Possible 8 Team CFP Proposal

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I think the 4 team system is going to get even worse moving forward with the same few teams getting in every year. I think it's going make the regular season almost pointless because we will know which teams are getting in from the start. I prefer an 8 team system with the P5 conference champs getting an automatic slot.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
These conferences can raise the 8-team format all they want but the SEC sees themselves as ruling dictator of college football and will reject it. They want 4 or 12 to continue their monopoly of the sport.

For the record, I prefer 8 but my opinion means zero.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Oklahoma and ND say yay.

I prefer 12 to 16, like March Madness 14 -16 can make it interesting, otherwise a SEC & ND love fest.

K-Live

Oct 6, 2021
More than 8 brings 3-loss teams into the equation. I see no reason why they should have their slate wiped clean and be rewarded like a 0/1-loss team.
Well then, Maybe the 0/1 loss teams can beat those 3 loss teams in the playoffs based on seeding. 9-3 teams are many times better teams than their 3 loss records indicate. This would make the post season so much more fun and interesting especially with upsets. That’s what always made college sports fun to watch, at least for me anyway. Any given Saturday…can’t wait to see Alabama, Georgia Oklahoma Ohio State and the occasional Clemson (although not this year) in the annual post season. Yay

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Potential for an 8 team CFP proposal to be put forth. Rather keep as is, but better than 12 at least. Of course all pending on approval.
That probably makes too much sense for the current rulers of college football.

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
I still say go to 16 with conference championship games being the 1st round. You can include the top 6 or 7 major leagues and still have 2 or 4 at large bids. Re-Draw the seedings after the conference championship games for the round of 8.

Edit. Forgot to include that the losers of the round of 16 are still bowl eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin310

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
The current system 4 team playoff is an improvement to the old system. I believe an 8 team playoff will be an improvement as well. But don’t think for a moment that much will change in the end. If it ended right now you would have.....
Michigan vs. Georgia ✔️
Notre Dame vs. Alabama ✔️
Cincinnati vs. Oregon ✔️
Ohio St. vs. Oklahoma ✔️

Oklahoma vs. Georgia ✔
Oregon vs. Alabama ✔️

Alabama vs. Georgia ✔️

Very little changed. Right?

Last edited:

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
More than 8 brings 3-loss teams into the equation. I see no reason why they should have their slate wiped clean and be rewarded like a 0/1-loss team.
That has merit only if all schedules are same SOS. Three losses in the BIG East or SEC West is not the same as 1-2 losses in the ACC. I can see where a 2 loss champion gets in but less likely 3 losses. Think it would be very rare.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I don’t particularly care how many teams are in the playoff or what the exact system is as long as it’s not the subjective, “eye test” BS that has always ruled college football.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
That has merit only if all schedules are same SOS. Three losses in the BIG East or SEC West is not the same as 1-2 losses in the ACC. I can see where a 2 loss champion gets in but less likely 3 losses. Think it would be very rare.
Think what would be rare, a 3-loss team being invited? Based on the 12 team proposal and CFP rankings from 2014-2019, there would have been 13 3-loss teams over that 6 year timeframe.

Thinking back to a couple PSU bowl opponents, ‘96 Texas and ‘05 FSU would have been invited with 4-losses.

3-losses in the B1G East or SEC West still means the slate gets wiped clean compared to the 0/1-loss team from the same division.

Someone please explain why that is just? Not being able to deal with you team being eliminated before November isn’t just.

Reactions: McCringleberry

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Well then, Maybe the 0/1 loss teams can beat those 3 loss teams in the playoffs based on seeding.
That’s a cop out excuse. the more times something is attempted, the odds of it happening increase.

Teams that need a do-over + do-over + do-over shouldn’t be rewarded with an opportunity to be the MNC.

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
That’s a cop out excuse. the more times something is attempted, the odds of it happening increase.

Teams that need a do-over + do-over + do-over shouldn’t be rewarded with an opportunity to be the MNC.
Why?

The Braves just won a world series with only 89 regular season wins. The 107 and 106-win teams got beat. Fair or unfair?

Wild card teams have won the super bowl a number of times. Fair or unfair?

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
Think what would be rare, a 3-loss team being invited? Based on the 12 team proposal and CFP rankings from 2014-2019, there would have been 13 3-loss teams over that 6 year timeframe.

Thinking back to a couple PSU bowl opponents, ‘96 Texas and ‘05 FSU would have been invited with 4-losses.

3-losses in the B1G East or SEC West still means the slate gets wiped clean compared to the 0/1-loss team from the same division.

Someone please explain why that is just? Not being able to deal with you team being eliminated before November isn’t just.
I get your point but using a few 1,2 or 4 byes and playing say 5 vs 12, etc isn’t totally wiping the slate clean. I can live with anything that changes recruiting for the 4-6 elite teams. As I’ve been saying the “Elite” win, recruit and play in CFP because of a viscous cycle set up with the four team selection committee. As an aside, I would make league championships mean something. The winner gets in regardless of record. Balanced leagues would have more losses but it would be on the field action. Might even give spots to non-power Five leagues the way MBB does. Make ND play minimum 6 games in some league (that may be ACC) and a couple of at-large teams for Conference runner ups. IMLTHO

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I get your point but using a few 1,2 or 4 byes and playing say 5 vs 12, etc isn’t totally wiping the slate clean. I can live with anything that changes recruiting for the 4-6 elite teams. As I’ve been saying the “Elite” win, recruit and play in CFP because of a viscous cycle set up with the four team selection committee. As an aside, I would make league championships mean something. The winner gets in regardless of record. Balanced leagues would have more losses but it would be on the field action. Might even give spots to non-power Five leagues the way MBB does. Make ND play minimum 6 games in some league (that may be ACC) and a couple of at-large teams for Conference runner ups. IMLTHO
In a year or two there will be 4 major conferences left. 4-team tournament made up of those conference championship teams just makes the most sense to me. Straight forward and not subjective. Conference championship games would become a de facto first playoff round.
The idea of Condi Rice and Gene Smith plowing through dishes of onion dip while discussing which 4 teams should be in the playoff is so ridiculous it’s hard to believe that’s how it’s really done.

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
In a year or two there will be 4 major conferences left. 4-team tournament made up of those conference championship teams just makes the most sense to me. Straight forward and not subjective. Conference championship games would become a de facto first playoff round.
The idea of Condi Rice and Gene Smith plowing through dishes of onion dip while discussing which 4 teams should be in the playoff is so ridiculous it’s hard to believe that’s how it’s really done.
It’s actually plowing through the onion dip part I like😂

• Haha
Reactions: Connorpozlee
Nov 1, 2021
Why?

The Braves just won a world series with only 89 regular season wins. The 107 and 106-win teams got beat. Fair or unfair?

Wild card teams have won the super bowl a number of times. Fair or unfair?
That’s what makes college football unique though. You can’t win just by getting hot at the right time. You have to do it all year. A 16 team playoff would seriously dilute the regular season. 8 teams with each P5 conference winner getting in, the top G5 team getting in, and 2 at-large bids would be perfect.

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
I say the more the better. I hate when college football ends in January. If we could get more meaningful games after the seasons are over instead of 30 meaningless bowl games I think it would be great.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
That’s what makes college football unique though. You can’t win just by getting hot at the right time. You have to do it all year. A 16 team playoff would seriously dilute the regular season. 8 teams with each P5 conference winner getting in, the top G5 team getting in, and 2 at-large bids would be perfect.
No to at large bids for me. No subjectivity. You have an 8-team playoff if you make the conference championship games (of the 4 conferences left) the first playoff round.

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
I'm for anything that doesn't give a free ride to lower tier places like Boise who contributed nothing to making bowls what they are today.

lions1995

Oct 29, 2021
I say 12 teams with all 10 Conference Champions getting in and 2 at large bids. If there are going to be 10 conferences in the top division of college football, they all should have a shot a winning the title. Top 4 rated teams get a by, with 5-12 playing to see which 4 join them.

Oct 15, 2021
Rice hasn't been a part of it for 5 years now, Smith was out in 2019. You now have John Urschel plowing through the onion dip, does that make you feel better?

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
I think a 12-team set-up probably helps Penn State more than an 8-team format, but I'm probably in agreement more with the Pac-12 approach that a 12-team playoff needs some more hashing out of the details on how to decide the participants.

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
Why just power 5 conferences? Expand to 16 and let all conference champions into the dance. The power 5 love to go on and on about how much more dominant they are…let them prove it….if they’re correct, then it should be an easy 1st round. That takes up 10 spots, then have 6 wildcards consisting of the best of the rest, regardless of conference.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Rice hasn't been a part of it for 5 years now, Smith was out in 2019. You now have John Urschel plowing through the onion dip, does that make you feel better?
No.
I was just using those two as examples of who has been on the committee. The idea of a committee deciding who should be in the playoff is absurd.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
Why just power 5 conferences? Expand to 16 and let all conference champions into the dance. The power 5 love to go on and on about how much more dominant they are…let them prove it….if they’re correct, then it should be an easy 1st round. That takes up 10 spots, then have 6 wildcards consisting of the best of the rest, regardless of conference.
This has been my position all along. How can you call anything a championship when over 60 teams have no chance due to conference affiliation? There are 10 leagues and all must be represented to have a real championship. This year UTSA is 9-0 and they are ranked...outside of the top 25. Cincinatti is ranked 6.

When undefeated UGA takes on 1 loss Bama in the SEC title game and Georgia wins and 2 loss Bama still gets in the playoff because we know they are good. Then we end up with OSU, OU, UGA and Bama and all will be well in the world.

If you want this fixed then fix it. The other divisions seem to be able to.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r