Texas law effective on 9/1/23

accock

Jan 22, 2022
A Texas law that calls for a drunk driver convicted of killing a parent or guardian to pay child support to the victim's children took effect Friday.

The legislation, HB 393, was signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott on June 2. It calls for child support payments if a person convicted of intoxicated manslaughter kills the parent of guardian of a child under the age of 18.

Great law to have JMO

Mar 24, 2022
Only problem is how is the offender going to pay child support if they are in prison.Tragic situation for sure but I’m not sure this will make any difference

Reactions: mickray

Gamecock9395

Dec 10, 2022
Only problem is how is the offender going to pay child support if they are in prison.Tragic situation for sure but I’m not sure this will make any difference
Depends on what they are charged with, some charges are 180 days to two years. For the people who have money, having to pay child support will be a lasting reminder. For those who don't, it just digs deeper at the hole they already reside in.

Vehicular Homicide and Manslaughter Penalties​

The consequences of a driving-related homicide or manslaughter conviction depend on the circumstances. But generally, the possible penalties are:

• Manslaughter. Manslaughter is a second-degree felony. Convicted motorists face two to 20 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.
  • Criminally negligent homicide. Criminally negligent homicide is a "state jail felony." A conviction generally carries 180 days to two years in state jail and up to $10,000 in fines.
  • Intoxication manslaughter. Intoxication manslaughter is a second-degree felony. Convicted motorists generally face two to 20 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines. However, intoxication manslaughter is a first-degree felony if the victim was an on-duty peace officer, firefighter, or emergency medical services personnel. A first-degree felony carries five years to life in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.
Generally, anyone convicted of intoxication manslaughter is looking at a license suspension of 180 days to two years. And motorists convicted of driving-related manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide face a one-year license suspension.

Mar 24, 2022
In SC most cases seem to be at least 3 years incarcerated.Many more than that.I had a client with a totally clean record get 8 years.I don’t think it’s a bad law but I think it will have a small impact