SIAP... Didn't see it anywhere... In case people don't follow Anthony Lubrano on FB was nice to see this post from him and Sue Paterno....

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
On Saturday two very important moments occurred. Sue Paterno was welcomed by President Bendapudi to the President’s Suite in Beaver Stadium—the first time in more than 11 years since that last happened. In addition, the pre-game video included video and audio of Joe Paterno, the second time this season that we saw and heard Joe in Beaver Stadium.
Thank you Dr Neeli Bendapudi and Dr Pat Kraft for your leadership.

Has a nice pic of SuePa up on FB in the Presidents suite. Hopefully important first step to start healing...SuePa.jpg

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
@Lubrano what was the overall feeling with Sue there? Any tension or as Sue does put everyone at ease.

CvilleElksCoach

Oct 8, 2021
Neeli mentioned Joe at the 82 team reunion at Medlar Field Saturday morning before the game when she was congratulating the team for the Championship. Pat also gave the team nice jackets with 1982 National Champions on the sleeve and tee shirts that had Joe's image on them. I know some on here think they know more than everyone else and could run the university better than anyone. But you really need to give this new leadership team a chance. They are trying to improve things. It will take time, but they are trying to turn this huge battleship. It was pretty screwed up. Particularly, athletics.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Neeli mentioned Joe at the 82 team reunion at Medlar Field Saturday morning before the game when she was congratulating the team for the Championship. Pat also gave the team nice jackets with 1982 National Champions on the sleeve and tee shirts that had Joe's image on them. I know some on here think they know more than everyone else and could run the university better than anyone. But you really need to give this new leadership team a chance. They are trying to improve things. It will take time, but they are trying to turn this huge battleship. It was pretty screwed up. Particularly, athletics.

Yup... I know a couple of football alumni and to say the previous administration did not make the former players feel welcome is a huge understatement. There was a lot of bad blood and tension there for a lot of years and amazing how things are changing now that they are gone. I give this new administration a big thumbs up for what they have done regarding Joe and the football team alumni so far.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I think having Sue in Neeli’s suite during the game was a great gesture. Ditto for Neeli and Kraft recognizing Joe during the ‘82 team reunion. Having Joe in stadium video montages is not new. PSU has been doing this for several years.

What we see Neeli and Kraft doing are positive developments, but they are internal and not highly publicized. The same, of course, is true for the stadium video montages. The question now is, when does PSU go back to acknowledging Joe publicly? When do they make his place at our university permanent and visible?

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Just goes to show how bad Sandy was. And yet people here ridicule those of us who knew how bad she was by saying the only reason we didn’t like her was because of her gender or sexual preference.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
On Saturday two very important moments occurred. Sue Paterno was welcomed by President Bendapudi to the President’s Suite in Beaver Stadium—the first time in more than 11 years since that last happened. In addition, the pre-game video included video and audio of Joe Paterno, the second time this season that we saw and heard Joe in Beaver Stadium.

Has a nice pic of SuePa up on FB in the Presidents suite. Hopefully important first step to start healing...View attachment 238530
Thank Christ.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
I think having Sue in Neeli’s suite during the game was a great gesture. Ditto for Neeli and Kraft recognizing Joe during the ‘82 team reunion. Having Joe in stadium video montages is not new. PSU has been doing this for several years.

What we see Neeli and Kraft doing are positive developments, but they are internal and not highly publicized. The same, of course, is true for the stadium video montages. The question now is, when does PSU go back to acknowledging Joe publicly? When do they make his place at our university permanent and visible?
A lot more coverage of Joe this year 5x or more than past.

Reactions: Bison13

Hugh Laurie

Oct 6, 2021
Let's get Joe's statue back in its rightful place but make it a different version of the old one. I hated the old one. It looked like Joe was hailing a cab.

Also, we should have a statue of our only Heisman trophy winner somewhere outside the stadium. I was at Auburn and they have very impressive statues of their 3 Heisman winners strategically located outside Jordan-Hare.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
A pure box check incompetent. Good riddance to her and Onion Dip.

It is really coming out how much tension and dislike there was between Sandy/Barron and the football program especially the alumni. Now it's very clear nothing was going to be done about restoring Joe's image at PSU while those 2 were in charge, they were a very large part of the road block. Thankfully the new administration seem's open about building some bridges back. The 2 football team alumni I know still have season tickets and made no bones about their dislike for Sandy/Barron. Sandy especially didn't hide her dislike for the program and it's alumni.

Oct 12, 2021
It is really coming out how much tension and dislike there was between Sandy/Barron and the football program especially the alumni. Now it's very clear nothing was going to be done about restoring Joe's image at PSU while those 2 were in charge, they were a very large part of the road block. Thankfully the new administration seem's open about building some bridges back. The 2 football team alumni I know still have season tickets and made no bones about their dislike for Sandy/Barron. Sandy especially didn't hide her dislike for the program and it's alumni.
It's no wonder she couldn't raise much money.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Also, we should have a statue of our only Heisman trophy winner somewhere outside the stadium. I was at Auburn and they have very impressive statues of their 3 Heisman winners strategically located outside Jordan-Hare.

I respectfully disagree about a Cappelletti statue. It isn’t the Penn State Way to honor a player in such a way. No names. It still bothers me that #22 is retired.

The player plaques alongside the JoePa statue were a nice tribute. Bring them back. I also feel that great players should he honored in the All-Sports Hall of Fame, but not with a statue.

A statue for Joe is different given what he meant to the university as a whole. That said, I doubt that we will see it again even if Neeli offers it back. It seems that Joe and Sue never liked it. So, no statues at Penn State.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

So Sandy didn’t got this? What?!

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Don't kid yourself she wasn't here to raise money. Neither was the robber Barron. They both could have buried the football program but then Barkley showed up. Both she and Barron did exactly what they were hired and instructed to do by the BOT. Neither ever had a history of leadership or fundraising for that matter. They were who they always were and are puppets. However there is such a need for money right now that B&K are here to stimulate contributions of any sort. Lets see what they can do.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
I have stated this on here many times, but since the subject has come up again (and I hope that someone from PSU ICA reads this as they used to in the past) -

Forget the statue outside. I'm ok with putting a new one inside the all-sports museum once that is moved/expanded. But a statue isn't a high priority for me when it comes to honoring the man. If we want outside statues or physical representations of greatness, let's do something to honor teams/seasons, or a run of seasons (eg '68-'69, '71 thru '73, '77-'78, '80 thru '82, '85-'86, '94, '05, '08).

Imo, a better idea is to have a small group of wealthy alumni/Lettermen buy a facility downtown and create a JVP museum that is independent from the University. Obviously the family would have to have a huge say in all that. Proceeds could go to the Paterno Fellowship and to PA Special Olympics.

Forget retiring numbers. We know that Fester did that to stick it to Joe and his legacy for no good reason other than pettiness. Not sure even Capp really wanted it to happen. Create a Ring of Honor in the stadium, have interactive video screens that play highlights of the players and teams, show what they player did post-PSU either in the pros but more importantly in life. Make the numbers associated with the all-timers hold special meaning with the current team, and award those numbers to players who have earned it in the eyes of their coaches and teammates. e.g. #11 and #31 going to the top LBers, #12 and #14 to top QBs, Cappy's #22 to a top RB, etc.

I have heard that Neeli and Kraft are good with embracing honoring JVP and the football history and legacy, as well as all sports. They are open to learning what the facts are beyond the headlines and sound bites from 10-11 years ago. I assume they have to pick their spots, do some things on the low-key like they did at Medlar Field last Saturday a.m., and make strides rather than a giant leap. I'm ok with that approach. They can't win by retrying the entire case, but they can state with confidence and courage that they know that JVP got a raw deal for nothing he did wrong, and now we're going to let it be known that we honor the wonderful contributions he and Sue and his staffs and teams did for Penn State both on and off the field.

I'm encouraged that Pat and Neeli have, to this early point, shown some courage of leadership in these and other areas of athletics. I want us to be successful in all sports. I want us to hang on to as much ethical sanity as possible in that endeavor. Times have changed and will continue to evolve. I want us to embrace that, help to lead that, and win while doing it - just not "at all costs". Success With Honor can still be our thing, even in the age of NIL and open door xfers. I believe we fans should demand it, and hold admin and coaching leadership accountable to accomplish it.

(Also, show scores from other 1A games on the ribbon boards during any lulls in the action! And upgrade the WiFi!!!)

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
Imo, a better idea is to have a small group of wealthy alumni/Lettermen buy a facility downtown and create a JVP museum that is independent from the University. Obviously the family would have to have a huge say in all that. Proceeds could go to the Paterno Fellowship and to PA Special Olympics.
GREAT ideas. My only added suggestion would be that (IMHO) it‘s critical that the university to be a visible stakeholder in this museum.

OptionBob

Oct 12, 2021
I have stated this on here many times, but since the subject has come up again (and I hope that someone from PSU ICA reads this as they used to in the past) -

Forget the statue outside. I'm ok with putting a new one inside the all-sports museum once that is moved/expanded. But a statue isn't a high priority for me when it comes to honoring the man. If we want outside statues or physical representations of greatness, let's do something to honor teams/seasons, or a run of seasons (eg '68-'69, '71 thru '73, '77-'78, '80 thru '82, '85-'86, '94, '05, '08).

Forget retiring numbers. We know that Fester did that to stick it to Joe and his legacy for no good reason other than pettiness. Not sure even Capp really wanted it to happen. Create a Ring of Honor in the stadium, have interactive video screens that play highlights of the players and teams, show what they player did post-PSU either in the pros but more importantly in life. Make the numbers associated with the all-timers hold special meaning with the current team, and award those numbers to players who have earned it in the eyes of their coaches and teammates. e.g. #11 and #31 going to the top LBers, #12 and #14 to top QBs, Cappy's #22 to a top RB, etc.

I have heard that Neeli and Kraft are good with embracing honoring JVP and the football history and legacy, as well as all sports. They are open to learning what the facts are beyond the headlines and sound bites from 10-11 years ago. I assume they have to pick their spots, do some things on the low-key like they did at Medlar Field last Saturday a.m., and make strides rather than a giant leap. I'm ok with that approach. They can't win by retrying the entire case, but they can state with confidence and courage that they know that JVP got a raw deal for nothing he did wrong, and now we're going to let it be known that we honor the wonderful contributions he and Sue and his staffs and teams did for Penn State both on and off the field.

I'm encouraged that Pat and Neeli have, to this early point, shown some courage of leadership in these and other areas of athletics. I want us to be successful in all sports. I want us to hang on to as much ethical sanity as possible in that endeavor. Times have changed and will continue to evolve. I want us to embrace that, help to lead that, and win while doing it - just not "at all costs". Success With Honor can still be our thing, even in the age of NIL and open door xfers. I believe we fans should demand it, and hold admin and coaching leadership accountable to accomplish it.

(Also, show scores from other 1A games on the ribbon boards during any lulls in the action! And upgrade the WiFi!!!)
Great post! I like your ideas about honoring Joe without a statue and about not retiring #'s but awarding them as motivation to be the best at a storied position.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
I had poor interactions with Sandy and Barron that just showed how feckless they were and how little they really didn’t want to deal with people.

So glad they are gone. Sad, that Barron is on retainer so to speak for a year and that both he and Sandy got very very sweet retirement packages from Penn State. Neither should ever get another f n dime.

Reactions: MacNit and Bison13

CvilleElksCoach

Oct 8, 2021
Interestingly, I ran into Sandy at the reunion. I was surprised to see her there. I turned the corner and heard her say my name and hi. I think I had a shocked look on my face.

Reactions: Bison13 and Bob78

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Great to hear,
But, Cville, how will progress be made in recognizing Joe as one of our outstanding representatives of The Pennsylvania State University without the approval of the controlling core of the OLD BOT?

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Great to hear,
But, Cville, how will progress be made in recognizing Joe as one of our outstanding representatives of The Pennsylvania State University without the approval of the controlling core of the OLD BOT?
I have heard, although I cannot confirm otherwise, that there has been some movement there. Dan Dellagatti, an former player and JVP supporter, is now on the BOT as a B&I rep. He supports it. The Alumni BOT fully support it. I think there are some others who are listening, and maybe some others from Ag or B&I who are not as locked in with the OGBOT as in the past. It's still an effort and a half, but a few steps in the right direction have been made. The smaller steps are being well-received, and there has not been any public backlash. Even the recent 30 For 30 about revisiting JVP was somewhat neutral in tone.

Again, this is from what I have heard from someone who is pretty tuned in. It is all TBD.

Paruffus

Oct 13, 2021

Has a nice pic of SuePa up on FB in the Presidents suite. Hopefully important first step to start healing...View attachment 238530
Fantabulous! A terrific gesture, long overdue. Many Congrats to our two new administrators!

Reactions: MacNit and Bwifan

Paruffus

Oct 13, 2021
Yup... I know a couple of football alumni and to say the previous administration did not make the former players feel welcome is a huge understatement. There was a lot of bad blood and tension there for a lot of years and amazing how things are changing now that they are gone. I give this new administration a big thumbs up for what they have done regarding Joe and the football team alumni so far.
With a program as successful as ours has been for so many decades it makes one wonder what the former leadership had stuck in their craws.

Reactions: Bwifan

Paruffus

Oct 13, 2021
Just goes to show how bad Sandy was. And yet people here ridicule those of us who knew how bad she was by saying the only reason we didn’t like her was because of her gender or sexual preference.
It takes mega guts to openly 'go against the grain'. Perhaps Sandy lacked same.