Question for the BWI team re subscriptions

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I get that On3 is a startup and it owns and operates the platform that we are communicating on right now. This is now an on-line competitor to Rivals. Guessing that On3 is actually running on a hosted platform like AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google, etc, but this is their platform they are probably writing big cloud subscription checks for. However, outside of the content they are showing on the Home site, all these other channels' content would be created by other entities. Presumably, On3 gets some fee from anyone creating the on-line content on one of the channels they would technically control. My question is around the owners of BWI and how the on-line vs print publishing are related - as I am a print subscriber.

I understand that Coman Publishing in Durham acquired the BWI print business, which Nate, Ryan, Greg, TFrank, David and Phil contribute to, and assume all of you are paid nicely in some fashion by them. In the magazine they advertise the BWI on-line content - post game, YouTube Channel, podcasts, etc. Does Coman also own this on-line operation, and pay On3 for the Penn State channels on that site? So can you just pay Coman for a universal subscription and get everything printed and on-line? That is what I do for my Wall Street Journal - one unified price buys everything. If you can do that, i think the majority of the print subscribers would just jump on the whole nine yards and get both print and on-line.

I called the customer service line at Coman, and that conversation was let's say unusual. They seemed to be oblivious. If the on-line is a completely different company with different owners but the same employees as the print, then it is more complicated. Appreciate any feedback.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Sounds like maybe the IRS or the FCC is snooping around. Don't you know you have to tell us if you're a cop?? 🤨

I admire the depth of your curiosity considering you actually called Coman and asked them. I can imagine the conversation on their side after the call ended. I seriously doubt the customer service folks are in the loop you were looking for.

But keep fighting the fight. Let us know if you find anything good!! 🙂👍

Last edited:

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Sounds like maybe the IRS or the FCC is snooping around. Don't you know you have to tell us if you're a cop?? 🤨

I admire the depth of your curiosity considering you actually called Coman and asked them. I can imagine the conversation on their side after the call ended. I seriously doubt the customer service folks are in the loop you were looking for.

But keep fighting the fight. Let us know if you find anything good!! 🙂👍
not a cop, just a subscriber seeing if there is an easier method to purchase both sides. most print publications offer this option.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I get that On3 is a startup and it owns and operates the platform that we are communicating on right now. This is now an on-line competitor to Rivals. Guessing that On3 is actually running on a hosted platform like AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google, etc, but this is their platform they are probably writing big cloud subscription checks for. However, outside of the content they are showing on the Home site, all these other channels' content would be created by other entities. Presumably, On3 gets some fee from anyone creating the on-line content on one of the channels they would technically control. My question is around the owners of BWI and how the on-line vs print publishing are related - as I am a print subscriber.

I understand that Coman Publishing in Durham acquired the BWI print business, which Nate, Ryan, Greg, TFrank, David and Phil contribute to, and assume all of you are paid nicely in some fashion by them. In the magazine they advertise the BWI on-line content - post game, YouTube Channel, podcasts, etc. Does Coman also own this on-line operation, and pay On3 for the Penn State channels on that site? So can you just pay Coman for a universal subscription and get everything printed and on-line? That is what I do for my Wall Street Journal - one unified price buys everything. If you can do that, i think the majority of the print subscribers would just jump on the whole nine yards and get both print and on-line.

I called the customer service line at Coman, and that conversation was let's say unusual. They seemed to be oblivious. If the on-line is a completely different company with different owners but the same employees as the print, then it is more complicated. Appreciate any feedback.
Separate business lines of Coman.