the latest on basketball recruiting....Big timers waiting to sign

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
10. Renardo Sidney - LSU, Mississippi State, UCLA and USC are in the hunt.
31. Keith Gallon - Mississippi State and Oklahoma are the front-runners for now. He will sign in the spring, however.

If we sign these 2 along with Smith this will be an great on paper class

although this was said about Renaldo: Forward Renardo Sidney and Compton (Calif.) Dominguez wing Jordan Hamilton have all been mentioned as possible preps-to-Europe players. None of the five-star prospects has publicly said Europe is a possibility after high school.

Rivals rankinks as of Nov 13---- 74. Mississippi State - Jarvis Varnado makes scoring against the Bulldogs a very tall order.

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
I would think they would want to do what Childress did and sign a multi year deal, so they can opt out if they want to enter the draft after a year.

Personally I think more players should do it, especially if they are receive multimillion dollar guaranteed contracts with player options.

If you don't pan out in Europe, you wouldn't pan out in college and then you wouldn't get drafted at all. If you can parlay your high school success into a multiyear Euro deal, along with a endorsement deal, I think you have to go that route unless you are a sure fire Top 3 pick. Why risk getting exposed in college for nothing?

lawdawg02

Jan 23, 2007
= worth the risk.

plus, he and osby have been tight for years. hopefully they could be a front court tandem to be dealt with. perhaps stans is pitching this lineup for the future: gallon, sidney, osby, smith, bost. that's some serious talent.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
We have a good shot at Gallon.

I just don't see Sidney coming back to MS after being in CA.
He is going after the BIG $$.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
OMlawdog said:
If you don't pan out in Europe, you wouldn't pan out in college and then you wouldn't get drafted at all.

if you dont pan out in Europe as a player right outta high school, that doesnt mean dick in terms of not panning out in college.
the Euro game is 1- totally different and takes time to adjust 2- played against seasoned vets who were stars in college and have experience on you, as well as big hairy sweaty older men who smell like cabbage and are fundamentally sound 3- the coaches there dont have the time to babysit a player and if they cant cut it out of the gate, they sit.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Sidney left Mississippi with no intentions of coming back. I also think he'd be one of those players you have to take the good with the bad with and he'd be a one and done player unless he just sucked bad enough to kill his draft chances. Not that the good wouldn't necessarily be worth the bad, but I'm not going to lose much sleep if we don't sign him.