Player financial education needed even more now

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Carl Nassib has talked about the need for player financial literacy as it relates to planning their future. This may be even more important now.

I attended a evening reception at a small local college where my wife has be

en a volunteer for years. At the dinner we sat with a man who works for a sports management firm. They handle athletes from all sports and cover their contracts, financial planning, taxes and major investments. He has been in the business over 25 years and is a lawyer and has an accounting degree. he said that financial literacy has been a problem for years, but has been getting better - and commented about the work that Carl has been doing for NFL players. However, he said they are now seeing a new problem with players coming out of the larger college revenue sports. A couple points he made:

• Most players do not realize how short the career is and the amount of money they can save will not last the rest of their life - so they will need to make a living in the real world. Only a small number pack that kind of money away. Many are not prepared to have a real profession/job.
  • Players coming out college now are asking about NIL. He says they have to tell players that less than 5% of all players make any significant money from NIL. No advertiser is paying a backup or special teams player for their services unless they have some other cache. He said players ask aren't there other sources of NIL $$$ where it is just for being on the team. He has to explain to them that is called their player compensation which the NFL tracks very closely as there is a salary cap. The players think NIL is comp for playing as opposed to off the field income.
  • Many are shocked at how little they are making after tax and the difference between the top players and the bottom. Also the NIL$$$ are going more toward the top income players. State Farm is not signing up the backup center.
  • He said some say they thought now that they have made it they were set for life.
  • He did say the players who last longer in the league > 10 years tend to be better grounded as they have earned more but also understand the realities. Many often expand their education while playing to prepare for life.
  • He said one big miss is health care as many players will suffer late in life and need medical treatment. If they have not prepared, this can be a financial killer..
  • He said that players from some schools seem to be better prepared - they have a lot of NW athletes and he said they are much better prepared. Also players who have had real NIL deals seem better prepared.
Most of these things are what all of us learn early in our careers, but are escaping these athletes. The growth of NIL in college - which is mostly pay for play has really tainted many players expectations. they are not prepared for the real world.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Commonly cited statistic: more than 75% of pro athletes are broke within three years of retirement. That number will get worse as college sports move to an increasingly pay-for-play model.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Commonly cited statistic: more than 75% of pro athletes are broke within three years of retirement. That number will get worse as college sports move to an increasingly pay-for-play model.

Live large and in charge.

Reactions: Bison13

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
teach debt free living
that has been Carl's message to players - live debt free and below your means. Instead some leverage and buy as if they are "rich" or even start trying take care of the relatives and friends. Rookie contract that flames out after 3 years is not taking care of you for life. One of the benefits of students being college students is that some of them at least get prepared for the next life after sports.

the guy we were talking with has done college athlete education programs and that is how they get some of their clients. He was very complimentary of Caitlin Clark as one who had themselves in the right place.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Agreed.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
teach debt free living
That works a lot better when your income increases as you get older. Your lifestyle increases with your income. If you make $5m when you are 25 and live a $1m lifestyle, you are living debt free, but the lifestyle change when the income ends is going to hurt. Especially if the income ends at 26.
But teaching the concept would be beneficial most of the time.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
That works a lot better when your income increases as you get older. Your lifestyle increases with your income. If you make $5m when you are 25 and live a $1m lifestyle, you are living debt free, but the lifestyle change when the income ends is going to hurt. Especially if the income ends at 26.
But teaching the concept would be beneficial most of the time.
Ok, how bout “kid free”.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
I have to imagine the broke in three years stat mostly affects the already poor players. The average US born kid I see today playing any sport other than football and basketball comes from a family with some money. Maybe the “some money” family doesn’t know how to deal with 10 million at one shot, but I doubt those are the guys going broke unless you have a real meathead for a kid. As the real wallet cost to gain entrance into the sports gets higher, I bet you will see less and less of this going completely broke in the professional ranks.

I also have to imagine that the real killer is the insane amount of credit they suddenly have access to, which probably guarantees future failure. Sure, some guys are straight cash, but can you imagine the damage they do with their monthly credit card statements, mortgage, leases, etc? Add in a few child support payments, a wife who likes to spend, a girlfriend or two, your agent, and a couple unsavory folks who you “supplement” and that should just about do it.

i also heard that a lot of these guys become the local interest free bank as they get approached to start business ventures with their local friends and family. Unfortunately, uncle Ted and HS classmate Ricky don’t know as much about car washes or starting an online clothing company as they claimed they did, and that money gets flushed down the drain.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
This is true for all students, especially before they sign their student loan paperwork

Reactions: Psu00

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I have to imagine the broke in three years stat mostly affects the already poor players. The average US born kid I see today playing any sport other than football and basketball comes from a family with some money. Maybe the “some money” family doesn’t know how to deal with 10 million at one shot, but I doubt those are the guys going broke unless you have a real meathead for a kid. As the real wallet cost to gain entrance into the sports gets higher, I bet you will see less and less of this going completely broke in the professional ranks.

I also have to imagine that the real killer is the insane amount of credit they suddenly have access to, which probably guarantees future failure. Sure, some guys are straight cash, but can you imagine the damage they do with their monthly credit card statements, mortgage, leases, etc? Add in a few child support payments, a wife who likes to spend, a girlfriend or two, your agent, and a couple unsavory folks who you “supplement” and that should just about do it.

i also heard that a lot of these guys become the local interest free bank as they get approached to start business ventures with their local friends and family. Unfortunately, uncle Ted and HS classmate Ricky don’t know as much about car washes or starting an online clothing company as they claimed they did, and that money gets flushed down the drain.
The culture that the kids come from is the biggest determinant IMO. I work with/coach these kids and have had a few go on to D1 or even pro sports but if they have all their 'people' that they grew up with pulling them down, they will never make it. Too many of them have to "keep it in the streets" or something like that. I always try to tell the kids who are from that type of group to go to school as far away as they can so that the pull from their people back home is lessened.

Taking their first check and spending it all on their friends is fine but its the continuous spending for all of them that ruins it.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The culture that the kids come from is the biggest determinant IMO. I work with/coach these kids and have had a few go on to D1 or even pro sports but if they have all their 'people' that they grew up with pulling them down, they will never make it. Too many of them have to "keep it in the streets" or something like that. I always try to tell the kids who are from that type of group to go to school as far away as they can so that the pull from their people back home is lessened.

Taking their first check and spending it all on their friends is fine but its the continuous spending for all of them that ruins it.

”Friends”

😞