Time to pony up some NIL $. Ohio State is #1 in dodgeball, Penn State's ranked 7th.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Six of the top 11 schools in the country are in Ohio. Who knew dodgeball was so big in Ohio? Time to pony up some NIL money to get the best dodgeball players to Penn State. Only one SEC team in the top 25. So much for SEC speed when it comes to dodgeball!

dodgeball rankings.jpg

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
When I was in high school in Ohio, about half my gym class of about 50 students stayed inside to play dodgeball when the weather turned colder (< 50 degrees for a high temperature). Those of us in the other half of the class, tended to be athletes in different sports, went outside to play football. Pretty much unsupervised except for the “gym leaders” who were senior varsity FB players, but they played on the teams. Mind you, we played in our standard gym attire - cotton gym shorts and t-shirts. It was a blast!

Perhaps those that stayed inside to play dodgeball developed their skills and popularized the “sport” in the state of Ohio over the years. The only explanation I can think of to account for the Ohio dominance.

GulfCoastLion

Oct 14, 2021
Count me as someone who didn’t know Dodgeball was a legit NCAA sanctioned sport. 🤔 Found memories of dodgeball back in Jr high/ high school notwithstanding.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Animated GIF

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Nice to see Tosu found something slightly less laughable than Synchronized Swimming to be #1 at.

I could see attending a game (not really). It would probably be funnier than the movie.

Reactions: LionJim

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Six of the top 11 schools in the country are in Ohio. Who knew dodgeball was so big in Ohio? Time to pony up some NIL money to get the best dodgeball players to Penn State. Only one SEC team in the top 25. So much for SEC speed when it comes to dodgeball!

View attachment 539947
But who has the best tailgates before the big OOC dodgeball matches? We do. Yep, that's right.

Reactions: Bison13 and LionJim

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
The best dodgeball team in the country resides in the Lorenzo Wrestling Complex.

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
The best dodgeball team in the country resides in the Lorenzo Wrestling Complex.
I was just about to say the same… are they talking about the Penn State dodgeball only team in this ranking, surely the wrestling team would be ranked at least as high!

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
On another note, when I was in elementary school in the 60s, the “dodgeball” court on the playground was a circle, where one bunch of kids, usually the weaker ones, stood on the inside, and tried not to be hit by the more aggressive kids throwing at them from outside the circle….it was about as fair as the Christians and the lions!

Then in high school, in the early 70s, we all loved playing the gym class game currently known as dodgeball…

… but we didn’t call it dodgeball… our gym teachers, and we, called it “BOMBARDMENT“!

Anyone else remember this difference?…if not, perhaps it was just a local thing in my hometown!

Reactions: Connorpozlee

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
On another note, when I was in elementary school in the 60s, the “dodgeball” court on the playground was a circle, where one bunch of kids, usually the weaker ones, stood on the inside, and tried not to be hit by the more aggressive kids throwing at them from outside the circle….it was about as fair as the Christians and the lions!

Then in high school, in the early 70s, we all loved playing the gym class game currently known as dodgeball…

… but we didn’t call it dodgeball… our gym teachers, and we, called it “BOMBARDMENT“!

Anyone else remember this difference?…if not, perhaps it was just a local thing in my hometown!
We called it Slaughter Ball. The gym would be divided so there was a backdrop on each side. We used under-inflated volleyballs. They would definitely leave marks - especially on the face.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021

We played bombardment in my elementary school on the Jersey shore as well. I didn’t hear of dodgeball until later on in life.
I do have fond memories of it. Like Lionjim, I have a vivid memory of winning a game for my team as the only survivor against a number of opponents (can’t remember the exact number, but I do remember them coordinating attacks from different angles and me avoiding getting hit like I was in Matrix). I remember my teammates going crazy when I knocked the last opponent out.

Reactions: BriantheLion

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
We played bombardment in my elementary school on the Jersey shore as well. I didn’t hear of dodgeball until later on in life.
I do have fond memories of it. Like Lionjim, I have a vivid memory of winning a game for my team as the only survivor against a number of opponents (can’t remember the exact number, but I do remember them coordinating attacks from different angles and me avoiding getting hit like I was in Matrix). I remember my teammates going crazy when I knocked the last opponent out.
Yeah, I fondly remember getting swarmed. Good times.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Where was this when I was in school? I would’ve loved it. I played in the social leagues in South Baltimore about 20 years ago, but got kicked out of the dodgeball league. I wonder if my name is still up on the wall at the soccerplex with the others who had been kicked out. All of the other ones were for fighting my official reason was for throwing too hard and not caring about hitting people in the face.