R.I.P., Roman Gabriel (83)

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
Gabe was a favorite sports hero of mine when he was a QB for the LA Rams. Physically imposing (even by today’s standard) Gabriel had one of the strongest arms I’ve ever seen in terms of deep passes. Roman Gabriel will be missed.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
The Gabriel led Rams were my favorite west coast team back then. Later saw Gabriel play live against the Buffalo Bills in 1973 when he was with the Eagles.

Pacolt

Oct 11, 2021
Had a great acting role in the movie Undefeated with John Wayne. Rams vs. Colts had some great games when he played.

Reactions: LionsAndBears

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Had a great acting role in the movie Undefeated with John Wayne. Rams vs. Colts had some great games when he played.
As a Colts fan growing up in the 60s, I could not wait for those games vs. the Rams and also vs. the Packers. I lived and died with each Colts game, like any fan, but those 4 games per season were always intense and closely fought and usually had a huge impact on the Division. As a young kid, I loved the late season games in LA, seeing the sun on the field and people in shirt sleeves, not shivering to their core while enjoying the game.

Gabriel's toughness stood out in an entire league of tough QBs. That stood until Joe Kapp came along, imo.
The Fearsome Foursome and Gabriel deserved more success (just not at the expense of my Colts!).

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim and Pacolt

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
You had to be a real star to be on the SI Poster checklist (along w/ your $3). He was there for years.

lobolion

Oct 23, 2021
I don't even know why, but I latched onto those Rams teams as my favorite NFL team back in the mid to late 60s, and haven't changed my stripes since. I adored Gabriel. RIP.

DTownlion57

Nov 1, 2021
😢

As a broadcaster Tom Brookshire said of Roman Gabriel..
Roman can throw a ball thru a car wash and not get it wet!
I think it was Jack Snow on many of his TD passes.
Very early NFL memories...

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
As a broadcaster Tom Brookshire said of Roman Gabriel..
Roman can throw a ball thru a car wash and not get it wet!
I think it was Jack Snow on many of his TD passes.
Very early NFL memories...
The first NFL game I can remember watching was the Packers-Rams Tony Guillory blocked punt game, 1967. Great game.

scocha409

Nov 1, 2021
I don't even know why, but I latched onto those Rams teams as my favorite NFL team back in the mid to late 60s, and haven't changed my stripes since. I adored Gabriel. RIP.
Ditto, my earliest football memory was a Rams game and Roman had two long TD's to Jack Snow, been Ram fan ever since!