THE TEN CONSTANTS EVERY FUDGING WEEK!

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
1) Clifford missing several really wide open receivers.

2) Receivers dropping several catchable balls.

3) Repeatedly throwing the ball short of the first down marker on 3rd and 4th downs.

4) Stout missing a FG.

5) Refusing to run any misdirection plays on O.

6) The inability to block the blitz on O.

7) The inability to successfully blitz on D.

8) The over use of blitzing on D.

9) The game-changing impact of an incorrect call by the Big 2(12) officiating crew on the field and / or by the lack of an appropriate review from the booth.

10) The in-game play calling and strategy by our coaching staff helping our opponents more than helping PSU.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

3) Repeatedly throwing the ball short of the first down marker on 3rd and 4th downs.

4) Stout missing a FG.

9) The game-changing impact of an incorrect call by the Big 2(12) officiating crew on the field and / or by the lack of an appropriate review from the booth.

10) The in-game play calling and strategy by our coaching staff helping our opponents more than helping PSU.

Giving up critical third and longs and poor tackling.

UncleRoyBiggins

Oct 12, 2021

4) Stout missing a FG.

Don't forget Franklin trying some cute nonsense like faking a field goal, or going for it on 4th down early in the game in his own territory, etc.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

4) Stout missing a FG.

Outside of those few things, all is well.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
This season has been building for a few years. The lack of commitment to running the ball, the constant changing of offensive coordinators, running shotgun exclusively, qb constantly taking hits from being a primary running option - it all adds up. It's year eight and this offense has a bit of a Frankenstein mish mash to it. This team is much better than its four loss record. If Clifford doesn't get hurt they should be undefeated. With the injury they should only have the loss to OSU. I also think any semblance of a backup qb keeps Clifford from playing against Illinois and is probably much, much healthier against OSU.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I still can’t believe that same old shoulder chuck that smith did on that long run early in the game for a critical first down that led to a Michigan score. How the heck after 3 years is he allowed by this coaching staff to do that .
It’s just part of a larger problem by Franklin and company- little attention to detail or fundamentals. The same issues happen week after week, year after year.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I didn’t read the whole list so I apologize in advance if I’m off on this. I assume giving up a touchdown on the first defensive turn in the second half against teams with a pulse is on there?

Last edited:

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Is it just me or does Franklin just have a knack for $hitt*** the bed in the winnable games?

We go to Ohio State expecting to get blown out, and while not perfect, decisions and play are solid.

Against UM, winnable game....bonehead calls and bonehead plays.

Can we spend the bonehead calls in the OSU game and lose by 30 and beat UM and Illinois?

psuno1

Oct 16, 2021
When they announced Witvoet was the replay official I turned the TV off and went out to rake leaves. No way PSU was winning this game.
Wow. no surprise now on the punt they said was downed at the 2, what a joke the ball ended up in the End Zone. This is the same guy who had a box seats for the UM college baseball run a couple of years ago with all his UM gear on.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
I'm tired of the prep magazines all everything players who consistently fail to produce.

I can't understand how Big 10 linemen on opposing teams are 2-4 star rated and are just so dominant,
farm boys who are just naturally strong.

JoeBot409

Oct 26, 2021

4) Stout missing a FG.

Our backs are too slow for #5

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Opposing QB's who pick us apart in crunch time.
Inability to rush for a first down on 3rd and short.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Don't forget Franklin trying some cute nonsense like faking a field goal, or going for it on 4th down early in the game in his own territory, etc.
Well the fake punt worked. Stout needed to run up the field on the fake FG. I don't think he would have made it, but it would have been better to turn the ball over at the 1 or 2 rather than the 30. Didn't have a problem with trying to mix it up on the first possession of the game and it didn't determine the outcome of the game.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Wow. no surprise now on the punt they said was downed at the 2, what a joke the ball ended up in the End Zone. This is the same guy who had a box seats for the UM college baseball run a couple of years ago with all is UM gear on.
I also thought the spot on Theo Johnsons catch near the Endzone was about 2 yards short.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021

4) Stout missing a FG.

#7 coupled with #8 is an inexplicable combination. I know that the OL issues probably hurt more than ANYTHING about the defense in the grand scheme of the things, but with all of the success that the defense has had otherwise, the inability of PSU blitzes to seemingly EVER "get home" is perplexing, which is compounded by the apparent obsession with the blitz.

Reactions: bbrown

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021
As they say going into a Prevent D in Q4 prevents you from winning. Just bring the heat every play instead.

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021

4) Stout missing a FG.

I don't know the answers for this, but Penn State hasn't scored more than 24 points in any Big Ten game. Prior to coming to Penn State, I expect that Yurcich offenses scored more than 24 points 90% of the time. Granted, one of those years was at Ohio State, but in all the rest I would have to assume he had less to work with than he does here.
That just doesn't make sense. Something, maybe several things, has to be fundamentally wrong.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
#7 coupled with #8 is an inexplicable combination. I know that the OL issues probably hurt more than ANYTHING about the defense in the grand scheme of the things, but with all of the success that the defense has had otherwise, the inability of PSU blitzes to seemingly EVER "get home" is perplexing, which is compounded by the apparent obsession with the blitz.
+1. I have never liked Pry's blitz schemes. I don't know which game it was but the announcers were going on about how inventive they are and I thought "are we talking about the same guy"?

Rotzc

Oct 13, 2021
3rd and Pry. Sadly it’s become to common. Michigan‘s final TD came from the good old Pry late Substitution and his patented delayed blitz.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
Well the fake punt worked. Stout needed to run up the field on the fake FG. I don't think he would have made it, but it would have been better to turn the ball over at the 1 or 2 rather than the 30. Didn't have a problem with trying to mix it up on the first possession of the game and it didn't determine the outcome of the game.
I wouldn't have had any problem with PSU going for it from the 2 in that situation. I didn't like the fake at all. They had just run a fake punt that UM was in coverage on.

All that said I would have taken the 3 with it likely being a close game.

danvillenit

Oct 30, 2021
I don't know the answers for this, but Penn State hasn't scored more than 24 points in any Big Ten game. Prior to coming to Penn State, I expect that Yurcich offenses scored more than 24 points 90% of the time. Granted, one of those years was at Ohio State, but in all the rest I would have to assume he had less to work with than he does here.
That just doesn't make sense. Something, maybe several things, has to be fundamentally wrong.
Not sure he had less to work with at Texas and Ok State but he was facing much weaker defenses

Reactions: PSUFTG

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I wouldn't have had any problem with PSU going for it from the 2 in that situation. I didn't like the fake at all. They had just run a fake punt that UM was in coverage on.

I can’t disagree with that although who knows if Stout would have made the FG. In the grand scheme of things, it didn’t determine the outcome of the game. I think Franklin was trying to make something happen and trying to set a tone for a change. It didn’t work of course but Stout should have run up the field after he caught the ball. He probably wouldn’t have made it but he would have at least pinned Michigan down near its own goal line.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

PSUForever

Nov 6, 2021
3rd and Pry. Sadly it’s become to common. Michigan‘s final TD came from the good old Pry late Substitution and his patented delayed blitz.
Apparently though according to the Franklin and Pry apologists it was all the player's fault for running into each other. Had nothing to do with a bad defensive call.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021

Even going from it from the two strikes me as incomplete. Franklin should have challenged the spot. I chalk that up to a lack of detail on Franklin's part. Does he even have anyone looking at replays to relay down to him?

Oct 31, 2021
Brandon Smith tried to tackle by lunging his shoulder.
I've been screaming this at the TV every effin week since the season started. Give me the old, married, not a physical specimen Brandon Smith from a few years ago WHO TACKLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I can take another shoulder bump. If he won't tackle, pull his effin *** off the field!!!!!!!

Reactions: PSUFTG