SIAP Swimming coach Tim Murphy's contract not renewed

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Was on unspecified level of absence.

Good luck finding a replacement now that Ms. Excellence's vision for the world's most expensive Seement Swimmin' Hole will not come to fruition/

Murphy....gone!

No, no. This is an opportunity to hire a preeminent swimming coach, at great cost, who will justify the investment in the Sandy Barbour Grand Cathedral of Aquatics.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Hmmm, the way I see is they have been bringing in coaches to make the programs successful. I use Softball as an example. Women's bball is on the upswing. Maybe they can bring in a swim coach that can get the swim program up out of the depths of the bottom on the Big 10.

Granted the facility is outdated(I have been to Ohio State's facility and other schools) so may be hard to get top recruits and yeah I know swimming doesn't bring in the money but.. the facility used to hold major swimming events like YMCA states which does bring in money over the course of a long weekend. Also, the PIAA Districts, if the facility could be upgraded with a long course pool inside it could host things like PIAA States(currently held at Bucknell who's facility also puts the McCoy Nat to shame). Could also host other league championships including BIG 10 which would bring in money. Could host D2 and D3 Championships. There are also local clubs that used to hold several events at the indoor and outdoor pools that would pay to rent the facilities. Someone somewhere along the line turned into a deckhead and stopped the events. I think they have returned recently so that person may be gone. Swimming is a popular sport and people spend $$$$ on it along with the folks that come along to watch their kids swim. Some swim moms are worse then soccer moms!!!

Reactions: Ironman2

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
No, no. This is an opportunity to hire a preeminent swimming coach, at great cost, who will justify the investment in the Sandy Barbour Grand Cathedral of Aquatics.
We need to hire Ramon as the pool boy… money is not an issue!

Reactions: OuiRPSU

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Hmmm, the way I see is they have been bringing in coaches to make the programs successful. I use Softball as an example. Women's bball is on the upswing. Maybe they can bring in a swim coach that can get the swim program up out of the depths of the bottom on the Big 10.

Granted the facility is outdated(I have been to Ohio State's facility and other schools) so may be hard to get top recruits and yeah I know swimming doesn't bring in the money but.. the facility used to hold major swimming events like YMCA states which does bring in money over the course of a long weekend. Also, the PIAA Districts, if the facility could be upgraded with a long course pool inside it could host things like PIAA States(currently held at Bucknell who's facility also puts the McCoy Nat to shame). Could also host other league championships including BIG 10 which would bring in money. Could host D2 and D3 Championships. There are also local clubs that used to hold several events at the indoor and outdoor pools that would pay to rent the facilities. Someone somewhere along the line turned into a deckhead and stopped the events. I think they have returned recently so that person may be gone. Swimming is a popular sport and people spend $$$$ on it along with the folks that come along to watch their kids swim. Some swim moms are worse then soccer moms!!!
Estimates of the cost for the facility for which Ms. Excellence had Populous do conceptual drawing were about $80mm. While it would allow PSU to host a Big Ten Championship (on a rotating basis) there otherwise wouldn't be sufficient demand to justify the cost.

Kraft could go back to the drawing board for a more modest facility that would achieve the same demand, but I think he's busy with other things now.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Time will tell. As most know, PSU's on field success (throughout ICA) took a nosedive under the Barbour regime. Big Time.

Thus far, no rebound to speak of - but its early. Wrestling has continued to be the one blue-ribbon constant. But even the former "regular high level" squads have not rebounded.
2022-23 academic year was a crapper, overall. 1 Big Ten champ (Wrestling), and 2 co-champs (IIRC Men's Lacross and Field Hockey). Thats it.

Softball is definitely having a much stronger year than usual - so that is nice to see. But the overall placement throughout the Big Ten continues to wallow. Time will tell, and I would expect that a 4-5 year time frame would be required to put any weight into whether there is likely to be a rebound, or not. But the sooner the better.

Reactions: Bison13

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Estimates of the cost for the facility for which Ms. Excellence had Populous do conceptual drawing were about $80mm. While it would allow PSU to host a Big Ten Championship (on a rotating basis) there otherwise wouldn't be sufficient demand to justify the cost.

Kraft could go back to the drawing board for a more modest facility that would achieve the same demand, but I think he's busy with other things now.
Fiscal restraint within ICA has, if anything, become looser over the last couple years. That is rather hard to believe, but the numbers are the numbers.
We will see if that improves.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Fiscal restraint within ICA has, if anything, become looser over the last couple years. That is rather hard to believe, but the numbers are the numbers.
We will see if that improves.
Yes, but how much more debt can PSU take on before it begins to cramp Neeli's style?

Last edited:

Dubber

Sep 29, 2021

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Hopefully the new coach will have a plan to deal with significant shrinkage with male swimmers. Especially after a Friday practice!!