Question for the PA guys, regarding the Turnpike...

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I was driving back from the game and got on at Bedford. There were signs that said no gas for the next 243 miles but all the rest stops and stations I passed, which I think are at least 3 before my exit onto 83, cars were getting gas at the pumps. 🤷‍♂️

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
I was driving back from the game and got on at Bedford. There were signs that said no gas for the next 243 miles but all the rest stops and stations I passed, which I think are at least 3 before my exit onto 83, cars were getting gas at the pumps. 🤷‍♂️

The rest stops on I76 do have gas stations.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Follow this link for why one of the plazas was closed:

BTW, turnpike gas is almost always wildly overpriced. Get it before you get on or after you depart.

GasBuddy is your friend. I already have our gas stops mapped out for the drive down south this week for the game. Typically, Sams and Costco will have the cheapest gas, but not always. Again, I recommend GasBuddy if you are seeking the best price.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
I am a wee bit confuddled. You got on at Bedford and drove to your exit onto 83? I am not familiar with Western PA and when I read 83, did you mean I-83 near Harrisburg? Is there another 83 in western PA somewhere? Or are you going that way to get on 83 to go South of HBurg? Just curious. I have been taking 322 to 83 to go to destinations in Maryland but hate going thru HBurg the way the GPS takes me.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I am a wee bit confuddled. You got on at Bedford and drove to your exit onto 83? I am not familiar with Western PA and when I read 83, did you mean I-83 near Harrisburg? Is there another 83 in western PA somewhere? Or are you going that way to get on 83 to go South of HBurg? Just curious. I have been taking 322 to 83 to go to destinations in Maryland but hate going thru HBurg the way the GPS takes me.
Needed to stop in Altoona so Yes, 99 to 76 E at Bedford. then till the 83 exit and then south.

VicVaselino

Oct 12, 2021
Nobody uses the turnpike anymore, it's too crowded.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Reactions: Bison13

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021

Pa. Turnpike Commission in more debt than entire state government, auditor general says​

Donald Glover Wow GIF by MOODMAN

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Had a HS teammate who was a state trooper in Carlisle area. He said the turnpike road crew that was west of there was terrible. He'd get a call for an accident or whatever and any time he needed Penn dot to come out it would take them over an hour to go 10 miles down the road. Turnpike jobs/contrracts have to be some of the most crooked in history.

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
At least the PA Turnpike is free now that the original construction costs have been paid off.
Well the TP may not be paid off but at least we have been able to rebuild Johnstown after the flood of 1936 with the Liquor Tax at the State Stores and since that is done and the tax dropped Liquor is way cheaper in PA than say Delaware - not sure how Total Wines stays in business across the border anymore.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Bison13

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021
At least the PA Turnpike is free now that the original construction costs have been paid off.
The PA Turnpike does seem to be free going westbound from the Cranberry exit. Not sure about any other stretches.

As for gas, I always try to fill up in Ohio or Maryland before heading onto the PA TPK.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Had a HS teammate who was a state trooper in Carlisle area. He said the turnpike road crew that was west of there was terrible. He'd get a call for an accident or whatever and any time he needed Penn dot to come out it would take them over an hour to go 10 miles down the road. Turnpike jobs/contrracts have to be some of the most crooked in history.
PennDOT takes a lot of heat but in the interest of fairness, PennDOT has nothing to do with road maintenance or traffic control on the turnpike. The turnpike crews are a completely separate entity. But you are certainly right about turnpike jobs being crooked. Over the years there have been countless stories about relatives/friends of connected people getting turnpike jobs over someone more qualified.

Reactions: Bison13 and 91Joe95

Mrdibbs

Oct 12, 2021
The PA Turnpike does seem to be free going westbound from the Cranberry exit. Not sure about any other stretches.

As for gas, I always try to fill up in Ohio or Maryland before heading onto the PA TPK.
The turnpike appears to be free, westbound from Cranberry (MP 29) into Ohio.

That was a command decision years ago with the assumption that those traveling west will return and they drastically increased to toll travelers pay at the eastbound entrance gate onto the PA turnpike.

There are ways to avoid that eastbound wallet rape, but if time is important, you got to pay the piper.