PSU Run game vs. AUBURN

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Like everyone else, really stoked about Singleton but I think in this game vs Auburn, PSU will need to give Kaytron Allen more reps as he is much better between the tackles. Not sure Singleton is going to be able run outside as easily against Auburn as he did against Ohio.
Given game is @ Auburn, crowd will be more of a factor than it was @ Purdue.
Still concerned about Clifford holding the ball too long. Wll probably be emphasized by Yurcich this week that he has to be quicker with his decisions.
Expecting a close game like Purdue.

wile e coyote

Aug 1, 2021
AU’s run defense is pretty stout. Better take advantage of our soft DB coverage.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
AU’s run defense is pretty stout. Better take advantage of our soft DB coverage.
Haven't watched ur team yet this year, but I expect ur run defense will be stout. That is the reason we might need to use Allen more. Singleton will not get the edge easily against Auburn as he did against Ohio U. PSU will have to run some inside to set up the passing game and Allen is more likely to get the tough yards.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Like everyone else, really stoked about Singleton but I think in this game vs Auburn, PSU will need to give Kaytron Allen more reps as he is much better between the tackles. Not sure Singleton is going to be able run outside as easily against Auburn as he did against Ohio.
Still concerned about Clifford holding the ball too long. Wll probably be emphasized by Yurcich this week that he has to be quicker with his decisions.
The most important thing is to not fumble. Young RBs are usually susceptible to that.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
The most important thing is to not fumble. Young RBs are usually susceptible to that.
True, and especially in the PSU end of the field. Cannot afford to give Auburn a short field with the two RBs they have and a QB that can run well.

Reactions: bdgan

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I suspect it's going to be a struggle to consistently pick up positive yardage on the ground. Hopefully Singleton can break off a couple long gainers if we can somehow get past the front 7.

Reactions: bdgan

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
O-line has been a problem for both teams for several years.
This fact is just another reminder of the many similarities these two programs seem to share. They both have national championships in the past, a ton of tradition, similar rankings in terms of team talent composite (according to 247), and currently find themselves in the two most difficult divisions in college football. It is why I find this home-and-home series to be so intriguing.

hapval8286

Nov 2, 2021
I think this is the kind of game where Singleton needs to be the primary back with 15-20 carries. That will decrease AU's chances of predicting the type of run play PSU will call based on who is in the game (Allen inside/Singleton outside). He can carry the load this week and have less carries next week.
Last game, it looked like Singleton's long runs vs Ohio started off inside but broke them outside. If Singleton can set them up with some inside runs, he can catch them off guard eventually and bust one outside for a big gain or TD. Use Allen/Lee sparingly to give Singleton a rest as well as on specific short yardage situations.

From Atherton to Auburn

Jun 5, 2022
This fact is just another reminder of the many similarities these two programs seem to share. They both have national championships in the past, a ton of tradition, similar rankings in terms of team talent composite (according to 247), and currently find themselves in the two most difficult divisions in college football. It is why I find this home-and-home series to be so intriguing.
I was a junior at Penn State the last time Penn State won a national championship and I'm now 55. #3 is long overdue

From Atherton to Auburn

Jun 5, 2022
Not sure why 94 isn’t considered a national champion since they are mythical anyways, like figure skate judging at the Olympics.
Penn State could claim it -- 1994 has a stronger basis than some of the championships Bama claims -- but they don't so there's no chance it gets recognized