Some Observation points from Yesterday's game

PSUMichFan

Oct 28, 2021
  • Loved the throwback to Clifford trick play. I am not an X and O guy but I know that is a basic trick play probably inspired by the Ohio University Game

• I did not know we had such a poor 3rd down conversion stat. That stat is probably misleading since we tend to score quickly on big plays

• Auburn had a lot of offensive yardage yesterday (> 400) and a lot big 3rd down and long conversions. As mentioned I am not an X and O guy so were most of those long 3rd down conversions where we played a soft zone prevent defense? I tell you nothing gets the BP going when those plays happen.

• Jake Pinegar had a good kicking day. He has decent leg strength and games like this help with his confidence. I can see games down the road coming down to his ability to make that winning field goal.

• Defense had a good game despite my point #3 above. It was a pleasure to see our defensive line get penetration and have their QB run for his life. Several Sacs, Tackles for loss were up, a couple of interceptions and holding Tank B in check were all positives. Good to see Isaac back, Carter is a beast, Mustipher still working his way back.

• Like the fact that we may have a running game now. Offense had a well balance game from a passing and running point of view. Oline did a nice job protecting Clifford and opening up some holes. No interceptions or sacks (?) – have to love that

• Even though we were winning big the refs should have called that offensive holding on Auburn late in the 4th. It was not even close since our guy was basically wrestled to the ground. I thought the tackle on Auburn moved early a few times but was never called for false start.

• Hated that 4th and 1 call early in the first quarter where Clifford was stopped. I am not a fan of that play since it reminds of the bowl game last year where we got stop on a very similar situation in the first quarter. It’s a risky play that I think you run later in the game once you get a better feel for the defense.

• This team is fun to watch. They have confidence and are gaining experience.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Even though we were winning big the refs should have called that offensive holding on Auburn late in the 4th. It was not even close since our guy was basically wrestled to the ground.
Agree. I think that we have some refs on this board; do calls routinely get made "situationally", i.e., depending on the game being played, or are calls made in a vacuum independent of game situation? I would think the latter based on player safety but I don't know.

Reactions: NB4PSU

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Agree. I think that we have some refs on this board; do calls routinely get made "situationally", i.e., depending on the game being played, or are calls made in a vacuum independent of game situation? I would think the latter based on player safety but I don't know.
I agree also. I believe DDS got up and threw his hands in the air and the ref pointed toward the scoreboard. It's either a penalty or not. It's not up to the ref based on the score or how much time is left in the game (IMHO). Same in basketball . . . a foul is a foul no matter the score or time.

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
  • Loved the throwback to Clifford trick play. I am not an X and O guy but I know that is a basic trick play probably inspired by the Ohio University Game

• I did not know we had such a poor 3rd down conversion stat. That stat is probably misleading since we tend to score quickly on big plays

• Auburn had a lot of offensive yardage yesterday (> 400) and a lot big 3rd down and long conversions. As mentioned I am not an X and O guy so were most of those long 3rd down conversions where we played a soft zone prevent defense? I tell you nothing gets the BP going when those plays happen.

• Jake Pinegar had a good kicking day. He has decent leg strength and games like this help with his confidence. I can see games down the road coming down to his ability to make that winning field goal.

• Defense had a good game despite my point #3 above. It was a pleasure to see our defensive line get penetration and have their QB run for his life. Several Sacs, Tackles for loss were up, a couple of interceptions and holding Tank B in check were all positives. Good to see Isaac back, Carter is a beast, Mustipher still working his way back.

• Like the fact that we may have a running game now. Offense had a well balance game from a passing and running point of view. Oline did a nice job protecting Clifford and opening up some holes. No interceptions or sacks (?) – have to love that

• Even though we were winning big the refs should have called that offensive holding on Auburn late in the 4th. It was not even close since our guy was basically wrestled to the ground. I thought the tackle on Auburn moved early a few times but was never called for false start.

• Hated that 4th and 1 call early in the first quarter where Clifford was stopped. I am not a fan of that play since it reminds of the bowl game last year where we got stop on a very similar situation in the first quarter. It’s a risky play that I think you run later in the game once you get a better feel for the defense.

Those long runs when the QB gets out of the pocket are usually the result of playing man for man defense. The DBs are chasing the receivers whereas, in zone defense, the DBs can see when the QB breaks contain and can react quicker.

Reactions: Bison13

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
I'll throw some out:

-Brenton Strange. Hands have improved, making defenders look silly with broken tackles, and he's blocking very well. He's definitely been TE1 and we really haven't seen a game plan use the TEs extra heavy as pass catchers yet.

-Kobe King and Tyler Elsdon improvement in the middle. No, you won't mistake them for a UGA ILB yet, but they are coming downhill much better and either were subbed out on known passing downs or didn't end up a complete liability.

-DL sub pattern is working. Didn't see us get gashes when PJ took rest. Pass rush developing.

-KLS made 2 catches yesterday, but both resulted in 1st downs. That's huge.

ps_1294

Oct 12, 2021
Reffing??
- the non-call on Sutton was horrendous. I think even the announcers said something to the effect that the refs must have dinner reservations!….. ie., get the game over.
- on Singleton’s long, non-TD run, I thought he was horse collared. Anybody else agree?
- the tackle on Clifford when he fumbled sure looked like the Auburn guy went for his head. Way more vicious than Carted in week 1.
- I thought we got the short end of several spots. I thought Ford was at 3 or 4. I think they spotted it at the 7.

Other than that… great game refs!. 😎 John O’Neill could have called it better.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Those long runs when the QB gets out of the pocket are usually the result of playing man for man defense. The DBs are chasing the receivers whereas, in zone defense, the DBs can see when the QB breaks contain and can react quicker.
Agree. On two of them he brought at least five rushers a corner and a linebacker up the middle. So once the quarterback got past the initial group he had a lot of room until the D backs could get him

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Reffing??
- the non-call on Sutton was horrendous. I think even the announcers said something to the effect that the refs must have dinner reservations!….. ie., get the game over.
- on Singleton’s long, non-TD run, I thought he was horse collared. Anybody else agree?
- the tackle on Clifford when he fumbled sure looked like the Auburn guy went for his head. Way more vicious than Carted in week 1.
- I thought we got the short end of several spots. I thought Ford was at 3 or 4. I think they spotted it at the 7.

The defensive back did initially grab Singleton with the horse collar but didn’t drag him down with it. He got his arm around the front and pulled him down sideways.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Reffing??

On the 3rd down conversion that set up their 1st FG, the RT moved early and should have been a false start.

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
They were tackling our d linemen that entire drive. The one on Sutton was the most egregious.

Reactions: ps_1294

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Reffing??

On the Auburn TD the scorer took his helmet off, that's a 15 yarder.

Reactions: MacNit and ps_1294

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Reffing??

He was absolutely horsecollared.

Reactions: Hlstone and ps_1294

PSU_Nut

Oct 19, 2021
Reffing??

The Sutton was a typical no call just to game moving in garbage time.

on Singleton lock run it would have been horse collar but the man adjusted and got his arm over his shoulder pads.

The difference was Clifford was not a defenseless player. It was a good clean hard hit. The carter called in week 1 was terrible.

NB4PSU

Oct 30, 2021

I would have been much morer okay if we lined up 3 deep in backfield and let them know... WE FING ARE and bum blasted them. Rugby scrum time. If ur going to let it ride, then let if fing ride. We ***** footed around and got burned.

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
The penalty committed against DDS should have been called. It was a mugging. And potentially dangerous. That should be called regardless of time on the clock.
How is tackling a DE any more dangerous than tackling a QB, RB, WR or TE?
I think a far more important point is that DDS was all over the field at the end of the game and played really well.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
How is tackling a DE any more dangerous than tackling a QB, RB, WR or TE?
I think a far more important point is that DDS was all over the field at the end of the game and played really well.
Wow - talk about not understanding the subject matter....

Let's agree to these points - he was all over the field and that is good. He was playing well. Tackling a WR, QB, TE, RB is "dangerous".

In the case of DDS, he was a) not tackled and b) hit from behind so much so he flipped backwards head over heels and ended up taking himself out of the game.

Big difference in what happened vs. what your position is on the subject matter.

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
Wow - talk about not understanding the subject matter....

Let's agree to these points - he was all over the field and that is good. He was playing well. Tackling a WR, QB, TE, RB is "dangerous".

In the case of DDS, he was a) not tackled and b) hit from behind so much so he flipped backwards head over heels and ended up taking himself out of the game.

Big difference in what happened vs. what your position is on the subject matter.
The point I was trying to make is that football is a dangerous sport. Although clearly a penalty, I didn’t see it as inherently more dangerous than the rest of the game.
at the end of the day, the non call had zero impact on the game and DDS was not injured.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
The point I was trying to make is that football is a dangerous sport. Although clearly a penalty, I didn’t see it as inherently more dangerous than the rest of the game.
at the end of the day, the non call had zero impact on the game and DDS was not injured.
At the end of the day, the ref made a decision to not make a call that was (in your words) "clearly a penalty" that was more dangerous - and did so only because the game was coming to an end (?).

OK - let's play this a couple of other ways

1. The same play happened four minutes into the 3rd quarter.
2. The play in question happened at the same time of the game, and was targeting, which would have/could have resulted in an Auburn player missing a part of the next game. Because that type of play is also inherently more dangerous than a standard tackle.

In both cases, the ref would have made the call and rightfully so.

The ref chose not to make the call, despite the clear penalty. This was not a non contact penalty - it should have been called.

Reactions: PSU12046

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
At the end of the day, the ref made a decision to not make a call that was (in your words) "clearly a penalty" that was more dangerous - and did so only because the game was coming to an end (?).

2. The play in question happened at the same time of the game, and was targeting, which would have/could have resulted in an Auburn player missing a part of the next game. Because that type of play is also inherently more dangerous than a standard tackle.

The ref chose not to make the call, despite the clear penalty. This was not a non contact penalty - it should have been called.
Okay. I’ll pass your thoughts on to the Big home office.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Great! Can you ask the Big Ten Office from your big home office (your words) how that was not a penalty "Although clearly a penalty" (again your words)? Thank you, Mr. Warren!!

K-Live

Oct 6, 2021

Agree on these points. IMO, refs should make the calls that are there. The score and game time should be irrelevant. Be professional and make the damn call! The DDS non-call was really, really bad. I mean, I don't tell my employees: It's 4pm, an hour before quitting time, feel free to surf the web and shoot me a garbage report your last hour here since the work day is almost over. It's lazy and the refs are there to officiate the game, do your job!

Reactions: bbrown

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
Agree on these points. IMO, refs should make the calls that are there. The score and game time should be irrelevant. Be professional and make the damn call! The DDS non-call was really, really bad. I mean, I don't tell my employees: It's 4pm, an hour before quitting time, feel free to surf the web and shoot me a garbage report your last hour here since the work day is almost over. It's lazy and the refs are there to officiate the game, do your job!
You may not tell your employees to goof off before quitting time, but if there is no work to do I am sure it happens. They just don't do it in front of your face.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
While you are doing that, tell them that we appreciate their officials being able to count to 4. Not like the SEC refs.

So.....they got that going for them.. which is nice.
Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
poor argument. You are arguing for and condoning sloppy, lazy work.
Not at all. Just being real. In my office I expect my employees to work hard and work PAST quitting time if the work demands it. If work is slow, I don't create busy work for them.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Agree! But, but our dinner reservations are for 5:00. Hors d'oeuvres at 4:30!!! Signed, John O'Niell

Reactions: K-Live

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
I mean, I don't tell my employees: It's 4pm, an hour before quitting time, feel free to surf the web and shoot me a garbage report your last hour here since the work day is almost over. It's lazy and the refs are there to officiate the game, do your job!

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.

PSUHarry

Oct 7, 2021
The defensive back did initially grab Singleton with the horse collar but didn’t drag him down with it. He got his arm around the front and pulled him down sideways.
You are correct, he grabbed the collar, then let it go, and pulled on his shoulder instead if I remember. I was happy about that. You get horse collared at that speed something bad is gonna happen.

Reactions: Bison13