PSU - Iowa St. College Wrestling Duals thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184: Aaron Brooks vs. Marcus Coleman (MC)

This should be a battle.

Per 1
AB in on a single, MC with a counter, but they are OOB. AB in on a single, Coleman with a whizzer, a bit of a scramble, and AB with the TD, 2-0. End. RT @ 41 sec for AB

Per 2
AB takes bottom. AB to his feet, and finally gets away 3-0. RT down to 7 sec for AB. AB in on a single, and they roll and AB is on his back, but AB eventually rolls thru. It's 2 for the TD and 4 for the NF makes it 3-6. Stall warning on MC for hanging on below the waist. End

Per 3
MC takes bottom. MC up to his feet, and AB cuts him, 3-7. AB in, and MC with a whizzer. Nothing. AB back in and gets the TD with a double, 5-7. AB tries to tilt but MC with a reversal, 5-9. AB works to his feet, then hits a roll and gets the reversal, 7-9. End.

Wow, I didn't expect that.

13-12, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
197: Max Dean vs. Yonger Bastida (I'll go with YB)

A rare match where Dean is the lower ranked wrestler

Per 1
Not a lot thru 2 min. And nothing thru 3 min. End

Per 2
Dean takes bottom. He's up quickly and out, 1-0. YB shoots in and gets a leg, Dean with a roll and gets the TD on the counter, 3-0. Nice move by Dean. End. RT @ 24 sec. for Dean

Per 3
YB takes bottom. YB tries to sit out, but is stopped. YB is out but RT is at 1:02 for Dean. 3-1. Under 1 min left. YB shoots, nothing. YB shoots but that's the end of the period. With 1:02 RT, it's a 4-1 DEC for Max Dean.

16-12, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
extra match:

Konner Kraeszig (PSU) vs. Joel Devine (JD)

Per 1
KK gets behind and gets the TD, 2-0. JD gets a reversal, and then KK with a reversal just before the end of the period. 4-2.

Per 2
KK takes bottom. A long scramble, and eventually a stalemate. KK to 4 pt, and then KK is out, 5-2. JD in on a shot, KK grabs a leg, they scramble and the period ends. RT @ 1:01 for JD

Per 3
JD takes bottom. KK puts on a good ride. OOB with 50 sec left. KK with the pin @ 6:33. Wow. Good for him.

Reactions: Garw and Lion in KY

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
CStar to be interviewed:

Q: That was a great dual meet
- thank you very much

Q: Your development and focus. Talk about the mindset you have in your 3rd year for PSU
- it's been a heck of a journey. I'm always thinking; how can I get better at this or that. It's awesome seeing how the freshmen handle themselves and go after it

Q: Your loss in your freshman campaign. How beneficial is the experience that Facundo and Van Ness against top competition tonight? It has to also be a confidence builder
- 100%. If I were those guys, I wouldn't think of it as a confidence builder. It's really good. Shayne is smiling with his family. Alex is smiling with his family. They have control over their emotions and will have a lot of success

Q: The elite guys over the years handle the wins and the loses
- yeah, it will be fun watching us keep climbing and growing

Q:Talk about RBY
- these guys (opponents) don't really want to wrestle. Roman is a blast. How he prepares. How he competes. How he manages his weight. I'm taking notes when he's wrestling

Q: How special is Levi Haines. He approaches each day with the right mentality.
- He's been doing open tournaments. It's different when you're traveling with the team. He doesn't back down from anybody. He has a killer instinct. It was impressive how he did here

Q: Talk about Aaron Brooks.
- I wouldn't even call it a loss for Aaron. That guy came, but Aaron will beat him 99% of the time. It helps you refocus. What can I do better to get on the right path. I told him it took a lot of balls to fight off his back. I'm not too worried about Aaron

Q: Max Dean
- that was impressive. Bastida is a tough wrestler. It was cool to see Max go out there and blow him out a bit, especially after his two recent loses. It comes quick. You have to enjoy the moments. I used to be watching, and now I'm competing for PSU. We love wooping on people.

Q: Talk about Christmas break
- normally I go home and train with Paniro Johnson. I was thinking of taking some time off this time, but I know that I'll probably be in the room back home working out.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
some craziness at 184 in today's action at the Collegiate Wrestling Duals.

Most recent Intermat rankings:

1. Aaron Brooks
2. Trent Hidlay
3. Parker Keckeisen
4. Marcus Coleman

So what happened:

1st this happened:

#3 Parker Keckeisen pinned #2 Trent Hidlay

Then this happened:

#4 Marcus Coleman defeated #1 Aaron Brooks, 9-7

jbeldingk

Oct 7, 2021
Johnson is ranked 5th. At Nationals no way he gets away with stalling that much. SNV will beat him next time. He’s right there.
SVN never got close to a takedown. He was moving forward the whole match and cranking in Paniro’s head. I could see a second stall call, but not the most egregious no-call