under/over on when she mentions @lionjm

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I ran across these lectures, she introduces a mathematian at the beginning of each class. This is when she was a Swarthmore, I dont think she is there now. Anyway the under/over on when she mentions @LionJim is set at 7. BTW she does John Urschel in lecture 2 but there is no GD audio!!!

or we can wait for a verbal.

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Her advisor was Richard Evans Schwartz, big big time. Her grandfather advisor was William Thurston, only “the greatest geometric thinker in history.” She’s okay. I would do that class in ASL, blow the classroom doors off their hinges. Good times. I loved my job.

“Ha! I’m a lot smarter than you. Sucks to be you!”

Said by me never. 😞

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
no sorry. I thought when you said she talks too fast, that if you could slow it down you could lip read what she had to say about Urschel, that's all, I mean no offense.
None taken, from the very beginning. A stupidly inartful response on my part.

Reactions: s1uggo72

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
None taken, from the very beginning. A stupidly inartful response on my part.
I am curious about where she teaches now, I cant seem to find her, but there is another Diana Davis with a PHD in math teaching at some school in Denver, but it is not her . and I dont think she is at Philips Exeter teaching HS either. Her other links wont open for me at work

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I am curious about where she teaches now, I cant seem to find her, but there is another Diana Davis with a PHD in math teaching at some school in Denver, but it is not her . and I dont think she is at Philips Exeter teaching HS either. Her other links wont open for me at work
She’s at Phillips Exeter. She has a serious list of publications. She’s a superb mathematician and evidently a great teacher. All respect. I found my niche and looks like she found hers.

Reactions: step.eng69

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
She’s at Phillips Exeter. She has a serious list of publications. She’s a superb mathematician and evidently a great teacher. All respect. I found my niche and looks like she found hers.
ok let me ask, why teach in HS? I mean Swarthmore isnt a turn your head and cough school, and even though she was 'visiting' professor there, why wouldnt she go to another college? I thought with her background, publications etc she could go to about any college. So why wouldnt she? ( I know you dont know, but best guess?)

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
ok let me ask, why teach in HS? I mean Swarthmore isnt a turn your head and cough school, and even though she was 'visiting' professor there, why wouldnt she go to another college? I thought with her background, publications etc she could go to about any college. So why wouldnt she? ( I know you dont know, but best guess?)
Are you saying it doesn't add up?

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
The tenure track system is quite merciless nowadays. Unless you’re a superstar (very few of us are), there’s always a cheaper alternative to you. Schools nowadays are much less inclined to grant tenure. If you’re tenured, you have a job until your department is closed, basically. Not tenured, they can give you the axe anytime, one year notice.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
The tenure track system is quite merciless nowadays. Unless you’re a superstar (very few of us are), there’s always a cheaper alternative to you. Schools nowadays are much less inclined to grant tenure. If you’re tenured, you have a job until your department is closed, basically. Not tenured, they can give you the axe anytime, one year notice.
More and more you see colleges opening up non-tenure-track positions where you would have reduced research responsibilities and enhanced teaching responsibilities. Normal service responsibilities plus you get benefits. But these tend to be quite low paying positions.

Latest posts