Updates from Casey Cunningham's Monday news conference

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On the roster: Hopefully we're through all the sickness. I think we're in a pretty good spot. For the most part I think everybody will be ready to go. We had a tough couple weeks, but I think we're in a good spot.

Reactions: Dogwelder

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On how many wrestlers can go to Florida: I think we're going to travel about 15 guys. That group is not necessarily determined yet. We have to make sure we have everything covered. We'll have 15 or 16 guys. We're really looking forward to it.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On what PSU liked about the format: We've gone back and forth on this national duals thing. We're not opposed to a national duals but we don't think it should count as the national championship. We like the idea of that, but not what they were trying to make it. Going down here, we get the chance to wrestle three really good teams. We're getting some matchups that maybe we wouldn't see. We liked the idea of national duals but not what they were trying to make it.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On the downside of not crossing over with other pool champion: That would be fine. We were trying to get matchups we wouldn't see during the year. Those are just teams that we wouldn't see, and that's how it worked out. They set up the pools that way.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On 125 and 157 and any possible changes: I think that's true, I think that's what will happen. We'll have a couple of guys at both of those weights. There will be more chances for wrestle offs as the season goes on, too.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Are guys still feeling the impact of the illness? Health-wise, we got everybody back now, and I think everybody feels pretty good. I think by next Monday we'll be ready to rock and roll.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On the idea of going here and not the Scuffle: There's a lot of things you have to consider when putting a schedule together. Last year, it was really weird, but this worked best for this year. We will take a group of guys down to the Scuffle. I'll probably take six guys dow. But, as far as our overall team, this worked best for our schedule.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On Dean vs. Cornell in Florida: I think he still has a really good relationship with those guys. We've just been going week by week. Now, we'll have a chance to talk about that a little bit. No matter who he's wrestling, he's going to wrestle hard.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On Dean at 197: I think he and Beard have made each other better. We got two All-Americans at 197. That's a good spot to be in. Not fun for Beard but he's handled it well. Those guys will continue pushing each other to get better. It's been really good for our room.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Another Dean question: He's done [the bow and arrow on top] for a long time. Guys are successful for a reason. When guys come here and we aren't trying to change them. We're going to help guys get better at what they do already.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On the plan for Facundo: Creighton Edsell is doing a great job for us. Facundo, he's going to wrestle in some more tournaments. You'll probably see him at the Scuffle. For right now, he's redshirting, and Edsell is doing a great job.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On Cornell and UNI: They're both solid teams. Northern Iowa has guys who wrestle really hard and they're coached well. Up and down their lineup, they got a really solid team. Everyone knows Cornell has a great team as well. I'm excited to see our guys wrestle guys of that caliber. There are a lot of matches that could go either way.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
What do they want to get out of it as coaches? We don't talk about wining and losing. We want to win everything we're in. We want our guys to wrestle hard and score a lot of fo points. We want our guys to wrestle hard and score. We want you to wrestle hard, do things you've been working on in the room, not holding onto a lead, not winning by a point, it's a wrestling match. We want to train like crazy for this and go enjoy the opportunity. If you let it rip we know what you have to work on. If not it's hard for us to know what we have to help you with.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On the Scuffle: I think Facundo will be in there. Not sure on Van Ness. Maybe somebody at 25, 57, and the weights we have guys battling. Maybe eight or nine guys there.

Latest posts