Top 25 / Host Projections

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I figure it’ll be easier to keep all of today’s releases in a single thread. We cracked the Baseball America Top 25.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
It's a me problem I'm sure, but my brain can't process that ranking format.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Kentucky at 9 is comical… put LSU logo on their record and where are they ranked?
Is it? Their best series win is vs UGA, and they lost 2 of 3 vs UT.
We'd be about the same if we hadn't choked away two vs UF and one vs UM (plus a couple of early season slip-ups).
If they can take the Arkansas series, the conversation drastically changes, but I'm skeptical they can.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Is it? Their best series win is vs UGA, and they lost 2 of 3 vs UGA.
We'd be about the same if we hadn't choked away two vs UF and one vs UM (plus a couple of early season slip-ups).
If they can take the Arkansas series, the conversation drastically changes, but I'm skeptical they can.
Yeah Kentucky is good but the first half of their SEC schedule was very manageable. Still, they deserve major prop for starting 14-1, but they’ve lost two series in a row now.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Is it? Their best series win is vs UGA, and they lost 2 of 3 vs UGA.

And they've lost 4 of their last 5 games and two straight SEC series. They're not much better than #9 at this point, if any.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
To get to the top 16 in the RPI, we have to basically win out. We can afford one loss at Arkansas or to Ole Miss according to Boyd's RPI Needs Report

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
To get to the top 16 in the RPI, we have to basically win out. We can afford one loss at Arkansas or to Ole Miss according to Boyd's RPI Needs Report

Probably not getting to Top 16 but I wonder how close we can get. This seems to say we may be able to get close. And look at that ELO jump over two weeks and #15 ranking...

Screenshot_20240429-085141 (1).png

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
That's an interesting report, but it says that our remaining schedule is seven home games, four road games, and one neutral site game. What is the fourth road game?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
What is KPI and is it involved here?

I was listening to SEC softball game yesterday and the announcers were talking about how bad the RPI was and using the KPI instead. Do they have this metric in baseball?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Is it? Their best series win is vs UGA, and they lost 2 of 3 vs UT.
Yes… if LSU had the #3 RPI and was tied for 1st in the SEC with 9 games left they’d be ranked first or second in the country.

But since it’s UK people are finding reasons to explain their record by any means other than they’re an elite team this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog and Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Damn. That thing like it some SEC & ACC. Top 13 are 6 SEC, 5 ACC, plus East Carolina & Coastal Carolina. It’s probably better than RPI, but even the biggest southeast homer would have to agree there’s some bias in its algorithm.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Damn. That thing like it some SEC & ACC. Top 13 are 6 SEC, 5 ACC, plus East Carolina & Coastal Carolina. It’s probably better than RPI, but even the biggest southeast homer would have to agree there’s some bias in its algorithm.
It’s not bias as much as it is the SEC and ACC plus a few select mid majors are the only schools that give a sh*t

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Well, 5 different SEC teams have won it all over the last 6 CWS's.

And none of those teams are among the 4 best teams in the SEC this year.

So......

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
2-seed at #13 Duke paired with #4 Tennessee

I'd think Duke is the most likely team we'd have to steal a hosting bid from. RPI is 21, and there's two other regionals likely to be in their home state. The next best candidate to steal from is probably South Carolina, with their weak conference record (albeit against a really rough slate).

UCSB gets a leg up from being the West Coast rep, and you have the aforementioned issues with the Big 12 likely getting two.

So, pull for the Blue Devils to have a bad weekend against...Longwood (yes, Longwood), and the Gamecocks likewise at Mizzou.
Bonus points if Oklahoma trips up at Texas Tech and it would be great if Oklahoma State was swept at Texas.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
There is no way 2 regional sites are 21 miles from each other. Duke won’t get it if UNC does. That’s good for us if we keep Winning…

State would out draw both of them combined.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
D1 moving us from NR to #16 proves Kendall Rogers loves the "Are we hosting?" tweets.
We were up to #16 in the D1 poll before dropping the series at OM, then we went to NR. That was a bit of an overreaction by D1. If Amani Larry fields a ground ball in the bottom of the 11th, then we win that series and would have stayed ranked in the mid to lower teens. Since that OM series, we're 8-1 (5-1) with a neutral site victory over that same OM team.