Serious Question/Poll- Should PSU operate professional teams?

Deemphasize sports and go back to amateur athletics

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Call it what it is, D1 sports are now a professional enterprise, call PSU football minor league for NFL.

I have lost interest in the game on these terms. I believe the University should not be operating a professional sports program. I want a return to amateurism/club sports/whatever the college game was in the era of Rockne, Red Grange, Jim Thorpe. Don’t spend hundreds of millions on facilities, use the Beave for concerts and events, and focus on our educational mission.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Call it what it is, D1 sports are now a professional enterprise, call PSU football minor league for NFL.

I have lost interest in the game on these terms. I believe the University should not be operating a professional sports program. I want a return to amateurism/club sports/whatever the college game was in the era of Rockne, Red Grange, Jim Thorpe. Don’t spend hundreds of millions on facilities, use the Beave for concerts and events, and focus on our educational mission.
One thing I've been thinking about . . . it was considered very distasteful to "boo" college athletes. Does that change now when an athlete isn't performing up to their NIL monies?

Reactions: MacNit and PSU1969A

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
One thing I've been thinking about . . . it was considered very distasteful to "boo" college athletes. Does that change now when an athlete isn't performing up to their NIL monies?
They get paid. Their decision. So yes, they don’t deserve protection any more than a plumber who can’t fix a faucet.

Reactions: Nitt1300

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
They get paid. Their decision. So yes, they don’t deserve protection any more than a plumber who can’t fix a faucet.

If they're professional someone better tell PSU. They're still focusing on facilities and coaches.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
If they're professional someone better tell PSU. They're still focusing on facilities and coaches.
Google definition of “professional” - engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021

I have lost interest in the game on these terms. I believe the University should not be operating a professional sports program. I want a return to amateurism/club sports/whatever the college game was in the era of Rockne, Red Grange, Jim Thorpe. Don’t spend hundreds of millions on facilities, use the Beave for concerts and events, and focus on our educational mission
You have a better shot at hooking up with one of @Midnighter,s hot chicks than that happening.

Things change - whether better or worse is dependent on your viewpoint. No one is forcing you to watch or even pay attention to it.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
You have a better shot at hooking up with one of @Midnighter,s hot chicks than that happening.

Things change - whether better or worse is dependent on your viewpoint. No one is forcing you to watch or even pay attention to it.
And no one is forcing you to read this. GFY

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021

So this obviously means no more major programs in any sports (so say goodbye to Wrestling, Women’s Volleyball, etc), losing a crap ton of $ while contracts run out, being left with facilities that need to be torn down, and killing a big chunk of the State College economy that depends on 110k football crowds and not 5k fans.

All of this because you’re longing for how things used to be?

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
So this obviously means no more major programs in any sports (so say goodbye to Wrestling, Women’s Volleyball, etc), losing a crap ton of $ while contracts run out, being left with facilities that need to be torn down, and killing a big chunk of the State College economy that depends on 110k football crowds and not 5k fans.

If they want to be paid, go somewhere else. As for StatecCollege, Penn State is an educational institution and not a charity. Why spend more hundreds of millions for sports? It would be cheaper to fly over town with a Cessna and toss bags of money out of the door.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
If they want to be paid, go somewhere else. As for StatecCollege, Penn State is an educational institution and not a charity. Why spend more hundreds of millions for sports? It would be cheaper to fly over town with a Cessna and toss bags of money out of the door.
The hundreds of millions spent on sports are also bringing in hundreds of millions to mostly offset the spending (while also gaining “free” publicity, enhancing alumni engagement, enhancing the school spirit/atmosphere for current students, etc, etc, etc).

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I'm all for dialing college sports back to true 'intercollegiate athletics' with 'student athletes', but that means reasonable coaching salaries too. As long as coaches are making eight figure contracts, players deserve to get a piece of the pie. But, since there is no alternative, I'm fine with how things are - just way less interested.

Also, your poll question is different from your thread title question, so I voted before reading the poll question and had to change.

CF Lion

Oct 6, 2021
You want to go back a hundred years and play Lehigh, Bucknell and Lafayette again?

Reactions: BobPSU92

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
The hundreds of millions spent on sports are also bringing in hundreds of millions to mostly offset the spending (while also gaining “free” publicity, enhancing alumni engagement, enhancing the school spirit/atmosphere for current students, etc, etc, etc).
the two of you in this argument counter reply have essentially condensed the issue. As you point out, the sports program funds a total package of activities and if there is an overall deficit, then your point is that is really like a marketing/development cost for Penn State and the region. Women's sports never get to where they are without this funding. This first part of the debate is independent of whether players are paid. I see the original point - the university is for education and does not have a mission to fund sports, which is where many faculty are in this debate. De facto, it appears that most universities have decided that the sports programs are worth some investment (i.e. if they lose $$$ it is a worthy spend).

The second part is if you have the sports programs, now should they be PRO and pay everyone. Essentially, the players could be paid entertainers and not even students. Then the university is funding professional entertainment. Under this model, I think each individual sport stands on its own financially. Many sports would not survive under that model. There could be club sports for the students, but this would not likely have entertainment value to pay players. At Penn State, FB survives and MAYBE MBB, but hard to see anything else. under that model I would assume the PSU FB team would have a full pro based operation independent of PSU, and we would just pay them $$$ - they would license back branding any facility use. The relationship to the university and community might become different. I do not know if I would watch or attend a game or not. It would feel quite different. Given all you have is club sports left, then other costs for PSU would certainly decline - i.e. compliance.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021

What does anyone “owe” the State College economy? Those gouging MFers don’t give one crap about “The Fans.” They’re the least of it, for me.

cac@PSU

Oct 15, 2021
Only a small percentage of college athletes earn a living playing professional sports. College athletes have been given benefits since the beginnings of college level sports with offers of scholarship monies. NIL is just the next level of benefits to college sports which are now taxable. The NIL money does not guarantee a championship.

Reactions: step.eng69

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
I'm all for dialing college sports back to true 'intercollegiate athletics' with 'student athletes', but that means reasonable coaching salaries too. As long as coaches are making eight figure contracts, players deserve to get a piece of the pie. But, since there is no alternative, I'm fine with how things are - just way less interested.

Also, your poll question is different from your thread title question, so I voted before reading the poll question and had to change.
Just discovered I did the same thing, but too late to change my vote. Should have been a yes.

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think there will ever be a time when I don't watch Penn State football. It's less about all the circumstance surrounding the NIL / NCAA and more about my love for the actual game of football (though the game itself is changing too).

When NIL was announced and began to be implemented, I was staunchly opposed. But, the more it goes on, I have softened my stance. Don't necessarily like it, but it's what we now have to deal with. I still want to enjoy the game of college football, specifically at Penn State. If that means paying players, so be it.

I'll never contribute my own hard earned money to an NIL fund per say, because it doesn't mean that much to me. I'd rather give my money to my own kids.

I still think this structure will eventually ruin programs across the country, Penn State included, because they just won't be able to keep up with the Joneses. Population bases, demographics, different economies/industries, all come into play. Pennsylvania certainly isn't the gold standard for college football hotbeds (anymore).

OP's opinion may become reality in the next few decades, not by choice, but by necessity.

Reactions: Midnighter

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
the two of you in this argument counter reply have essentially condensed the issue. As you point out, the sports program funds a total package of activities and if there is an overall deficit, then your point is that is really like a marketing/development cost for Penn State and the region. Women's sports never get to where they are without this funding. This first part of the debate is independent of whether players are paid. I see the original point - the university is for education and does not have a mission to fund sports, which is where many faculty are in this debate. De facto, it appears that most universities have decided that the sports programs are worth some investment (i.e. if they lose $$$ it is a worthy spend).

The second part is if you have the sports programs, now should they be PRO and pay everyone. Essentially, the players could be paid entertainers and not even students. Then the university is funding professional entertainment. Under this model, I think each individual sport stands on its own financially. Many sports would not survive under that model. There could be club sports for the students, but this would not likely have entertainment value to pay players. At Penn State, FB survives and MAYBE MBB, but hard to see anything else. under that model I would assume the PSU FB team would have a full pro based operation independent of PSU, and we would just pay them $$$ - they would license back branding any facility use. The relationship to the university and community might become different. I do not know if I would watch or attend a game or not. It would feel quite different. Given all you have is club sports left, then other costs for PSU would certainly decline - i.e. compliance.
Hockey to survive?

Latest posts