "mostly". No real information evinced here.
Except the article is about people 65+ using it for medicinal purposes and not just to get a "buzz". If you think otherwise, then you missed the point of why the phenomenon is happening.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Except the article is about people 65+ using it for medicinal purposes and not just to get a "buzz". If you think otherwise, then you missed the point of why the phenomenon is happening.
I read the article- twice - looking for hard statistics. I use Dramamine for sleep myself.

CriminalTrakerAlum80

Joined Oct 17, 2020
Feb 5, 2022
Chronic pains for which you don't want to depend on a pain killer to relieve. If I thought the Gummy Bears really worked, I would try them without reservation. But they too are not cheap.

Reactions: Bwellgolf

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Chronic pains for which you don't want to depend on a pain killer to relieve. If I thought the Gummy Bears really worked, I would try them without reservation. But they too are not cheap.
I take .50 mg of hemp oil daily to help relieve pain. It's not cheap. But, I'm not on a street corner with a tin cup in my hand either. Thinking about trying the Gummy Bears.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022

The Delta-9 gummies are actually a lot cheaper than I ever expected. It's not the exact same as a true weed gummy, but I'd say it's about 90% there. It's the same THC strand, just a different extraction method and weaker.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022

It's like in Little Miss Sunshine when the grandfather starts using heroin. His reasoning is perfect: when you get old that the exact right time to start using drugs! Of course he died of an overdose in the movie, but that's beside the point.

I fully expect to start using some sort of HGH or steroid when I get older. Make the last quarter of life as able-bodiied as possible - long term consequences be damned! Because "long-term" is relative and eventually doesn't exist eventually.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
True. I know a guy who overdid it and started losing vision while on a St Pat's pub crawl.
When I first traveled west in '16, I got some of the chocolate wafers while in CO. This is the real stuff.
I ate exactly 1 wafer after dinner....took exactly 1 hr 15 mins for it to hit. When it did....wham...so strong I couldn't even watch TV. I went to sleep and slept it off.
Next night, tried it again, same scheme; but this time nothing happened. Early AM, woke up with monster headache & started puking as bad as it gets.
That was it....no more edibles for me. 😬

IMO, the recreational stuff doesn't work for older people....it's too strong & takes too long to clear out your system. It is nothing like the old weed smoked as a teen/young adult.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
It's like in Little Miss Sunshine when the grandfather starts using heroin. His reasoning is perfect: when you get old that the exact right time to start using drugs! Of course he died of an overdose in the movie, but that's beside the point.

I fully expect to start using some sort of HGH or steroid when I get older. Make the last quarter of life as able-bodiied as possible - long term consequences be damned! Because "long-term" is relative and eventually doesn't exist eventually.
I had an economics professor that, whenever he talked about some "long term" economic outcome, always added "but, in the long term, you're dead".

• Haha
Reactions: SSIGamecock

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
When I first traveled west in '16, I got some of the chocolate wafers while in CO. This is the real stuff.
I ate exactly 1 wafer after dinner....took exactly 1 hr 15 mins for it to hit. When it did....wham...so strong I couldn't even watch TV. I went to sleep and slept it off.
Next night, tried it again, same scheme; but this time nothing happened. Early AM, woke up with monster headache & started puking as bad as it gets.
That was it....no more edibles for me. 😬

IMO, the recreational stuff doesn't work for older people....it's too strong & takes too long to clear out your system. It is nothing like the old weed smoked as a teen/young adult.
It definitely is not what it was even 15 years ago. Funny story from my wedding night, although I heard it second hand.

My groomsmen and I rented a beachfront house on Jekyll, so that was kind of the party house after festivities each night. On the wedding night, of course, my wife and I had a suite at the Jekyll Island Club, so I was not in attendance this particular night. Anyway, my buddies and brother were rolling a joint and my Dad asked to join in, something he had not done but a couple of times since his early twenties (he was 56 when I got married). My buddy and little brother warned him that it aint what it used to be, however, my Dad insisted he was no "sissy" and no way weed these days could hold a candle to the good ish he used to smoke, hurry up and let him hit it a couple times before my mom came back inside and made him leave (this was around 1 AM and they were heading back to their hotel room). So they passed it to him. He hits it and doesn't cough, calls them sissies for coughing and proceeds to the car. About 10 mins later my little brother receives a text that reads exactly like this "hooly shuttt." Jellynuts (lil bro - who if enough interest, I can tell the story of the nickname which arose only 2 days prior to this story in another thread) responds and says "told ya." My mom says he was passed out within 2 mins of going into the hotel room - pretty funny considering at the time my Dad was not drinking, so it was only the "sissy" weed.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
It definitely is not what it was even 15 years ago. Funny story from my wedding night, although I heard it second hand.

My groomsmen and I rented a beachfront house on Jekyll, so that was kind of the party house after festivities each night. On the wedding night, of course, my wife and I had a suite at the Jekyll Island Club, so I was not in attendance this particular night. Anyway, my buddies and brother were rolling a joint and my Dad asked to join in, something he had not done but a couple of times since his early twenties (he was 56 when I got married). My buddy and little brother warned him that it aint what it used to be, however, my Dad insisted he was no "sissy" and no way weed these days could hold a candle to the good ish he used to smoke, hurry up and let him hit it a couple times before my mom came back inside and made him leave (this was around 1 AM and they were heading back to their hotel room). So they passed it to him. He hits it and doesn't cough, calls them sissies for coughing and proceeds to the car. About 10 mins later my little brother receives a text that reads exactly like this "hooly shuttt." Jellynuts (lil bro - who if enough interest, I can tell the story of the nickname which arose only 2 days prior to this story in another thread) responds and says "told ya." My mom says he was passed out within 2 mins of going into the hotel room - pretty funny considering at the time my Dad was not drinking, so it was only the "sissy" weed.
Well, it was in the wee morning hours of what I'm guessing was a very long day.

• Haha
Reactions: SSIGamecock

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
It shouldn't be surprising. Older folks' pain is often caused by inflammation. Cannabis is an exceptional medicine for reducing painful inflammation. For any doubters, here is a handy chart to compare to legal booze.

safer-than-alcohol.jpg

This helpful chart may make you realize that the much more dangerous substance is currently LEGAL & a much safer substance is still ILLEGAL! :)

A new study published by the American Medical Association (AMA) now admits smoke from tobacco is worse for your body than cannabis smoke!

Smoking Marijuana Increasingly Seen As Safer Than Cigarettes, American Medical Association Journal Study Finds

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
It definitely is not what it was even 15 years ago.
Yup...the vape pens are the same. A friend of mine was visiting last fall & we road tripped thru Vegas to Cali. I showed him one of the cannabis shops on Fremont St where you could just walk up and buy a joint or vape cartridge. We didn't partake, but saw several avg looking middle age people smoking it out on the street. That's Vegas.
Not only will that stuff kick someone's azz, it will stay with them for quite a while. :oops:

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
A new study published by the American Medical Association (AMA) now admits smoke from tobacco is worse for your body than cannabis smoke!

Smoking Marijuana Increasingly Seen As Safer Than Cigarettes, American Medical Association Journal Study Finds
I didn't read the report, but there are some apples-apples comps that don't line up.
One is, how much smoking is involved...
Another (and I'm not defending either), is the impairment & other mental effects of cannabis, which are almost non-existent with tobacco.

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
As a high school teacher, I find this very hard to believe.

Can we agree if a substance can KILL YOU, it's more dangerous? If it can't kill you, it's safer, right? If that is the case, there should be no debate.

Here's an OLD chart of substances that can kill you. NOTE: Over 100,000 Americans are now dying annually in the deadly opioid overdose crisis!

annual-deaths.jpg

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
Can we agree if a substance can KILL YOU, it's more dangerous? If it can't kill you, it's safer, right? If that is the case, there should be no debate.

Here's an OLD chart of substances that can kill you. NOTE: Over 100,000 Americans are now dying annually in the deadly opioid overdose crisis!

View attachment 383998
I'm not sure why you quoted me. I'm commenting on the fact that a whole lot of high school students openly talk about getting high.

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
I didn't read the report, but there are some apples-apples comps that don't line up.
One is, how much smoking is involved...

The big thing is tobacco can CAUSE cancer! Cannabis does not and it can CURE cancer! There is not ONE documented case anywhere of someone who ONLY smoked cannabis getting lung cancer EVER. The same goes with cannabis causing an overdose death. Quantity doesn't matter as much.

Kids were once taught that smoking one joint did the equivalent bodily damage of 25, 50 or even 100 cigarettes! That lie was just a scare tactic.

Another (and I'm not defending either), is the impairment & other mental effects of cannabis, which are almost non-existent with tobacco.

Good point. But that's why driving under the influence is still illegal even in the states that have already legalized weed for adults age 21 & up.

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
I'm commenting on the fact that a whole lot of high school students openly talk about getting high.

I'll bet a whole lot of hs students also openly talk about getting drunk too. Both are illegal for them. Wonder which one is easier for them to get?

[Later...] I will go ahead and answer my own question. I believe it is easier for kids to get weed in ILLEGAL states like SC than in regulated states.

Sadly, SLED lies to SC citizens by saying medical cannabis legalization will make it easier for kids to get it. HOGWASH! Dispensaries don't allow anyone under 21 in the door! Under prohibition, illegal dealers don't ask for ID or check. And, if they're out of weed, they may offer hard drugs.

The US "War on Drugs" has been a dismal failure! The DEA is THE most corrupt branch of the entire Federal government. (Defund the DEA Now!)

South Carolina should be getting our share of the Over $15 BILLION in regular and cannabis excise taxes already raised by LEGAL States (23 so far).

States Surpass $15 Billion in Tax Revenue From Legal, Adult-Use Cannabis Sales

2022 State-by-State Totals:

Alaska: $28,649,408
Arizona: $223,863,799
California: $1,074,560,287
Colorado: $305,034,034
Illinois: $562,119,019
Maine: $25,329,534
Massachusetts: $250,710,415
Michigan: $326,049,074
Montana: $41,989,466
Nevada: $196,952,338
New Jersey: $20,139,655
New Mexico: $36,684,235
Rhode Island: $579,439
Oregon: $150,316,424
Washington: $529,443,420
Vermont: $2,363,000
Year-by-Year Totals:

2014: $68,503,980
2015: $264,211,871
2016: $530,521,110
2017: $736,534,982
2018: $1,308,693,928
2019: $1,749,459,667
2020: $2,814,837,199
2021: $3,866,974,690
2022: $3,774,783,548
CUMULATIVE TOTAL: $15,114,520,975

But, instead of earning over $100 MILLION in annual legal cannabis taxes (Motley Fool estimate), SC still wastes $100 MILLION annually fighting the plant (ACLU data). That simply doesn't make sense.

notapproved.png

Last edited:

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
People who have never smoked anything get lung cancer. I personally know someone who ONLY smoked weed and got lung cancer.

I'm sure there are exceptions. But it is also documented that patients who had terminal Stage 4 Double Black-Lung Cancer have been CURED by cannabis! Heard of Rick Simpson Oil (abbreviated as RSO)? It's basically a very-high THC oil that actually teaches cancer cells to commit suicide! How amazing is THAT?

Know ANYONE with ANY cancer? Tell them about RSO & ask them to watch this movie about Rick Simpson "Run From the Cure" on YouTube!

Run From the Cure - The Rick Simpson Story

NOTE: For patients with serious diseases, high-potency THC oil (now illegal in SC) is required. CBD (legal in SC) does NOT contain enough THC!

cannabis_cures_cancer_google_it.jpguspatent6630507.jpg

Last edited:

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I'm sure there are exceptions. But it is also documented that patients who had terminal Stage 4 Double Black-Lung Cancer have been CURED by cannabis! Heard of Rick Simpson Oil (abbreviated as RSO)? It's basically a very-high THC oil that actually teaches cancer cells to commit suicide! How amazing is THAT?

Know ANYONE with ANY cancer? Tell them about RSO & ask them to watch this movie about Rick Simpson "Run From the Cure" on YouTube!

Run From the Cure - The Rick Simpson Story

NOTE: For patients with serious diseases, high-potency THC oil (now illegal in SC) is required. CBD (legal in SC) does NOT contain enough THC!

View attachment 384195View attachment 384199
So it went from "ever" to there are exceptions. OK. By the way, I do agree with most of your position.

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
So it went from "ever" to there are exceptions. OK. By the way, I do agree with most of your position.

I was actually repeating a claim, not making up my own claim. When we are talking about many thousands of years ("in all of recorded history") there almost has to be a few exceptions.

On the other hand, I watched a live video of a "drug counselor" from The Phoenix House speaking at a Greenville Republican Women's luncheon.

He falsely claimed (paraphrasing) "It's rare, but marijuana causes death in some kids." That's a bogus statement now being used as a scare tactic!

Are there exceptions to the FACT that cannabis alone has never caused a single death EVER? 2014 chart showing all causes of 2,626,418 deaths:

zero-deaths.jpg

Sure enough, cannabis ranked the lowest with a ZERO! How can that be? Cannabis does not affect the part of the brain that controls breathing.

Note how, in less than 10 years, the number of opioid overdose deaths in the USA has more than DOUBLED! It now exceeds 100,000 ANNUALLY!

In states that legalized cannabis for 21+, the number of accidental drug overdose deaths goes DOWN about 20% (Not UP as SLED has claimed).

If you're in favor of finally ending enforcement of 1930s-era "Reefer Madness" laws based on Jim Crow Racism, contact your SC representatives!

Do YOU still think cannabis should remain illegal as it is? If so, you probably believe one or more of many MYTHS that still stigmatize cannabis!

Why don't we dispel those myths for you? The Marijuana Policy Project (an off-shoot of NORML) has an informative web page to do just that.

Marijuana Mythbusters (April 26, 2023)

PREVIEW: "Despite the ever-growing evidence of the broad and transformative benefits of cannabis reform in states across the country, opponents of replacing cannabis prohibition with sensible laws and regulations frequently make claims that, at first blush, sound alarming. However, upon closer examination, their key sources lack credibility and distort the truth.

Misinformation and scare tactics remain very real obstacles as we’re fighting an increasingly uphill battle to continue advancing reform across the country. Below we dispel the top ten myths that prohibitionists often perpetuate."

Last edited:

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I was actually repeating a claim, not making up my own claim. When we are talking about many thousands of years ("in all of recorded history") there almost has to be a few exceptions.

On the other hand, I watched a live video of a "drug counselor" from The Phoenix House speaking at a Greenville Republican Women's luncheon.

He falsely claimed (paraphrasing) "It's rare, but marijuana causes death in some kids." That's a bogus statement now being used as a scare tactic!

Are there exceptions to the FACT that cannabis alone has never caused a single death EVER? 2014 chart showing all causes of 2,626,418 deaths:

View attachment 384347

Sure enough, cannabis ranked the lowest with a ZERO! How can that be? Cannabis does not affect the part of the brain that controls breathing.

Note how, in less than 10 years, the number of opioid overdose deaths in the USA has more than DOUBLED! It now exceeds 100,000 ANNUALLY!

In states that legalized cannabis for 21+, the number of accidental drug overdose deaths goes DOWN about 20% (Not UP as SLED has claimed).

If you're in favor of finally ending enforcement of 1930s-era "Reefer Madness" laws based on Jim Crow Racism, contact your SC representatives!

Do YOU still think cannabis should remain illegal as it is? If so, you probably believe one or more of many MYTHS that still stigmatize cannabis!

Why don't we dispel those myths for you? The Marijuana Policy Project (an off-shoot of NORML) has an informative web page to do just that.

Marijuana Mythbusters (April 26, 2023)

PREVIEW: "Despite the ever-growing evidence of the broad and transformative benefits of cannabis reform in states across the country, opponents of replacing cannabis prohibition with sensible laws and regulations frequently make claims that, at first blush, sound alarming. However, upon closer examination, their key sources lack credibility and distort the truth.

Misinformation and scare tactics remain very real obstacles as we’re fighting an increasingly uphill battle to continue advancing reform across the country. Below we dispel the top ten myths that prohibitionists often perpetuate."
No, I said that I agreed with your position, just had the one problem. I remember when they were determined to find what a lethal dose of THC was but they could not. Those poor lab dogs. Or maybe they liked it. 🙂

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
No, I said that I agreed with your position, just had the one problem. I remember when they were determined to find what a lethal dose of THC was but they could not.

In a Google search, this came up... "Generally, there are minimal side effects when using cannabis to get high. According to Americans for Safe Access, a person would need to smoke the equivalent of 1,500 pounds of cannabis in 15 minutes to overdose. However, this is untested and more or less impossible."

Those poor lab dogs. Or maybe they liked it. 🙂

It wasn't dogs. It was monkeys that were used (& abused) in aggressive testing to find cannabis harms. Almost all early cannabis research was done to try to find HARM, not cures. Almost no research was approved to find medical cures! This is why we're still so far behind in research today!

Considering those testing monkeys were being force-fed smoke while slowly being asphyxiated until they passed out or died, I don't think they liked it.

420people.jpg

Last edited:

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
Comparison of many diseases proven to be caused by (or associated with) the use of Tobacco, Alcohol and Cannabis. For the first two, this is NOT a complete list. For the latter, cannabis doesn't cause Schizophrenia, but anyone who has it should avoid using cannabis so it doesn't become worse.

Attachments

• tobacco-vs-alcohol-vs-marijuana.jpg
    tobacco-vs-alcohol-vs-marijuana.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 1

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
Comparison of many diseases proven to be caused by (or associated with) the use of Tobacco, Alcohol and Cannabis. For the first two, this is NOT a complete list. For the latter, cannabis doesn't cause Schizophrenia, but anyone who has it should avoid using cannabis so it doesn't become worse.
I think we get it. You either like to get high or are a staunch defender of people who do. As someone whose brother is the biggest pothead imaginable and has seen how his life choices (pot being a priority) have affected him, I simply disagree.

DJGamecock

Feb 12, 2022
As someone whose brother is the biggest pothead imaginable and has seen how his life choices (pot being a priority) have affected him, I simply disagree.

I'm sorry you feel that way about your brother. Hopefully, he's living in one of the 24 states where cannabis is currently legal for adults 21 & up.

One of my nephews got busted for weed and my sister was so POed about it, she refused to bail him out. I had to drive from out of state to help.

happy4th.jpg

Here's the thing that bugs me. If cannabis was LEGAL in his state when he got severe back pain, he would still be alive today. Instead, he became addicted to opioids. He incorrectly thought he had developed a tolerance for opioid pills and took one pill too many. That was a fatal mistake. :(

Sadly, corrupt SLED Chief Mark Keel & SC State Attorney General Alan Wilson are still spreading 1930s-era "Reefer Madness" LIES to block reform!

The SC State Republican Party does the same and even set up a FAKE FORM EMAIL where citizens got a personalized ANTI-CANNABIS email from their local County Sheriff saying why they're against SC allowing patients to get healing cannabis medicine with the approval of a medical doctor.

alan-wilson2.jpg

Can you believe SC's State Attorney General actually said "Marijuana is the most dangerous drug in America" in the middle of an ongoing deadly opioid overdose crisis that is now killing over 100,000 Americans annually? It shows his stupidity & proves he is clearly a puppet for Chief Keel.

Both Keel & Wilson have falsely claimed drunk driving deaths would go up if SC passed a medical bill. HOGWASH! (Deaths may go down 15%.)

If SC passed a REAL medical cannabis bill with full access to the healing cannabis flowers, opioid DEATHS in SC would GO DOWN by about 20%!

Few folks are aware of this, but SC has already passed a (Very) WEAK medical cannabis bill & it was signed into law way back in 1980. Sadly, you almost had to be on your deathbed with cancer to qualify for it. It relied on the Feds for supply. End result? No SC patients were ever helped.

Yes, this OLD law could still be updated and fixed to create a new MMJ program, completely self-funded using only cannabis grown within SC!

The article linked below asks if SC was "the first medical state" with this bill. SC was actually the 3rd state.

South Carolina the first Medical Marijuana state?

Last edited: