RIP Eric Carmen, 74

CvilleElksCoach

Oct 8, 2021
Funny Eric Carman story. My dad was assistant director and head of development engineering at ARL at PSU. He went to a meeting in DC as he frequently did. When he got home he said he was talking to a guy he works with from Cleveland name Elmer Carman and he was claiming his kid was a big rock star. He asked if I had heard of him. I said is his kid named Eric Carman? He said yes that was it. So I went in my room and grabbed a Raspberries and a solo album and brought them out to him. He kind of laughed and said he thought Elmer was BS’ing him. Lol.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
And to add to this, I'm pretty sure one of the Playmates from the late 80s that attended/graduated PSU was in the "Hungry Eyes" video. Pia Reyes was her name I believe. To avoid the flag...

Reactions: rudedude

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Funny Eric Carman story. My dad was assistant director and head of development engineering at ARL at PSU. He went to a meeting in DC as he frequently did. When he got home he said he was talking to a guy he works with from Cleveland name Elmer Carman and he was claiming his kid was a big rock star. He asked if I had heard of him. I said is his kid named Eric Carman? He said yes that was it. So I went in my room and grabbed a Raspberries and a solo album and brought them out to him. He kind of laughed and said he thought Elmer was BS’ing him. Lol.
Back at you. ~ many years ago I got upgraded to first class on a flight from CLE to LAX. This dude sits next to me with a $300 haircut, a bag of gummy bears and a book about the effects of drugs on your brain. Soon Jim Brown walks by us on his way to coach and the dude looks at m and says "imagine that. Jim Brown is in coach and we are in first class!". Just then a woman walks up to him and asks him to autograph her ticket sleeve. While doing that, she says that it was weird watching him board the plane when "all by myself" came on the audio feed. After she leaves I apologized for not knowing who he was and asked him. He said Eric Carmen and shook my hand. Fortunately, I knew all about Eric Carmen and we started talking. He was really one of the nices guys ever.

He shared a couple of stories that I recall. The first was that he was in a record store and saw the guitarist, Slash. He went over to introduce himself and say hello and it turned out Slash was looking at The Raspberries albums. The two freaked out at the coincidence and became friends (slash played at the Oscars performing "I'm Just Ken" from the Barbie movie). The other story was that he was going through a breakup and couldn't sleep so he went to get a drink. He sat down at the piano and wrote "All by Myself" in minutes and went back to bed. He woke up and remembered what he had done but not the details. He made his way to the piano and there is was. He played if for his team and they released it as fast as they could. The downside was that for every song he wrote thereafter, his team would say "That is good and all, Eric, but can you do 'All By Myself' again?" He said he picked up the habit of writing whenever a turn of phrase or a series of notes struck him. He'd leave conversations pull out a notebook and write it down. He picked it up from David Bowie who, I guess, was famous for leaving mid-sentence, pulling out a little note pad from his back pocket, and writing something down. People learned to not get in his way lest, perhaps, ruin what might be the start of the next classic rock song.

We had this awkward guy issue at the end. I felt like we could be friends and wanted to ask for his number but seems awkward. So he introduced me to his wife at baggage claim and I said hello and left. I regret that. I think he was looking for a friend back in CLE and that would have been fun.

Oct 12, 2021
The Rachmaninoff estate sends it condolences. At least, it should.

According to Carmen, he first wrote the solo part of the song, writing four bars at a time, eventually completed the interlude after two months.[7] He needed to put this into a song, and after listening to Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, a piece famously used to underscore the 1945 British film Brief Encounter, he adapted the melody of its second movement to write the verse.[7] Rachmaninoff's music was in the public domain in the United States at that time, so Carmen thought no copyright existed on it, but it was still protected outside the U.S. subsequent to the release of the album. He was later contacted by the Rachmaninoff estate and informed that it was protected.[8] An agreement was reached in which the estate would receive 12 percent of the royalties from "All by Myself" as well as from "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again", which was based on the third movement from Rachmaninoff's Symphony No. 2.[9][10]

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Back at you. ~ many years ago I got upgraded to first class on a flight from CLE to LAX. This dude sits next to me with a $300 haircut, a bag of gummy bears and a book about the effects of drugs on your brain. Soon Jim Brown walks by us on his way to coach and the dude looks at m and says "imagine that. Jim Brown is in coach and we are in first class!". Just then a woman walks up to him and asks him to autograph her ticket sleeve. While doing that, she says that it was weird watching him board the plane when "all by myself" came on the audio feed. After she leaves I apologized for not knowing who he was and asked him. He said Eric Carmen and shook my hand. Fortunately, I knew all about Eric Carmen and we started talking. He was really one of the nices guys ever.

He shared a couple of stories that I recall. The first was that he was in a record store and saw the guitarist, Slash. He went over to introduce himself and say hello and it turned out Slash was looking at The Raspberries albums. The two freaked out at the coincidence and became friends (slash played at the Oscars performing "I'm Just Ken" from the Barbie movie). The other story was that he was going through a breakup and couldn't sleep so he went to get a drink. He sat down at the piano and wrote "All by Myself" in minutes and went back to bed. He woke up and remembered what he had done but not the details. He made his way to the piano and there is was. He played if for his team and they released it as fast as they could. The downside was that for every song he wrote thereafter, his team would say "That is good and all, Eric, but can you do 'All By Myself' again?" He said he picked up the habit of writing whenever a turn of phrase or a series of notes struck him. He'd leave conversations pull out a notebook and write it down. He picked it up from David Bowie who, I guess, was famous for leaving mid-sentence, pulling out a little note pad from his back pocket, and writing something down. People learned to not get in his way lest, perhaps, ruin what might be the start of the next classic rock song.

We had this awkward guy issue at the end. I felt like we could be friends and wanted to ask for his number but seems awkward. So he introduced me to his wife at baggage claim and I said hello and left. I regret that. I think he was looking for a friend back in CLE and that would have been fun.

If that is his wife, he doesn't really need you as a friend. If it's not his wife, then he found the friend all of us would like to have.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021

Good stuff. Why did you have to apologize for not knowing who he was? Did he do the same to you.

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
What is Eric Carmen's net worth? Eric Carmen, who was born in August 1949 in Cleveland, Ohio, was a renowned American singer, songwriter, and musician with a net worth estimated at $10 million, as per Celebrity Net Worth

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
If that is his wife, he doesn't really need you as a friend. If it's not his wife, then he found the friend all of us would like to have.
I remember seeing her on TV in LA and thinking she was one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. I had no idea he married her. I think the woman I met was his second wife. This was his third, and current, wife. Her name is Amy Murphy. They got married in 2016. I need to learn how to play the guitar.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Always sad to hear of the passing of the well-known folks from back in the day.
I was not a big fan of his solo career, but I recall going to see him open and Billy Joel headline at Rec Hall in '76 or '77. I didn't really like the song "All By Myself", but I think my date was a fan of his, so there we go. Anyway, the show opens with Billy Joel introducing the gig with 'Eric Carmen had to cancel, so I have to do this show... All By Myself', playing the opening part of the song. Took away some of the disappointment of many in the crowd, and Bill Joel put on a great show.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
What is Eric Carmen's net worth? Eric Carmen, who was born in August 1949 in Cleveland, Ohio, was a renowned American singer, songwriter, and musician with a net worth estimated at $10 million, as per Celebrity Net Worth
Someone passes away and the first thing you ask is how much was he worth. Then you use CNW as the source. LMFAO.

Latest posts