Starocci Tweet, 3/10/24

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Normally, I put tweets in the Social Media thread, but some are worthy of their own thread.

Draw your own conclusions, but I think he's letting us know about whether or not he'll be using the COVID year available to him.

Last edited:

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Normally, I put tweets in the Social Media thread, but some are worthy of their own thread.

Draw your own conclusions, but I think he's letting us know about whether or not he'll be using the COVID year available to him.

vhttps://twitter.com/carterstarocci/status/1766691455559487930
Tom,
Link is not opening. What’s Carter saying ? Love to get him, BB, and Kerk back. That team with Van Ness could break the points total at Nationals.

GoPSU97

Oct 11, 2022
I’ll be an eternal optimist. His next chapter is Nationals and he’s thanking Penn State for allowing him to forfeit out to get ready.

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Getting to know Carter a bit and having a recent conversation with him, he is most likely done after this year.

The goal when I first met him two years ago was to only go for four National Championships.

Beau is most likely coming back and Kerk is 50/50.

Fed83

Oct 31, 2021

vhttps://twitter.com/carterstarocci/status/1766691455559487930
Why would he walk out for two losses? Why not just pull out of the tournament?

Reactions: JBott

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah, if he wasn’t healthy enough to participate in the postseason, I think we would have seen Bearclaw yesterday. He’s a senior also and earned an opportunity to compete as well. I wouldn’t read too much into that tweet.

Reactions: Locopsu

JBott

Nov 1, 2021
He had to forfeit out of the 2 Big 10 matches to be eligible for an “At Large” spot in the National Tournament. He will take 2 losses and it will affect his seeding, but most feel if he’s ready to wrestle that won’t make much of a difference.
If they knew he wouldn’t be ready for NCAA’s they would have entered Barraclough. He’s AA quality guy imho!
I think Carter is frustrated about not being allowed to wrestle at Big 10’s and this is his reaction. I hope calmer heads prevail in both the short and long term.

Last edited:

JBott

Nov 1, 2021
Just about every interview CS gives, he isn’t a fan of school ( 5 years, I get it ) and he has big goals (Olympics and MMA)
I love Carter as a wrestler, but making the Olympic Team in 2024 is a stretch for him! To make 74kg he has cut 11lbs more to 163lbs and then beat Kyle Dake or Jason Nolf. If he can’t make 74kg he will have to go 86kg which is 189lbs and beat David Taylor and Aaron Brooks!

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Getting to know Carter a bit and having a recent conversation with him, he is most likely done after this year.

The goal when I first met him two years ago was to only go for four National Championships.

Beau is most likely coming back and Kerk is 50/50.
Rumors are swirling that he wanted to go and Cael said no. He is frustrated and left MD and is back in State College. Do you have any knowledge of this?

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Rumors are swirling that he wanted to go and Cael said no. He is frustrated and left MD and is back in State College. Do you have any knowledge of this?
That I do not know. He really wanted to wrestle yesterday but the plan going into the Big 10 championships was to medical forfeit.

Carter is an emotional person. One of the keys to his success is his emotions. The above tweet illustrates the sequence of events from yesterday perfectly.

GoPSU97

Oct 11, 2022
I have never been as good at anything as Carter is at wrestling so I won’t say I can even comprehend what it’s like to have to forfeit out of the tournament. That being said, I hope he is enough of a team player to show up tonight to cheer and celebrate his team.

NewWilmNit

Nov 2, 2021
I have never been as good at anything as Carter is at wrestling so I won’t say I can even comprehend what it’s like to have to forfeit out of the tournament. That being said, I hope he is enough of a team player to show up tonight to cheer and celebrate his team.
I am no insider and I am very hopeful that cooler heads prevail and he ultimately apologizes to his team and shifts his focus back to getting ready for nationals, but thinking this tweet is anything besides him rage quitting is just naive.

He wanted to wrestle. He got overruled by his coaches. He left the tourney and went home. He sends "goodbye" tweet. It's black and white what happened.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
This is what I've heard, plus he had a large group bus in to see him from Erie. Not sure if true.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
That I do not know. He really wanted to wrestle yesterday but the plan going into the Big 10 championships was to medical forfeit.

Carter is an emotional person. One of the keys to his success is his emotions. The above tweet illustrates the sequence of events from yesterday perfectly.
Let’s all give Carter our support. He needs it right now. Especially with the National tournament looming. He gotta stay focused. Help lift his spirits. Love to see him come back on a mission at Nationals. I’m sure our donors will be speaking to him about next season. Now is Not the time.

DC89

Oct 8, 2021
It seems he wants to go, especially after Cael wouldn’t let him wrestle. But, with the NIL money he is rumored to be getting, it would seem to be quite a pay cut. Maybe when the dust settles he will reevaluate

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Let’s all give Carter our support. He needs it right now. Especially with the National tournament looming. He gotta stay focused. Help lift his spirits. Love to see him come back on a mission at Nationals. I’m sure our donors will be speaking to him about next season. Now is Not the time.
Spice, get a life. Get one while you still can, before it’s too late.

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
I am no insider and I am very hopeful that cooler heads prevail and he ultimately apologizes to his team and shifts his focus back to getting ready for nationals, but thinking this tweet is anything besides him rage quitting is just naive.

He wanted to wrestle. He got overruled by his coaches. He left the tourney and went home. He sends "goodbye" tweet. It's black and white what happened.
If he went home, won’t he need to come back to MD to take the 2nd MFF to be eligible for Nationals?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
That's why I find it hard to believe that he won't wrestle at the NCAAs. I can't believe that he would abandon his team.
Even more, he would be abandoning the goal of the entire season, which is clearly still attainable otherwise he wouldn’t have been saved yesterday. It would be short sighted to walk away now.

tzinger

Oct 11, 2021

In my very humble opinion, it would have been coaching malpractice to have let him wrestle!
Same upside, win Natty. Downside, ………

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
While Carter didn’t like Cael’s decision, it was the correct decision. The goal is winning a 4th championship and another team title. I don’t expect the goal has changed one bit. No chance he’s capable of wrestling in the NCAA tournament and stays home. None period

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
That's why I find it hard to believe that he won't wrestle at the NCAAs. I can't believe that he would abandon his team.

If it’s true he abandoned the team and went back to State College instead of supporting his teammates going for championships tonight, I’d have no problem if Cael decided to leave him in State College and take 9 to Kansas City.

Last edited:

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
So he is not wrestling nationals then? Sent it at midnight. Maybe a few cocktails were in him? Don’t think Cael has ever cared about big tens. He as a wrestler and a coach cares about nationals. Hopefully he can get Carter back in that mindset.

Last edited:

bohucon

Oct 31, 2021
In my very humble opinion, it would have been coaching malpractice to have let him wrestle!
Same upside, win Natty. Downside, ………
It comes down to the medical staffs decision. They could say you're not 100% and if you wrestle you could do more damage. At that point, a good coach would say I am not going to jeopardize your health for this tournament. If true, Coach Sanderson was looking out for CS long term health and not a short term result.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
First thing is, no one here knows exactly what the injury to his knee is. So to say it is the right decision to sit him or coaching malpractice to let him wrestle is just ignorant. If in fact he was clearer to wrestle, and had a bus load of people coming from Erie, I feel for him. If he wasn't cleared to wrestle and still had a bus load of people coming then that is on him.
People here tend to jump to conclusions without knowing the facts. Part of that is on the coaching staff, there is almost no transparency regarding injuries. Cael
himself said nothing changed " seek and destroy".
I think the coaches are the best in the world and even better individuals, but I don't think Starocci is 100% responsible for this situation.

Lionlaw

Oct 31, 2021
I do not have the wrestling knowledge to post here often - but doesn’t it come down to history? Only 4 or 5 (?) other wrestlers have won 4 national titles? Seems like a lot to give up, to be #5 (or 6), and the first from PSU, over a disagreement with your coach. Heck, you might choose to never be associated with PSU again, but that’s who brung ya - and I don’t think he wants to leave the dance.

Latest posts