TV viewership for wrestling duals in 2023-24

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The below tweet contains two charts. The first shows viewership in chronological order (starting with the 1st dual broadcast this season on 11/26/23 and finishing with the last on 2/25/24), and the second shows them ranked by viewership. The data is from Nielsen, and only takes into account linear TV (sitting at your TV and watching the cable broadcast). So when I watched the Iowa dual via the Flo Sports App while in Florida, or when I watched the Rutgers dual streamed on my computer in an airport due to a flight delay, I'm not included in the viewership numbers.

It may seem surprising that PSU was involved in the lowest viewership dual (Penn State - Lehigh dual), but if you think about that, the dual took place on a Sunday afternoon during the NFL season, so the competition for eyes that day was pretty strong.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Penn State's numbers are skewed by the fact that we are just so far separated from the field currently.

While some will tune in to see the best of the best, there are plenty of people who have no desire to watch a one sided beatdown.

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
The highest rated match was on a national network (FS1). The Penn State-Iowa match was the highest on the B1G and the second highest overall. The third highest was on the largest national sports network ESPN (Iowa and Iowa State)

Reactions: lionlover

Latest posts