Today (1/23) is National Pie Day

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
and I hope you celebrate accordingly.

I love pies (well, most of them).

While I also love history, I don't think I'll be reaching for a piece of this pie:

What's your favorite kind of pie?

Cherry. I like it as long as its made fresh. C. PA thing.

Followed by Peanut Butter Pie or Peach pie.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
What is the difference between Pie Day and Pi Day?

According to the National Day Calendar's website, National Pie Day was created by the American Pie Council in 1986 to commemorate Crisco's 75th anniversary. National Pi Day is celebrated on March 14 to commemorate the mathematical constant of Pi or 3.14.

Anyway, it’s hard to pick just one favorite. I think I’d go for peach pie followed by key lime as a close second choice.
1706035027647.png
1706035186198.png

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Cherry. I like it as long as its made fresh. C. PA thing.

Followed by Peanut Butter Pie or Peach pie.

interestingly, while I love pies, cherry is one of my least favorites. Since I don't like cherries, I guess it's not much of a surprise to those that know me. Peanut Butter pie is an interesting change of pace, but it's not something that I would want all the time. Peach pie is awesome.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
My wife’s apple and strawberry-rhubarb.
My mom’s pumpkin.
Aside from key-lime, my 6’1”, 260# diabetic self will not push any piece of traditional pie away.

OL

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021
What is the difference between Pie Day and Pi Day?

According to the National Day Calendar's website, National Pie Day was created by the American Pie Council in 1986 to commemorate Crisco's 75th anniversary. National Pi Day is celebrated on March 14 to commemorate the mathematical constant of Pi or 3.14.

Anyway, it’s hard to pick just one favorite. I think I’d go for peach pie followed by key lime as a close second choice.
View attachment 515444
View attachment 515448

Followed by #3 and #4

Reactions: rudedude

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Generally, any fruit filled pie or coconut cream would be great. The blue goose on I 70 in Hancock Maryland, makes a pie they call fruit of the forest which has apples, raspberries, strawberries, and rhubarb in it, delicious

Reactions: rudedude and Nitwit

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Lemon Sponge, it is so much better than lemon meringue.

Sadly, I’m no baker, so a slice of of my uncle’s mince meat pie is thawing as I type.

My grandmother made every pie imaginable and made a killer grape pie with her own grapes and a superb raisin, aka funeral pie. She never used recipes and they’re only memories now.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
If I stick to common pies, my favorites would be:

1. sweet potato (similar to pumpkin, but usually better)
2. blueberry (if you use wild blueberries when making, it's to die for)
3. peach (good right out of the oven, and even better when the filling sets)
4. apple (so many options; double crust or single crust; vary the apple varieties; change around the ingredients)
5. lemon meringue (I prefer homemade, but store-bought will do)
6. pumpkin (homemade are excellent, but store-bought are almost as good)
7. pecan (probably deserves to be ranked higher, but I didn't grow up eating them)
8. key lime (some excellent ones in the Sanibel Island, FL area; I enjoy it as a change-of-pace, but if the ones listed above are available, I'm probably passing)

Pies I don't care for:
1. cherry (I don't like cherries, so why would I want a pie made out of them?)
2. coconut cream (I'm not that big on coconut, so I don't much care for this pie)
3. strawberry-rhubarb (I don't like strawberries or rhubarb, so why would I like both of them in a pie?)

Pies I like -- just rarely see (or make)
1. cranberry streusel (even better if made with wild cranberries)
2. chocolate (my sister-in-law makes a great one)
3. molasses
4. shoofly
5. several different type of Greek pies, which are made with phyllo dough
6. egg custard

Pies that always disappoint:
1. banana cream pie (I love bananas, so how could this go wrong; I'm just always disappointed)
2. mincemeat (no two seem to have the same ingredients)

Pies I've never had that I would like to try
1. mississippi mud (how different is it from a chocolate pie?)
2. chess (seems like a Southern pie that is quick to make, and tasty)
3. water (doesn't sound all that great, but it seems to have been popular during the Depression)
4. persimmon (another one I've read a lot about, but have never seen)
5. bean (sounds as though it's similar to a sweet potato in taste, so I'm curious)

And the above was off the top of my head. I'm probably forgetting quite a few types of pie.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
@Tom McAndrew

Had to revise my list after my wife reminded me of the various pies she makes for me and the kids. They are delicious.

Pies I love:
1. cherry (has to be made with sweet, fresh, ripe cherries)
2. chocolate chess pie (southern thing, love it, my wife makes me for my birthday every year)
3. peaut butter pie (this is a whipped, lighter than you think topping with cool whip mixed in)
4. peach krumble (my wife whips this up during dinner sometimes, another southern thing, it has no shape but its hot, sweet and cinnamony)
5. blueberry pie (again, the right fruit has to be used and it's hard to find and make a really good one).
6. sweet potato pie (my wife makes for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I prefer the next day for breakfast with coffee)
7. Tomato pie (has to be summer, the tomatoes have to be super fresh for this to work and the pie has to be room temp)

haveyoumethoward

Nov 16, 2021
Instead of cake for my birthday my wife makes me my favorite dessert, blueberry pie! A tradition started with my mom in childhood when she asked what kind of cake I wanted and blueberry pie popped out of my mouth! The 76th edition coming up early next month. Can't wait for February 7th!

We grow the blueberries too!

Attachments

• blueberry pie.jpg
    blueberry pie.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Tom McAndrew