Thoughts from the couch….

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
1. Good win. This was needed for the squad, the staff, and most importantly for the BWI Legion of Coaching Excellence.

2. Minnesota‘s Tight End (88) is a freaking monster. If MInny would have targeted him more, he could have had a phenomenal game.

3. Not sure if there was any kind of wind issue inside the stadium - it seemed that Minny’s punts and the INT thrown by Clifford seemed to sail. Caused some probable trying to catch the ball.

4. One difference for this game is it looked like the WRs were going up for the 50/50 ballls. Since CJF has been here, he has WRs who would go up for the 50/50s - Blacknall, Godwin and Dotson come to mind right away-not so much this year, before this game.

5. I was actually excited that Minny got called for false starts. Crowd was energetic.

6. Good pass blocking by the OL - and Clifford stayed in the pocket, which gave him the opportunity to hit he receives, especially TEs. That is not been a luxury at times this year.

7. Speaking of TEs - WOW! Finally!! Got all three TEs involved and it’ss nice to see a breakout by Theo Johnson.

8. I was impressed with the mechanics of how Minny’s OL blocks for the running backs - They do a great job of sealing off the defenders and creating a lane between the tackles. Penn State does not seem to do that.

9. The relationship between Sean Clifford and the fans is at best….complicated.

10. Defense really played well and with a couple of minor exceptions, pretty much controlled Minny. On the Minny TD drive at the end of the first half, you have to give the QB and WR credit for the great catch along the sideline. Perfectly placed.

11. Conversely, Clifford’s pass and catch by Tinsley along the PSU sideline was also great placement and great catch.

12. Someone mentioned no PI on the PSU int. I thought it was going to get called, but watching the replay it did not seem like it - the recivver seemed to slip down on his own. However, in the first drive after Minny got their FG, the Minny defender interfered with the WR - and nothing called. So….to whomever mntioned PI calls - II think PSU got hosed more than Minny.

13. Nice to hear the commentators gush abou the White OUt. As usual, it looked greeat on TV.

14. Anyone thinking that CJF should have put Allar in for “highlight” is an idiot. Clifford had one of his better outings, was moving the ball and leading the team. It was his game.

15. So ultimately, the squad, the staff and most importantly the BWI Legion of Coaching Exellence got a good win over a team they should have gotten a good win against. I don’t gamble, but I saw the line was minus 5 and obviously (LOL) PSU exceeded whatever expectations were out there for this game.

16. We all know who is coming to the Beav next week. I hope the crowd is as loud next week as they were this week. I also echo something CJF said in his post game - don’t sell your tickets to OSU fans.

17. Ultimately, PSU is 6-1 will move up in the polls, and 10-2 is not out of the realm of possibility for the program this year. Those who feel like they get to decide what the ”standard” is, can decide whether that is an acceptable aspiration or not.

FTG

Last edited:

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
It was a very nice *** whipping. The thing I noticed most is that this board has been pretty silent since the win. People love to complain and call for Franklin’s head after a bad loss but keep their mouth’s shut after a win like last night on national TV.

Where are all of you negative Nancy’s this morning? I guess you didn’t watch last night?

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
It was a very nice *** whipping. The thing I noticed most is that this board has been pretty silent since the win. People love to complain and call for Franklin’s head after a bad loss but keep their mouth’s shut after a win like last night on national TV.

Where are all of you negative Nancy’s this morning? I guess you didn’t watch last night?
Yeah it does tend to get quiet. Maybe they are researching the standard that they feel they can control.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
The biggest improvement on the defense was 2 fold:

1. Alignment. DE maintained outside leverage on the strong side while WDE protected inside shoulder, outside player.

2. LB usage. Jacobs at Sam, Carter seemed to rotate between Will and Mike. They weren't perfect, but this is a much better combo. The best 2 need to be on the field. Jacobs had 14 tackles, 2 for loss. Best game of the year. Carter had 8.

Noticed we ran blitzed Elsdon quite a bit, which clogged his gap early, vs letting him read the run (a weakness of his). It wasn't flawless, but he had 3 tackles, 1 for loss.

Nice to see Katshir get some snaps. 2 tackles in a small sample.

DL, again, wasn't great. Very little penatration. Pushed where the OL wanted them quite a bit, leaving some big running lanes. DEs did better at outside contain save for the 2 plays the QB pulled the read.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
1. Good win. This was needed for the squad, the staff, and most importantly for the BWI Legion of Coaching Excellence.

2. Minnesota‘s Tight End (88) is a freaking monster. If MInny would have targeted him more, he could have had a phenomenal game.

3. Not sure if there was any kind of wind issue inside the stadium - it seemed that Minny’s punts and the INT thrown by Clifford seemed to sail. Caused some probable trying to catch the ball.

4. One difference for this game is it looked like the WRs were going up for the 50/50 ballls. Since CJF has been here, he has WRs who would go up for the 50/50s - Blacknall, Godwin and Dotson come to mind right away-not so much this year, before this game.

5. I was actually excited that Minny got called for false starts. Crowd was energetic.

6. Good pass blocking by the OL - and Clifford stayed in the pocket, which gave him the opportunity to hit he receives, especially TEs. That is not been a luxury at times this year.

7. Speaking of TEs - WOW! Finally!! Got all three TEs involved and it’ss nice to see a breakout by Theo Johnson.

8. I was impressed with the mechanics of how Minny’s OL blocks for the running backs - They do a great job of sealing off the defenders and creating a lane between the tackles. Penn State does not seem to do that.

10. Defense really played well and with a couple of minor exceptions, pretty much controlled Minny. On the Minny TD drive at the end of the first half, you have to give the QB and WR credit for the great catch along the sideline. Perfectly placed.

11. Conversely, Clifford’s pass and catch by Tinsley along the PSU sideline was also great placement and great catch.

12. Someone mentioned no PI on the PSU int. I thought it was going to get called, but watching the replay it did not seem like it - the recivver seemed to slip down on his own. However, in the first drive after Minny got their FG, the Minny defender interfered with the WR - and nothing called. So….to whomever mntioned PI calls - II think PSU got hosed more than Minny.

13. Nice to hear the commentators gush abou the White OUt. As usual, it looked greeat on TV.

14. Anyone thinking that CJF should have put Allar in for “highlight” is an idiot. Clifford had one of his better outings, was moving the ball and leading the team. It was his game.

15. So ultimately, the squad, the staff and most importantly the BWOI Legion of Coaching Exellence got a good win over a team they should have gotten a good win against. I don’t gamble, but I saw the line was minus 5 and obviously (LOL) PSU exceeded whatever expectations were out there for this game.

16. We all know who is coming to the Beav next week. I hope the crowd is as loud next week as they were this week. I also echo something CJF said in his post game - don’t sell your tickets to OSU fans.

17. Ultimately, PSU is 6-1 will move up in the polls, and 10-2 is not out of the realm of possibility for the program this year. Those who feel like they get to decide what the ”standard” is, can decide whether that is an acceptable aspiration or not.

FTG
You left out the part about the streaker.

Reactions: BriarwoodBash

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
Let me say this about that: a great win after the embarrassing loss last week, but, one game does not a season make, UNLESS, it is a win against Ohio State next weekend. A 10-2 record would be really nice, but no concession should be in anyone's mind re: next week.

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Tinsley and Washington were great, as were our TE's (Strange may not have gotten many looks but we know he's a stud). Clifford after the 1Q was pretty damn good actually. The OL did a great job pass protecting. Minny was touted as having a stout D and we tore it up pretty good thru the air.

Good to see Singleton and Allen break off some pretty good runs. But for each one of those it seems there's 2 or 3 for no gain or only a yard or two. OL still doesn't seem to consistently make holes for the RB's. Which makes me wonder why the discrepancy between pass blocking performance and run blocking.

But overall... great win for the huge home crowd. Hopefully a confidence booster going into next weekend.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021

15. So ultimately, the squad, the staff and most importantly the BWOI Legion of Coaching Exellence got a good win over a team they should have gotten a good win against. I don’t gamble, but I saw the line was minus 5 and obviously (LOL) PSU exceeded whatever expectations were out there for this game.

FTG
This has become my fav segment. Now you gotta keep doing it. Cheers

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

FTG
Nice take....however, the BWICAC is omnipotent and omniscient.....they dictate "the standard" and 10-2 is "expected." Because "WE" always deserve better.
I do enjoy winning, if only to see the "loyal" fans contort themselves in an effort to accentuate the negative.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

Hard at work game planning for next week. They are optimistic results will be more to their liking.

Reactions: Wow

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
Excellent points all. In regards to the fans’ relationship with Clifford, if the general consensus is similar to mine, we really like the kid, but he’s holding the program back at this point. He’s had his time, and the future is stuck behind him on the depth chart. He’s never going to be better than he is now…it’s Allan’s time.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021

Loved the win and everything about it, but going to be honest it's an entirely different gm if Morgan is playing. I'll take the dub and move on though gladly.

Reactions: ManxomeLion

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Excellent points all. In regards to the fans’ relationship with Clifford, if the general consensus is similar to mine, we really like the kid, but he’s holding the program back at this point. He’s had his time, and the future is stuck behind him on the depth chart. He’s never going to be better than he is now…it’s Allan’s time.
Perfectly written

Reactions: Classof09

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Tinsley and Washington were great, as were our TE's (Strange may not have gotten many looks but we know he's a stud). Clifford after the 1Q was pretty damn good actually. The OL did a great job pass protecting. Minny was touted as having a stout D and we tore it up pretty good thru the air.

Good to see Singleton and Allen break off some pretty good runs. But for each one of those it seems there's 2 or 3 for no gain or only a yard or two. OL still doesn't seem to consistently make holes for the RB's. Which makes me wonder why the discrepancy between pass blocking performance and run blocking.

But overall... great win for the huge home crowd. Hopefully a confidence booster going into next weekend.
I think part of the problem is that for reasons I’ll never understand the offense insists on running between the tackles against run stacked defenses. The run blocking got much better after Clifford completed passes, especially to TEs which got LBs out of the box. Just my 2 cents.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Hard at work game planning for next week. They are optimistic results will be more to their liking.
Sort of tells you all you need to know about certain people who constantly criticize Franklin and the team even when the team’s win isn’t “to their standards” but always disappear and never compliment Franklin or the team when PSU plays well.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah-I don’t agree. You want to move out the QB who has the team at 6-1 and has accounted for 17 TDs including 4 rushing TDS (and 3 picks) - just because you want to see what a freshman can do? You want to risk the rest of this season for the hope that it may mean something two years from now? And you want to do this with the #2 team coming to the Beav?

Ridiculous

LionsMD

Jan 29, 2022
one thing I noticed is that Franklin was holding a play sheet for many parts of last nights game, which he did not do during the Michigan game. This tells me that there could be some discontent or miscommunication amongst Franklin and the assistant coaches on play calling.

Completely different offensive game plan last night as compared to a Michigan. This is the Yurcich game plan that I expected to see. It will be interesting to see what game plan shows up for Ohio State.

All around great effort by the team and the coaches last night. Let’s keep the momentum going.

Reactions: PO60

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah-I don’t agree. You want to move out the QB who has the team at 6-1 and has accounted for 17 TDs including 4 rushing TDS (and 3 picks) - just because you want to see what a freshman can do? You want to risk the rest of this season for the hope that it may mean something two years from now? And you want to do this with the #2 team coming to the Beav?

Ridiculous

When you take a step back and look at the season so far there is no way you bench Clifford. The season isn’t over and at 6-1 we are still in the hunt for a conference championship. Even if we lose on Saturday we are still in the hunt for a 10-2 season and a big time bowl game.

I know that fans want to dump the season and start preparing for next season but I can guarantee that the team doesn’t and the coaches don’t either. Does anyone here think any of the seniors on this team where this is their last year at PSU wants to dump this season and start preparing the team for a run in 2023? I would dare anyone here to say that to the face of any player on the team, senior or not.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021

The lady that had the seats next to me was like this. Penn State has a good play, scored, etc. she did little golf clap. Bad play, penalty, etc. the ***** was as loud as hell crying about it.

LionsMD

Jan 29, 2022

The game was a 7:45 to 11:00 pm Saturday night game and it is now Sunday morning. I wouldnt expect a lot of activity on social media and message boards based on the timing of last nights game.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
one thing I noticed is that Franklin was holding a play sheet for many parts of last nights game, which he did not do during the Michigan game. This tells me that there could be some discontent or miscommunication amongst Franklin and the assistant coaches on play calling.

Completely different offensive game plan last night as compared to a Michigan. This is the Yurcich game plan that I expected to see.

So who do you think called the plays to the TEs? Franklin or Yurcich?

Reactions: 81BandW

LionsMD

Jan 29, 2022
So who do you think called the plays to the TEs? Franklin or Yurcich?
That is one of the biggest questions that I have. Little to no involvement of TEs in the Michigan game and lots of involvement of TEs in last nights game. Who made the change? Franklin or Yurcich? If the TE is used appropriately in a game plan, then it is very difficult to contain the offense.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
That is one of the biggest questions that I have. Little to no involvement of TEs in the Michigan game and lots of involvement of TEs in last nights game. Who made the change? Franklin or Yurcich? If the TE is used appropriately in a game plan, then it is very difficult to contain the offense.

Clifford threw the ball on time as well. That's a big factor outside of any play calls. The INT pass wasn't a great throw, but it seemed to loosen SC up. The TD to Washington was a perfect example. Blitz coming, SC put the ball in the air, and our WR beat the DB. The throws to the TEs were on time and led to YAC.

You have to maximize your opportunities and exploit what the defense gives. I hope we play loose vs OSU. We'll likely be 2 TD underdogs at home. Attack what they give us.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

I'm sure some would attribute the change to Rhule.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
I don't think Clifford is holding the program back, he just can't beat the better teams by himself. I don't fault the guy, OSU and Michigan have out recruited us at key spots for years and then they exploit that advantage when they play us. With our current recruiting and development state, Allar isn't beating OSU next week either. But after OSU are four very good opportunities to get your #1 HS recruit on the field and let him show the world why PSU is the place to be for the next three years. Allar beats Michigan and OSU two years from now because we use this year to start to lure better recruits here over that time period, close the gap and give him a chance over the next few seasons. Only one team each year can claim they got the #1 HS QB recruit; when someone hands you a hammer, you use it. Unless you are posters on this board, then you hide the hammer in the shed, call people names, and then get all hot and bothered over beating an unranked QB-less Minnesota. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

They're resting for the inevitable deluge of "we suck" posts that will rain down during and after the very likely loss to OSU.

NB4PSU

Oct 30, 2021
Agree with most points... but it is fascinating that no one mentioned Morgan not playing (a guy who gives us fits with his hard count and causess rushers to hold a count before teeing off). Would minny have won with him? Would HE have targeted his huge TE more? I think it would have been much closer, but it would not have stopped US from putting points on the board and I still think we win... but hardly a blowout.

It was kinda fun to see the crowd get to their OL (and again, did having brand new QB in that kind of situation cause a very experienced OL to go off the rails?)... against big teams like Minny we have an advantage with our speed and overall talent (against UM, that doesn't work as well since they have equal talent).

In general, I enjoyed watching us make plays on offense and seeing the 2 young backs compete (and also compete against each other)... good for Sean to come up big in his last whiteout, and great that we could win this game despite sitting some pretty good players of our own.

I think we'll play osu better than we did um (hope so lol)... doubt we win but we could make it interesting and interesting at home can lead to an upset.

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
Good win and I am very pleased.
Only coaching criticism is that I would like to see them stop calling timeout on thrid down when on defense.

Auxgym

Oct 13, 2021

Ridiculous
Franklin's quote last nite was perfect about Clifford starting at QB. "It sends the wrong message for him not to start"

Reactions: NB4PSU

NB4PSU

Oct 30, 2021
A win is a win. Similar to last week, when a defense gives up 40+, who is behind center sometimes isn't as relevant.
Well yes, a win is a win. But that was the #3 QB on their depth chart at the beginning of the season (not sure if Kramer is injured) and had virtually zero experience as he gets literally thrown to the lions in a whiteout. So personally, I'm pleased we played well and got the michigan game out of our system... but Tanner Morgan would have made it much more competitive. IMO, of course. :)