Stanford and SMU getting some big time help

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They are getting some high-level assistance in their efforts to join the ACC. Condoleeza Rice has called the conference on behalf of Stanford and George W. Bush has called on behalf of SMU.

Also noted that Stanford has a massive endowment...4th largest in the nation at around $37 billion. Some are suggesting Stanford could essentially buy their way in. They could pay the ACC a full year's worth of league TV revenue without denting their endowment.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
That's the kind of move that gets me to start cheering against them.

Do Stanford and smu actually bring more money to the acc per team? If not, I'm not sure the acc can afford to be picking up charity cases, and I'm not surprised expansion got voted down.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022
Big mistake to add them. Much like when the SEC had a choice of adding Mo. or WVU. ESPN twisted arms and SEC caved and made a BIG MISTAKE. Mo. doesn't fit culturally and the SEC should have gone to school on the B10 refusing to add Mo. even tho Mo. begged and pleaded. WVU wanted a SEC invite.

Reactions: Beehaver

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Do Stanford and smu actually bring more money to the acc per team?

That's the million dollar question that nobody actually knows the answer to (no matter what anyone says). I've read arguments on both sides, but all the arguments are based on opinion.

It was reported that SMU would agree to forgo revenue for 5 years. Stanford would throw some its endowment money around. They could potentially pick up 2 teams for basically free for a few years. I dunno.

As one ACC official said "Hel*, if you've got Condi Rice on your side, why not have her make the call?"

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Beehaver

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jul 8, 2023
Big mistake to add them. Much like when the SEC had a choice of adding Mo. or WVU. ESPN twisted arms and SEC caved and made a BIG MISTAKE. Mo. doesn't fit culturally and the SEC should have gone to school on the B10 refusing to add Mo. even tho Mo. begged and pleaded. WVU wanted a SEC

I agree , I dislike everything about MO being in the SEC. I would never take a road trip to MO. WVU would have been a much better choice ...imho

Reactions: USCEDGE

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Big mistake to add them. Much like when the SEC had a choice of adding Mo. or WVU. ESPN twisted arms and SEC caved and made a BIG MISTAKE. Mo. doesn't fit culturally and the SEC should have gone to school on the B10 refusing to add Mo. even tho Mo. begged and pleaded. WVU wanted a SEC invite.
I don't view Mizzu as a worse add than WVU. Athletics wise, it's basically a push. Mizzu is head and shoulders above WVU on the academics side, being an AAU member. Plus, it was more about getting the then evolving SEC Network into a big market. That reason alone is why I think the SEC would prefer to poach NC/VA teams from the ACC than Clem/FSU when/if the time is right.

Reactions: KingWard

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't view Mizzu as a worse add than WVU. Athletics wise, it's basically a push. Mizzu is head and shoulders above WVU on the academics side, being an AAU member. Plus, it was more about getting the then evolving SEC Network into a big market. That reason alone is why I think the SEC would prefer to poach NC/VA teams from the ACC than Clem/FSU when/if the time is right.
Meh, yeah, not much of a difference. WVU has terrible academics though.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
That's the million dollar question that nobody actually knows the answer to (no matter what anyone says). I've read arguments on both sides, but all the arguments are based on opinion.

It was reported that SMU would agree to forgo revenue for 5 years. Stanford would throw some its endowment money around. They could potentially pick up 2 teams for basically free for a few years. I dunno.

As one ACC official said "Hel*, if you've got Condi Rice on your side, why not have her make the call?"
I mean, why not try it? I've also seen SMU would go to 7 years with no distributions. That allows you to plant the ACC flag in TX, then in 7 years when they're eligible for distributions, the B12 TV contract is up as well. Good opportunity to go to work there. It would be difficult to just add 2 programs from CA without some sort of probability of adding nearby programs in the near future.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Meh, yeah, not much of a difference. WVU has terrible academics though.
Yeah, those SEC robotics and chemistry competitions the networks show on Saturday nights in primetime would have taken a huge hit.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
It doesnā€™t appear this is going away and is not over. A true vote was never taken it was simply a poll to see where everyone stood. Now UNC and NCST are close to flipping. Those teams being added would not receive payouts for atleast 5 years.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Disagree about the desirability of adding a school in a state of 1.8 million people and shrinking - a school that is so hurting that it is considering eliminating its language department, over an AAU institution in a large state.

To accentuate the point. https://wvmetronews.com/2023/08/18/...west-virginia-university-from-financial-pain/

Dumpster fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Cock