Rules interpretation help please…

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
College football
Pass interference in the end zone.
I’m certain I have seen the ball placed at the 2-yard line.
Other times I have seen a 15-yard penalty assessed.
What am I missing? Is it dependent on where the original LOS was?

TIA

OL

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
College football

TIA

OL

It's a little complicated, and different than the NFL. First off, there are different rules for PI in the endzone, and PI outside the endzone. Let's first look at outside the endzone. If the spot of the foul is less than 15 yards from the LOS, it's an automatic 1st down with the ball placed at the spot of the foul. If the spot of the foul is more than 15 yards from the LOS, then it's a 15-yard penalty with an automatic 1st down.

if the PI is in the endzone, regardless of how far from the LOS, then the ball is placed at the 2 yard line, and an automatic 1st down.

I believe the above is the most current rule.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
It's a little complicated, and different than the NFL. First off, there are different rules for PI in the endzone, and PI outside the endzone. Let's first look at outside the endzone. If the spot of the foul is less than 15 yards from the LOS, it's an automatic 1st down with the ball placed at the spot of the foul. If the spot of the foul is more than 15 yards from the LOS, then it's a 15-yard penalty with an automatic 1st down.

if the PI is in the endzone, regardless of how far from the LOS, then the ball is placed at the 2 yard line, and an automatic 1st down.

However, I swear the Ok/AZ game had a PI in the end zone and it was a 15-yard penalty. My son and I discussed why it was not at the 2 yard line.
The other you explained I understand.
Thanks for the help.

OL

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
However, I swear the Ok/AZ game had a PI in the end zone and it was a 15-yard penalty. My son and I discussed why it was not at the 2 yard line.
The other you explained I understand.
Thanks for the help.

OL
Was it possibly defensive holding and not PI? Not sure if that makes a difference but it might.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
College football

TIA

OL

Tom's explanation of the PI penalty for violations outside of the end zone is correct. For PI in the end zone, as OL wonders, it depends on the original LOS (or "previous spot" in official parlance). If the LOS is outside of the (defense's) 17, the penalty is 15 yards. If between the 17 and 2, the ball is placed on the 2. If inside the 2, it's half the distance.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Tom's explanation of the PI penalty for violations outside of the end zone is correct. For PI in the end zone, as OL wonders, it depends on the original LOS (or "previous spot" in official parlance). If the LOS is outside of the (defense's) 17, the penalty is 15 yards. If between the 17 and 2, the ball is placed on the 2. If inside the 2, it's half the distance.
Thanks, @GrimReaper. That’s what I was looking for. I had all the other, but was not clear on this one.
Much appreciated.

Now, another penalty that I think is brutal.
Punt returner calls fair catch. Easily catches the punt. Saw a “bump” - not even what one would get in a busy supermarket - and penalty is 15 yards.
That’s tough IMO. Catch made, tag punting team for 5.
Now, blow the kid up, yeah, he gets 15.
Rant is over.
Thanks for all the input.

OL

Reactions: s1uggo72

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks, @GrimReaper. That’s what I was looking for. I had all the other, but was not clear on this one.
Much appreciated.

Now, another penalty that I think is brutal.
Punt returner calls fair catch. Easily catches the punt. Saw a “bump” - not even what one would get in a busy supermarket - and penalty is 15 yards.
That’s tough IMO. Catch made, tag punting team for 5.
Now, blow the kid up, yeah, he gets 15.
Rant is over.
Thanks for all the input.

OL
Rule says punting/covering team is not allowed to "block" or "tackle" a player who has signaled for and is making a fair catch. You "bump" would come under "block." Understand where you're coming from, but how much discretion should officials have regarding the violence of contact? That was the trade-off given when the NCAA dropped the two-yard halo rule twenty years ago.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Rule says punting/covering team is not allowed to "block" or "tackle" a player who has signaled for and is making a fair catch. You "bump" would come under "block." Understand where you're coming from, but how much discretion should officials have regarding the violence of contact? That was the trade-off given when the NCAA dropped the two-yard halo rule twenty years ago.
True. Too much gray area on some areas already for officials, no reason to add more.
Thanks, Grim

OL

blion72

Oct 30, 2021

i think you summarized it well. I noticed in one of the bowl games there was an EZ PI so ball on 2, and then a second PI in EZ took place, and it looked like the ball was then at the 1 yd line. maybe that was half the distance interpretation or just 1 yd line. I have never seen that happen before.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
i think you summarized it well. I noticed in one of the bowl games there was an EZ PI so ball on 2, and then a second PI in EZ took place, and it looked like the ball was then at the 1 yd line. maybe that was half the distance interpretation or just 1 yd line. I have never seen that happen before.
I have and I think the closest you can get is the 1. So if there is little time on the clock, and a team does not have any timeouts, and dont want to run the ball, as the clock may run out if they are short, why not PI everytime in the EZ? The clock runs during a play so if there are say 6 secs to go, the O at the 1 no time outs, so they have to throw, why not just tackle the the WR on anything remotely close? Yes you have another play but now with 2 sec to go. So on anyting close why not tackle the guy again? Now time is out, but there is an untimed down, and maybe this time the O does something dumb and the D lets it play out and win the game.

saw it in real time MU vs Little Miami, MU won, Cryami was not happy. Night game at MU circa 2003?

Reactions: RS54

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
I have and I think the closest you can get is the 1. So if there is little time on the clock, and a team does not have any timeouts, and dont want to run the ball, as the clock may run out if they are short, why not PI everytime in the EZ? The clock runs during a play so if there are say 6 secs to go, the O at the 1 no time outs, so they have to throw, why not just tackle the the WR on anything remotely close? Yes you have another play but now with 2 sec to go. So on anyting close why not tackle the guy again? Now time is out, but there is an untimed down, and maybe this time the O does something dumb and the D lets it play out and win the game.

saw it in real time MU vs Little Miami, MU won, Cryami was not happy. Night game at MU circa 2003?
Be careful. You may be entering Brett Beilma territory.
😁

OL

Reactions: s1uggo72

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021

It keeps going half the distance to the goal.