Question about our National Anthem and sporting events...

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Most have seen videos where the mic or recording cuts out and the crowd itself picks up the ball and finishes the National Anthem - even in other countries. Why not just ask the crowd at the onset to sing it? Get them started w/ a little music, then let them do it.

Reactions: OhioLion

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Most have seen videos where the mic or recording cuts out and the crowd itself picks up the ball and finishes the National Anthem - even in other countries. Why not just ask the crowd at the onset to sing it? Get them started w/ a little music, then let them do it.
For high school events, I prefer when one of the students sings it. That’s generally the only time the entire group in attendance is respectful enough to stay quiet for the whole thing.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
For high school events, I prefer when one of the students sings it. That’s generally the only time the entire group in attendance is respectful enough to stay quiet for the whole thing.
Do it say once a home season, or maybe for a big game sometime. Those fans that don't understand and don't appreciate it would have a stake in it suddenly. Like a giant flash mob, only not annoying.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
At PSU football games, a lot of the fans are singing, at least in our section.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Just do it as an instrumental. I know many people have their favorites but there is a NY Fireman (I think, or policeman) that does it and he's pretty much awesome but I much prefer it as either an instrumental or having a band perform it.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Just do it as an instrumental. I know many people have their favorites but there is a NY Fireman (I think, or policeman) that does it and he's pretty much awesome but I much prefer it as either an instrumental or having a band perform it.
Too many individual artists put their own spin on it. And it's far too often a disaster, imo.
We are all victims of Whitney Houston's fantastic version 30+ years ago... too many people think they can create the same magic. Other than her, the anthem is best left to a straight-on rendition, whether by an individual or group.
But at a sporting event where a band is present, gimme the band instrumental and the crowd singing and be done with it.
No band? Play a marching band version over the PA, or find a local talent who will stick to the script.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Too many individual artists put their own spin on it. And it's far too often a disaster, imo.
We are all victims of Whitney Houston's fantastic version 30+ years ago... too many people think they can create the same magic. Other than her, the anthem is best left to a straight-on rendition, whether by an individual or group.
But at a sporting event where a band is present, gimme the band instrumental and the crowd singing and be done with it.
No band? Play a marching band version over the PA, or find a local talent who will stick to the script.
Agreed- it's not yours, it's ours- don't muck around with it.

Reactions: BW Lion

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Agreed- it's not yours, it's ours- don't muck around with it.
You are wrong. - like any other artistic endeavor it's how the artist interprets it. And since the artist is an American that means 'they' are 'us'

You may not care for the style or interpretation but that does not make it categorically wrong.

i always enjoyed this version.

Last edited:

Ceasar

Oct 7, 2021
You are wrong. - like any other artistic endeavor it's how the artist interprets it. And since the artist is an American that means 'they' are 'us'

You may not care for the style or interpretation but that does not muse it categorically wrong.

i always enjoyed this version.

Never heard that rendition before, that was outstanding. Thanks for linking it, ro.

Reactions: Shep and psuro

troutrus

Oct 7, 2021
I think it’s a bit outdated. I never cared for the fact that our anthem ends with a question mark.
With so many in our nation seeming to have turned all holy and stuff, perhaps we should just switch over to using Key’s fourth stanza.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
I think it’s a bit outdated. I never cared for the fact that our anthem ends with a question mark.
With so many in our nation seeming to have turned all holy and stuff, perhaps we should just switch over to using Key’s fourth stanza.
I'm more of a God Bless America fan for lyrics and tune, or even My Country Tis Of Thee, for lyrics. Liberty, freedom, national pride all come through throughout the songs. Just imo.
I think we could get some rockin' good versions of GBA. ala Kate Smith. Booming that first note, the crowd pumped up to hit it all together, everyone pounding through the song, or even an actual artist doing it... just sayin'. And still fine and dandy for the band to play!

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
So, there a couple of answers to your question;

1. Most people (crowds) tend to sing along, rather than have the necessary volition to start singing on their own. Starting with music AND providing them the lyrics would be a start, but you still need to provide a voice for them to follow.

2. Sports markets Nationalism as if it's Patriotism, and the masses believe these to be one and the same. Because in almost every reasonably successful society, sports is near the top of the socio-economic and cultural ladder(s). So, sports are very important to each nation and society.

3. It's generally not bad press for the musician to stand in front of a large crowd and sing the National Anthem. Unless they completely eff it up.....but I digress.

4. The mic or equipment goes bad because things break - it happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
In Europe, they don't sing their anthems, except at national team games. They just get on with it (but often do have a team song).

Reactions: Bob78

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
In Europe, they don't sing their anthems, except at national team games. They just get on with it (but often do have a team song).
When i visited some Asian countries (before the expanse of TV and internet) -the national anthem of that country was played between the two feature movies at cinemas. Every one got up from their seats and sang along. The country 's flag was on the screen during this.