Sean Clifford

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
Much has been said but I have to say that he is as valuable to this team as any player (with the exception of Michael Robinson) has been in my lifetime of watching PSU football. It may very well be that the QB room is bare and that's on coaching but gotta give Clifford the credit he deserves, He was not 100% healthy on Saturday, not even close.

On another note, the Illinois game was the worst performance I had seen since Syracuse 1970.....also at home against a very bad Syracuse team

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
Sean Clifford is a fine person and a tough competitor. Unfortunately, he has limited athletic ability and a low upside potential. He will go down in PSU history along with Chuck Burkhart and John Shaffer. He is that type of QB. He will make a fine coach.

LookSharp

Oct 25, 2021
Good point but who's not giving him credit. The kid is a warrior. I'm old enough to remember 1970 Sorryexcuse but I don't. ;) But IMO Illinois is on par with 2000 Toledo. We can only hope it's not a preface to Dark Years V2.0.

Oct 27, 2021
Sean is a great kid. Has a heart that pumps PSU blood. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the athleticism that this program needs. In fact, I would suggest that Sean has regressed over the past few years. Couple different OC's, pandemic year, ups and downs. I just hope Yurcich is working with the next QB in line. I think Yurcich needs the QB to be more on what his vision is.

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
Im surprised at the thoughts expressed here regarding Clifford. If you can omit the injury and the fact that we have a dreadful running game, you would see a QB that is probably asked to do as much or more than any other QB in the country. He led our team in rush attempts last year. I thought he was playing his best ball, really good football, the first 4.5 games of the season. Our line has regressed, he is injured, and our running game continues to provide 0 help. Considering all things, I think Clifford has been really good and I for one would love to see what he could do behind a revamped O-line and another year in MY's system. His accuracy has improved, decision making has been better, he has extended plays while simultaneously dealing with a regressing run game and line.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Sean Clifford is a fine person and a tough competitor. Unfortunately, he has limited athletic ability and a low upside potential. He will go down in PSU history along with Chuck Burkhart and John Shaffer. He is that type of QB. He will make a fine coach.
John Shaffer start led in two National Championship games - winning one.

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021
2000 Toledo would be better than most teams on our current schedule except for Auburn, OSU, MSU and Michigan.

Reactions: Bob78

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
John Shaffer start led in two National Championship games - winning one.
Very true. Shaffer was a good leader but, like Clifford, was limited athletically. If you transplant Clifford to the teams Shaffer led, I would expect the same outcome.

Ironlions23

Nov 1, 2021
I think if Sean doesn’t have much PRO chance he would be doing his team and school a great service by sticking around another year, keep making that NIL $$ and taking young Allar and Pribula under his wing.

Reactions: PSUwolf
Oct 27, 2021
I think if Sean doesn’t have much PRO chance he would be doing his team and school a great service by sticking around another year, keep making that NIL $$ and taking young Allar and Pribula under his wing.
There is no benefit in Clifford sticking around. I'd rather us get a young player in the position and help that player grow. I just don't think Clifford is it.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
There is no benefit in Clifford sticking around. I'd rather us get a young player in the position and help that player grow. I just don't think Clifford is it.
I don't know. If you don't think anyone currently in your QB is starter potential you would want him to stay. Give the two guys coming in next year a year to acclimate and then have a RS Fr start.

Not the worst plan.

Reactions: WDLion and bbrown

PSUwolf

Oct 29, 2021
I kind of hope Clifford sticks around. With us bringing in 2 really good FR QBs next year, they could learn under him. Just makes me nervous to see a true frosh thrown into the fire right off the bat

Reactions: bbrown

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
I don’t what you all are watching but compare psu with and without SC. As he goes so the team goes. Good/great with bad without.

Reactions: PSUwolf and Hotshoe

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
I think a healthy Sean Clifford is a dam good QB and he should definitely stay. Improve the O-Line, Coach up a slot receiver and a deep threat. Finally, give him a RB that can run in between the tackles. That’s what Trace had for at least 2 years.

Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
The benefit would be him supplying a very experienced QB.

Reactions: PSUwolf

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
It would be great for Sean to have a strong running game to keep defenses honest. It's tough to be super when you're the focal point of a one-sided offense. And for sure the injury played a role in Illinois and probably OSU in-game struggles.

Hotshoe

Oct 6, 2021
Im surprised at the thoughts expressed here regarding Clifford. If you can omit the injury and the fact that we have a dreadful running game, you would see a QB that is probably asked to do as much or more than any other QB in the country. He led our team in rush attempts last year. I thought he was playing his best ball, really good football, the first 4.5 games of the season. Our line has regressed, he is injured, and our running game continues to provide 0 help. Considering all things, I think Clifford has been really good and I for one would love to see what he could do behind a revamped O-line and another year in MY's system. His accuracy has improved, decision making has been better, he has extended plays while simultaneously dealing with a regressing run game and line.
Yeah, no athleticism? Who are folks watching? John Shaffer comparisons? Sean is going to go down as our best percentage passer in Penn State history. Sean will end up at 60%, maybe a bit better. Overall, he'll end up 2nd behind Trace. John Shaffer completed 47% of his passes. Yeah, he won a Natty, but he had little to do with it. He went in not even going to start the year he won his Championship, because he was that bad. 18tds, 25ints for a career. Sean, is 54 and 22.

Texas Lion

Oct 29, 2021
Here are my %'s of who will be the starting QB on September 3, 2022 in West Lafayette, IN:

Sean Clifford: 50%
Miles Brennan: 18%
Spencer Rattler: 15%
Drew Allar: 10%
Other: 7%

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Fwiw, just a couple of points regarding past opponents mentioned in this thread as bad losses for PSU:

1970 Syracuse: 6-4-0
2000 Toledo: 10-1 MAC Champs

My comparison to losing to this 2021 version of Illinois is losing (by 14-3) to the 1983 version of Cincinnati. They went 4-6-1, with their other three wins vs. Cornell, Temple, and Rutgers.

PSUwolf

Oct 29, 2021
Here are my %'s of who will be the starting QB on September 3, 2022 in West Lafayette, IN:

Sean Clifford: 50%
Miles Brennan: 18%
Spencer Rattler: 15%
Drew Allar: 10%
Other: 7%
I'll give that 7% to B. Pribula. I realize that most Lion fans are assuming Allar is our next star QB down the road, but to forget about Pribula is a mistake. Super success in high school does not guarantee success in CF and who knows what kid(s) are going to adapt better ?

Texas Lion

Oct 29, 2021
I'll give that 7% to B. Pribula. I realize that most Lion fans are assuming Allar is our next star QB down the road, but to forget about Pribula is a mistake. Super success in high school does not guarantee success in CF and who knows what kid(s) are going to adapt better ?
I'll give Pribula 4% and move other to 3%.

IANit

Oct 6, 2021
I think his athleticism is better than you're giving credit for. He runs something like 4.5 supposedly. But he's had shaky OLs most of the time and has been injured a fair bit, and I think the lack of consistency at the OC position hasn't helped. I think he's closer to McSorley than Shaffer.

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
I think his athleticism is better than you're giving credit for. He runs something like 4.5 supposedly. But he's had shaky OLs most of the time and has been injured a fair bit, and I think the lack of consistency at the OC position hasn't helped. I think he's closer to McSorley than Shaffer.
You could be right. I hope he plays very well in the next 4 or 5 games.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
We need better blocking schemes for the run game. This OL is not just going to push defenders out the way with straight up zone blocking big on big. I am tired of the OL standing around watch the RB getting tackled in the backfield. I hope Sean Clifford stays one more year. I think the injury changed the season. With no injury we beat Iowa by 2-3 TDs, crush Illinois, and beta OSU. Get him a better running game and we are in the playoffs battling for a Nat Champ. Our defense is championship caliber, offense needs to get there.