RIP Norm Snead first Eagles QB I remember....

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, started with the Redskins, traded for Sonny Jurgensen.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, but Snead made four Pro Bowls, I was not aware of that.
my least foundest memory of Norm was Eagles v Bears. The Eagles are winning and will win if they dont mess things up. Butkus comes up in the A gap and starts screaming at Norm Snead and jumping around, finally on the snap Butkas jumps over the center, Norm puts the ball on the ground , Bears recover, drive and win the game. All Norm had to do was take the snap.

• Sad
Reactions: LionJim

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
my least foundest memory of Norm was Eagles v Bears. The Eagles are winning and will win if they dont mess things up. Butkus comes up in the A gap and starts screaming at Norm Snead and jumping around, finally on the snap Butkas jumps over the center, Norm puts the ball on the ground , Bears recover, drive and win the game. All Norm had to do was take the snap.
Joe Pisarcik says “hold my beer!”

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I am sure it was a composite but that always reminder me of the Pottsville Maroons story
Yeah, I can understand your thinking this way.

The Maroons aren’t mentioned here but this is a decent read on a snow day after an ***-beating. Story short: go to Real-Life Basis.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, I can understand your thinking this way.

The Maroons aren’t mentioned here but this is a decent read on a snow day after an ***-beating. Story short: go to Real-Life Basis.

In 1925 the Pottsville Maroons had won the NFL championship only to have it stripped away by the commissioner. The alleged act was playing a game vs the 4 horseman of ND in Philly (which they won) . Philly was ticked and caused a stink, the commis had to do something so they took their title.

Now the real BS My mother had 2 half sisters, all 3 had the same mother. I guess my Grand ma was quite the thing back in the day. After she split from my mothers father she good hooked up with George Streigel JR. His Father was Doc Streigel who owned the Pottsville Maroons in 1925. George jr played for the Maroons. He was also a boxer. My Grand ma moved to Philly with George, thats were my Aunts were raised. You may have had a beer in one of his bars. Word had it, he had several and spent way too much time in them. I wish I had sat down with my mom or my aunts and got all the details, but alas some of this all was hush hush. George's shuffleboard machine is at my brothers house in Schuylkill Co.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
In 1925 the Pottsville Maroons had won the NFL championship only to have it stripped away by the commissioner. The alleged act was playing a game vs the 4 horseman of ND in Philly (which they won) . Philly was ticked and caused a stink, the commis had to do something so they took their title.

Now the real BS My mother had 2 half sisters, all 3 had the same mother. I guess my Grand ma was quite the thing back in the day. After she split from my mothers father she good hooked up with George Streigel JR. His Father was Doc Streigel who owned the Pottsville Maroons in 1925. George jr played for the Maroons. He was also a boxer. My Grand ma moved to Philly with George, thats were my Aunts were raised. You may have had a beer in one of his bars. Word had it, he had several and spent way too much time in them. I wish I had sat down with my mom or my aunts and got all the details, but alas some of this all was hush hush. George's shuffleboard machine is at my brothers house in Schuylkill Co.
“I guess my grandma was quite the thing back in the day.” Respect.

• Love
Reactions: pioneerlion83

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
“I guess my grandma was quite the thing back in the day.” Respect.
thanks but I am not so sure about that. My mother was raised by her grand parents, because her mother couldnt have been bothered. It did work out well for my mother.

pioneerlion83

Oct 6, 2021

Mrs. Pioneer's father played on one of the revival semi-pro versions of the Maroons, back in the late 40's/early 50's. Tough guy, from Minersville. Worked in the mines during the week, and played football for a few bucks on the weekend. Think he played defensive line and fullback. Leather helmets, no faceguards!

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021

My grandfather was the waterboy for the Maroons in '25. Not kidding. So, he told me some of the players wanted beer instead of water so for an extra nickel he'd go down to the bar and say charge the Maroons and they would give him some bottles to take back up to the field!

He met Red Grange who showed up in Pottsville when the Bears were barnstorming across the country.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
My grandfather was the waterboy for the Maroons in '25. Not kidding. So, he told me some of the players wanted beer instead of water so for an extra nickel he'd go down to the bar and say charge the Maroons and they would give him some bottles to take back up to the field!

He met Red Grange who showed up in Pottsville when the Bears were barnstorming across the country.
about 10 yrs ago there was a bar in Pottsville called Maroons. It had a lot of memorabilia from the Maroons in it. I believe there was a team pic from 1925, he was probably on it.

Reactions: pioneerlion83

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
about 10 yrs ago there was a bar in Pottsville called Maroons. It had a lot of memorabilia from the Maroons in it. I believe there was a team pic from 1925, he was probably on it.
If I'm ever back that way, I'll look it up.
My grandfather was quite the character and always on the look out for a buck or two. He claimed he once beat Gary Cooper at poker somewhere in the Pacific during WWII. Disabled vet (Guadalcanal).

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
If I'm ever back that way, I'll look it up.
My grandfather was quite the character and always on the look out for a buck or two. He claimed he once beat Gary Cooper at poker somewhere in the Pacific during WWII. Disabled vet (Guadalcanal).
well unfortunetly I believe it was such a good place , they closed!! I dont know when but the last time I was around they were not open. smh

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
And the Cardinals have been cursed (well, except for '47) ever since