To start with I'm an Ole Miss fan. But, I've always had a great deal of respect for the Penn State program.

deputyreb

Oct 13, 2021
I remember watching Shane Conlan terrorize Miami in the Fiesta Bowl. With that said I thought some of you might find my Pennsylvania connection sort of interesting. I'm descended from William McCord that immigrated from Ireland and arrived in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1720. William and his family along with my ancestor David constructed a fort near Chambersburg in Franklin County. The fort was attacked by a band of Delaware Indians led by Chief Shingas in 1756. My ancestor David was killed and his son David jr. (my ancestor) was among the captured. David McCord jr. was rescued and raised by an uncle (John McCord). John eventually moved south to North Carolina with his children and his nephews and nieces. As an adult my ancestor (David McCord jr.) eventually settled in Tennessee. My ancestors eventually settled in Mississippi. That is how I came to live in the south. I've attached a video that I recorded after locating the burial place of David McCord Jr. David Jr. was also a Revolutionary war veteran.

David McCord Jr. cemetery

1704386044529.png

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Nice bit of family history there. PA is a popular place of origin due to its relatively large population at the time.

I have found 9 Revolutionary veteran ancestors on my mom’s side. My 6x great grandfather was in a party that saved The Liberty Bell when the British took over Philadelphia.

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes...ican-revolution-mickley-brothers/65742342007/

Was your 6x great grandfather's unit for breaking the Liberty Bell? When I was in the Army, we used to joke, "You can put six privates in a locked room with a solid 6-foot diameter steel ball bearing, and they'll have it broken within an hour."

Congrats on your family's history and service to the USA! We've found our first ancestor landed on Long Island in 1675. Lots of New York/Pennsylvania militia records from the 1730's on. Dad's Dad was in WW I, Dad in WW II, older brother in Vietnam. My active duty was relatively quiet but the NG unit I was in was called up for DS I.

Shout-out to you and your family as well, deputyreb. My Mom's grandfather wore blue, back in the day. Glad those unpleasantries are behind us.

deputyreb

Oct 13, 2021
Was your 6x great grandfather's unit for breaking the Liberty Bell? When I was in the Army, we used to joke, "You can put six privates in a locked room with a solid 6-foot diameter steel ball bearing, and they'll have it broken within an hour."

Congrats on your family's history and service to the USA! We've found our first ancestor landed on Long Island in 1675. Lots of New York/Pennsylvania militia records from the 1730's on. Dad's Dad was in WW I, Dad in WW II, older brother in Vietnam. My active duty was relatively quiet but the NG unit I was in was called up for DS I.

Shout-out to you and your family as well, deputyreb. My Mom's grandfather wore blue, back in the day. Glad those unpleasantries are behind us.

I had some on both sides. I did have many more that wore gray. It looks like our families go way back on this continent. I'm also a member of the Jamestowne Society. My ancestor William Coxe got off a ship called the Godspeed in 1610 at the age of 12. There were only around 350 in Jamestown at the time.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

Similar in my family line...I have at least two great-great-great grandfathers who served for The Union in The Civil War. One was named Henry Clay Campbell who grew up Pine Grove Mills just outside of State College. His memoirs were cited in a couple of books on The Civil War and my wife tracked them down and got copies from The Military Heritage Institute in Carlisle, PA. Campbell died in State College around 1904 and his descendants - my cousins of varying degrees - still own and run Penn's Cave to this day. It was wild reading him mention local places in his memoirs that were still there 150 years later. It makes one feel "small" in the grand scheme of time.

Meteor-Lion

Sep 21, 2022
I remember watching Shane Conlan terrorize Miami in the Fiesta Bowl. With that said I thought some of you might find my Pennsylvania connection sort of interesting. I'm descended from William McCord that immigrated from Ireland and arrived in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1720. William and his family along with my ancestor David constructed a fort near Chambersburg in Franklin County. The fort was attacked by a band of Delaware Indians led by Chief Shingas in 1756. My ancestor David was killed and his son David jr. (my ancestor) was among the captured. David McCord jr. was rescued and raised by an uncle (John McCord). John eventually moved south to North Carolina with his children and his nephews and nieces. As an adult my ancestor (David McCord jr.) eventually settled in Tennessee. My ancestors eventually settled in Mississippi. That is how I came to live in the south. I've attached a video that I recorded after locating the burial place of David McCord Jr. David Jr. was also a Revolutionary war veteran.

View attachment 496212
Congratulations on your Peach Bowl victory.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021

View attachment 496212
Nice family history. Congrats on the Ole Miss victory in the Peach Bowl. Hope you can hold onto Kiffen, great offensive coach. Your team was explosive offensively. I think if we would have not had our All American DE two starting DBs opting out and our other 1st team B1G DE only play one quarter along with our best starting LBer, the game would have been much more competitive. I think Ole Miss still would have won because the PSU QB and WRs struggled all year. Great season for the Rebs!

deputyreb

Oct 13, 2021
Nice family history. Congrats on the Ole Miss victory in the Peach Bowl. Hope you can hold onto Kiffen, great offensive coach. Your team was explosive offensively. I think if we would have not had our All American DE two starting DBs opting out and our other 1st team B1G DE only play one quarter along with our best starting LBer, the game would have been much more competitive. I think Ole Miss still would have won because the PSU QB and WRs struggled all year. Great season for the Rebs!
I was concerned about the game. I know your program always has an abundance of talent and a tradition of winning. I think/hope Lane will be there at least until his daughter graduates. Good luck next year.

Reactions: Sven56

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021

View attachment 496212
I’ve started reading a book called Blood and Treasure. It’s a historical nonfiction about the expansion of the American frontier beyond the eastern seaboard. Daniel bone’s family is featured prominently as them moved from Easter PA to Virginia, western North Carolina and eventually explore the Cumberland gap to the land called Kentucky. I don’t recall seeing the names of your ancestors, but maybe I missed it.

deputyreb

Oct 13, 2021
I’ve started reading a book called Blood and Treasure. It’s a historical nonfiction about the expansion of the American frontier beyond the eastern seaboard. Daniel bone’s family is featured prominently as them moved from Easter PA to Virginia, western North Carolina and eventually explore the Cumberland gap to the land called Kentucky. I don’t recall seeing the names of your ancestors, but maybe I missed it.
I doubt you will find the McCords mentioned in the book. They were settlers not explorers.

Latest posts