Staying or moving on, across college wrestling, 2023

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I usually set this thread up each year after NCAAs, to track activity (returning, moving on, transferring, retiring, etc.) across college wrestling.

Obviously, PSU wrestling is the main focus of this board, and info about PSU wrestlers going, or non-PSU wrestlers coming to PSU, is a main focus. However, most of us have an interest in the D1 college wrestling scene, so please include information about other wrestlers in the thread.

Last edited:

Anon1641582876

Jan 7, 2022
Pretty new here. I love following HS and college wrestling. I noticed on Flo that they list the names on the transfer portal. Mesenbrink is on it. Didn't he defeat Levi in the recent pass? Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't there a logjam at 125 at ASU? There are some graduate 125 lbers, but none that ring a bell. Who knows what additional wrestlers will enter during the off season. Very interesting to watch

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Pretty new here. I love following HS and college wrestling. I noticed on Flo that they list the names on the transfer portal. Mesenbrink is on it. Didn't he defeat Levi in the recent pass? Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't there a logjam at 125 at ASU? There are some graduate 125 lbers, but none that ring a bell. Who knows what additional wrestlers will enter during the off season. Very interesting to watch
Courtney done at ASU, figs is the man there.

jbeldingk

Oct 7, 2021
Yes on Messenbrink over Levi for the Junior World Team spot

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
133 Cannon in portal and so is 197 Woodley from OU but a Pa kid.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Cael is rumored to be visiting Cannon.

No idea what's going on with Woodley. He's been in the portal a long time. Supposedly he was transferring to Michigan months ago, and I guess he still could, but that never materialized.

Reactions: Sloepoke20

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Also, NW HWT Davison is in the portal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
Would love to see Nagao and Truax come to re-inforce those weights ! We'll see...........

headlock

Oct 31, 2021
All of the portal talk and possibilities make me wonder how Cael handles recruiting. Can you tell a recruit that we really want you but we may recruit someone else next week that you can't beat. How does he keep morale high while surfing the "marketplace"?

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
All of the portal talk and possibilities make me wonder how Cael handles recruiting. Can you tell a recruit that we really want you but we may recruit someone else next week that you can't beat. How does he keep morale high while surfing the "marketplace"?

It's about the culture. Cael recruits guys who love the sport, and who will be invested in their teammates' success.

He does not promise or guarantee starting jobs. Everybody knows he will keep recruiting. He does talk about opportunity and tells recruits they'll become the best version of themselves.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Moving on: Rosselli is out at Oklahoma. Rumored front-runner is Koll, with Storniolo as the backup plan.

Reactions: Tgar

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Howard, Nagao, Bartlett, SVN, Haines, Facundo, Starocci, Brooks, Truax, Kerk.

Man, that lineup would be formidable and it would allow the freshman to redshirt and be ready to step in at any time after their RS year. Obviously, it’s a fluid situation with OLY RS and weight management, but that lineup would be really tough.

Reactions: Tgar and SurgeOne

headlock

Oct 31, 2021
It's about the culture. Cael recruits guys who love the sport, and who will be invested in their teammates' success.

He does not promise or guarantee starting jobs. Everybody knows he will keep recruiting. He does talk about opportunity and tells recruits they'll become the best version of themselves.
Thanks for the insight.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Michael DeAugustino (Northwestern, 125) entered the portal. He's a graduate student.

DavidM

Oct 13, 2021
Does anybody know if Cael is actively pursuing Nagao?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Yaraslau Slavikouski (285, Harvard), went in the portal, and selected Rutgers. That's a big pickup for them.

Reactions: Tgar

clucas11

Oct 31, 2021
Does anybody know if Cael is actively pursuing Nagao?
I do not, however, I am sure they are vetting all possibilities and it would seem silly to not at least have a conversation with a wrestler of Nagao's ability. It's hard to know these days what wrestler's are looking for (NIL)...we know pretty clearly what Cael and Penn State look for so the question is, does Aaron Nagao fit into that culture? I do not know enough about him personally to know if he would be a fit in the Penn State room.

I do think Shane Griffith continues to be of interest and someone to keep eyes on in the coming weeks.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I do not, however, I am sure they are vetting all possibilities and it would seem silly to not at least have a conversation with a wrestler of Nagao's ability. It's hard to know these days what wrestler's are looking for (NIL)...we know pretty clearly what Cael and Penn State look for so the question is, does Aaron Nagao fit into that culture? I do not know enough about him personally to know if he would be a fit in the Penn State room.

I do think Shane Griffith continues to be of interest and someone to keep eyes on in the coming weeks.
FWIW, a poster on HR claims to be friends of the family and said both Iowa and Penn State have been in touch with Nagao.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
I just listened. Yes. Penn State, Iowa, and Cornell are all under consideration, as is returning to Minnesota. He hopes to decide by th end of April.
Should be an easy choice. If he wants to win & dominate both as a team & an individual, its PSU. If he wants to learn how to lull the crowd to sleep, then Iowa's the place for him.

By the way, Lilledahl to PSU!!

Reactions: LB99

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
does anyone know if psu is pursuing/and or offered a transfer-or is this information kept pretty low key, unlike football and basketball recruiting information.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
does anyone know if psu is pursuing/and or offered a transfer-or is this information kept pretty low key, unlike football and basketball recruiting information.
Cael's pretty low key. I don't think he runs around saying who he offered.

I think the conventional wisdom is Truax may have been offered to essentially replace Max Dean. Same for Nagao/Cannon to replace RBY.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Cael's pretty low key. I don't think he runs around saying who he offered.

I think the conventional wisdom is Truax may have been offered to essentially replace Max Dean. Same for Nagao/Cannon to replace RBY.
This.