R.I.P. WSUM, we hardly knew you

patdog

May 28, 2007
How much money has their president wasted on these various failed names and consulting groups to come up with these failed names? Her title is the one that needs to change most
It’s hard to imagine mishandling this as badly as she has. She’s lost any trust she ever had with the alumni. You have to let her go & bring in someone new to start over.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I can hear the legislators "This isn't going to workout. It's me,not you."

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I understand the reasoning, but man, adding Alcorn would be such a tax on us.
If they did it the right way (get rid of 75% of Alcorn administration) it wouldn't be bad. Streamline administration and increase professors and you're on to something. Sadly, they would never, so you're right.

PS- not that Alcorn administration is bad, I have no idea, just that a merge without trimming a lot of fat from somewhere is useless.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If they did it the right way (get rid of 75% of Alcorn administration) it wouldn't be bad. Streamline administration and increase professors and you're on to something. Sadly, they would never, so you're right.

PS- not that Alcorn administration is bad, I have no idea, just that a merge without trimming a lot of fat from somewhere is useless.
It's kind of like school systems, some counties have 3 or 4 of them in just 1 county which means duplicate administrators and lots of wasted money spent on them instead of the kids in the systems. There's 152 school systems in MS in only 82 counties

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
It's kind of like school systems, some counties have 3 or 4 of them in just 1 county which means duplicate administrators and lots of wasted money spent on them instead of the kids in the systems. There's 152 school systems in MS in only 82 counties
That's less than two per county

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
There is a puppet master there playing 3d chess with checker players.

Someone with a lot of stroke is working to get these ridiculous names thrown out there in order to derail a name change for the purpose to keeping MUW.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
There should be four state supported Universities in Mississippi. The three big ones, and only because it's in Jackson, Jackson State. UMC should be group project of all four under the IHL umbrella. That being said it will never happen, ever.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That's less than two per county
Alcorn County has 2, the county school district (made up of 3 high schools and their associated middle and elementary schools) and the city of Corinth School District with 1 high school (and its associated middle and elementary schools). I guess I assumed most counties in Mississippi had the same county vs city setup.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
152 School systems (not just schools) Each with their own Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, Transportation Director, Maintenance Director, Etc and staff, plus kin folks .
Ahh, got you. I thought that was low.
I'm not a consolation fixes everything guy. Larger class sizes doesn't equal better education, just cheaper. But some obvious issues in the large number of systems. When you've got a bunch of 1a and 2a schools in a county, along with a city district, it gets crazy.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Ahh, got you. I thought that was low.
I'm not a consolation fixes everything guy. Larger class sizes doesn't equal better education, just cheaper. But some obvious issues in the large number of systems. When you've got a bunch of 1a and 2a schools in a county, along with a city district, it gets crazy.
You cut those school districts in half( Tippah County-Ripley has 3 districts) that is a lot of $$$ that could go to the actual schools.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Florida Population: 22 million
Florida School Districts: 73

Mississippi Population: 3 million
Mississippi School Districts: 144 (according to google, but the point remains)

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Florida Population: 22 million
Florida School Districts: 73

Mississippi Population: 3 million
Mississippi School Districts: 144 (according to google, but the point remains)
Wild. I just looked up Texas.
30 Million People
1,250 School Districts

The county I live in, Ellis, has about 200,000 people and at least 10 school districts.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Alcorn County has 2, the county school district (made up of 3 high schools and their associated middle and elementary schools) and the city of Corinth School District with 1 high school (and its associated middle and elementary schools). I guess I assumed most counties in Mississippi had the same county vs city setup.
Monroe county has three school districts, two city, Amory and Aberdeen, and one county district. The county district has three different school systems in it K through 12.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Bottom line is that a mad woman is a dangerous thing and this whole thing has created a lot of mad women.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Bottom line is that a mad woman is a dangerous thing and this whole thing has created a lot of mad women.
Of course this will become less and less of a factor in the next decade or so but 50 years ago a lot of the student body at the W was made up of young women from very wealthy and affluent families. Many of these young women went on to marry men who became very successful and wealthy and many of those women have now inherited their own family's money. My point is that while that was along time ago those ladies (and their husbands) are only in their early seventies and have a lot of wealth, influence and pride in their Alma Mater. So these aren't just "mad women" these are mad women with money and power.

Last edited: