Thoughts on Spring Game

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I don’t take much from the spring game because it’s not 1s vs 1s but a few things stood out to me from a player standpoint.
1. Our front 7 look like night and day from a depth, size, speed, and ability standpoint. Our DL and OL won’t be a problem.
2. We need another receiver that can stretch the field. I hope Harbor make a big jump because we will need him to have a successful offense.
3. Our RBs look like actual RBs and we didn’t even see our best RB yet.
4. I’m not saying Sellers will be the best QB ever for us but for the longest we’ve been on the opposite side of a running QB killing us and now we finally have a QB that can truly beat our opponents with his legs and arm. It’s really refreshing.

Reactions: AngloCock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don’t take much from the spring game because it’s not 1s vs 1s but a few things stood out to me from a player standpoint.
1. Our front 7 look like night and day from a depth, size, speed, and ability standpoint. Our DL and OL won’t be a problem.
2. We need another receiver that can stretch the field. I hope Harbor make a big jump because we will need him to have a successful offense.
4. I’m not saying Sellers will be the best QB ever for us but for the longest we’ve been on the opposite side of a running QB killing us and now we finally have a QB that can truly beat our opponents with his legs and arm. It’s really refreshing.
I did not see the game and can only report what I've heard on social media.

1. I heard the OL still looked a bit rough and slow and allowed decent pressure. You don't agree with this? I did hear that Stewart looked every bit the 5* recruit that he was.
2. How did Mazeo look in the game?
3. I heard similar regarding our RBs, particularly about Braswell.
4. Hard to take much from the spring game, but it seems Sellers at least looked the part. He can definitely spin it and has some wheels as well.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I did not see the game and can only report what I've heard on social media.

1. I heard the OL still looked a bit rough and slow and allowed decent pressure. You don't agree with this? I did hear that Stewart looked every bit the 5* recruit that he was.
2. How did Mazeo look in the game?
3. I heard similar regarding our RBs, particularly about Braswell.
4. Hard to take much from the spring game, but it seems Sellers at least looked the part. He can definitely spin it and has some wheels as well.
The OL was mismatched. So you had players that probably won’t even play unless it’s major injuries starting but individually on the OL players did very well. Like Henry, Simpson, and Thompson stood out. Mazeo would’ve probably had a TD if Ashford threw a better ball but he made a great catch. Our RBs looked like SEC RBs, and Sellers was looking downfield the whole game and ran when he had a wide open lane. He look very nice

Reactions: AngloCock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The OL was mismatched. So you had players that probably won’t even play unless it’s major injuries starting but individually on the OL players did very well. Like Henry, Simpson, and Thompson stood out. Mazeo would’ve probably had a TD if Ashford threw a better ball but he made a great catch. Our RBs looked like SEC RBs, and Sellers was looking downfield the whole game and ran when he had a wide open lane. He look very nice

I heard we didn't do much to stretch the field vertically. No passes over 25 yards.

Reactions: Maccmaine12

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I heard we didn't do much to stretch the field vertically. No passes over 25 yards.
Yea which was probably the game plan but I couldn’t see how good our DBs and WRs actually looked. If we don’t get another wideout then we need to do whatever it takes to make sure Harbor is ready to go

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Yea which was probably the game plan but I couldn’t see how good our DBs and WRs actually looked. If we don’t get another wideout then we need to do whatever it takes to make sure Harbor is ready to go

Beamer said Nyck was "mad" that he wasn't allowed to play in the game.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
Beamer said Nyck was "mad" that he wasn't allowed to play in the game.
I know I might be in the minority but Harbor played good last season when he was given the chance. We saw him make a couple of difficult catches. I’m just ready to see how we look. We shouldn’t be out of a bowl game ever.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I know I might be in the minority but Harbor played good last season when he was given the chance. We saw him make a couple of difficult catches. I’m just ready to see how we look. We shouldn’t be out of a bowl game ever.

I think we saw with him last year what we would expect with a world-class athlete who is inexperienced. He dropped to absolute gimme catches but made a few catches in incredibly tight windows. In one game he did it on back-to-back plays, I believe. Drop an absolute wide open pass that hit him dead in the hands. Either the next play, or very shortly thereafter, Rattler went to him again when he was under tight coverage and he hauled in the grab.

With his speed, we need to try getting him the ball in space. Only problem is, if you watch Nyck's track tapes, he doesn't appear to have explosive speed off the blocks, but his speed kicks in and he pulls away, so there has been concern about him creating space. The caveat, of course, is that he's competing against other world class sprinters, so maybe he can have enough breakaway speed in football to create some early separation.

Goody

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Jan 30, 2022
🤔

TooCocky

Joined Aug 2, 2018
Jan 31, 2022
Oh yes. It’s def spring.
Hope reigns eternal all the way from January thru Sept….ish.
Hearing the same thing I’ve heard for 50ish years.

For me to believe they gotta quit talkin it and start walkin it.