USC, UCLA to start D-1 wrestling programs???

LealandLoyal

Oct 29, 2021
???
It could happen. Twice as many high school wrestling participants in California than in any other state. Look it up.

Ernie Ladd

Oct 31, 2021
The key to the reboot of D1 programs at schools will be the start of women’s programs at those same schools. I believe that to grow the sport of men’s wrestling on the collegiate level, we need to embrace the growth of women wrestling also.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3

My Master

Nov 23, 2021
The key to the reboot of D1 programs at schools will be the start of women’s programs at those same schools. I believe that to grow the sport of men’s wrestling on the collegiate level, we need to embrace the growth of women wrestling also.

I'm in...

mick foley mankind GIF by WWE

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
USC has had a wrestling program. It will now get serious.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
If high school participation was a major factor, UCLA would have relaunched and USC would have started a DI program years ago.
As would every school in the UC system, plus the entire CSU system. Including Fresno.

They still need the same things we always ignore: big-hitter donors, some means to fit within Title IX, and a school administration willing to support the program long-term.

Reactions: LB99

EBHS68

Oct 31, 2021
I'm sure BIG has already discussed D1 wrestling programs with them. I hope they do start programs, because if they are not "required" to start them, then a school such as Maryland could decide to drop their program.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
USC and UCLA would be great for our sport of wrestling. Let’s make it grow. Cael and our program will be very happy.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
I'm sure BIG has already discussed D1 wrestling programs with them. I hope they do start programs, because if they are not "required" to start them, then a school such as Maryland could decide to drop their program.
I'm not sure how you can be sure.

Why would they discuss wrestling programs with them and not, let's say, something like hockey? I can't fathom that non-revenue sports were even an afterthought in these discussions.

Ernie Ladd

Oct 31, 2021

Why would they discuss wrestling programs with them and not, let's say, something like hockey? I can't fathom that non-revenue sports were even an afterthought in these discussions.

If they did start programs, and if they are properly funded (two big if’s), they could be relevant pretty quickly, in my opinion, given the talent in California, and the opportunity for that talent to wrestle in the B1G.

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
If they did start programs, and if they are properly funded (two big if’s), they could be relevant pretty quickly, in my opinion, given the talent in California, and the opportunity for that talent to wrestle in the B1G.
Agreed. But the big if's are the problem.

Reactions: Ernie Ladd

Sjordan

Jul 1, 2022
California has programs at Cal Baptist, Cal Poly , CSU Bakersfield, CSU Fresno, Stanford, CSU San Francisco
UCLA used to have a program as did USC, CAL Berkeley, UCDavis, Several Juco programs continue and several shut down and have restarted. Women’s wrestling has been a big help.we almost. Lost Stanford last year but several professional althletetic alumni stepped up and saved wrestling and several other nonprofit stimulating sports.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Agree. This is all about money. And lots of it. Who generates the most money? Football. This move was made strictly with football money in mind. Anything else was an afterthought.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
If the B1G was even remotely interested in bringing in more wrestling programs, they would have brought in Stanford and ASU. The move was made for the LA TV market and football $$$$.
With this in mind, if they are looking to get more PAC 12 teams, Stanford and ASU would be included on my wish list for the wrestling programs. Along with Oregon and Washington for football.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

This plus it apparently went down very quickly. The vote had to be held by 6/30 -- last day to notify Pac 12 of departure without penalies.

B10 commissioner Warren was out of the country on some other business -- which you'd reschedule if you knew you were negotiating with USC and UCLA.

Given how quickly it went down, I doubt anything was seriously discussed other than timeline, football, conference payouts, and possibly renegotiating the TV contracts.

Reactions: BaccaFarmer

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
According to Wikipedia, UCLA & USC already offer more varsity sports than nine existing conference schools. Why should they add more sports if the schools that are already lagging behind them don't?

SchoolB1G Men'snon-con Men'sB1G Women'snon-con Women'sTotal
Ohio State14414537
Penn State14213231
Michigan14014128
Rutgers10214127
Wisconsin11111225
UCLA9212225
USC8212224
Indiana11012123
Michigan State11012023
Illinois10011021
Iowa8013121
Minnesota9012121
Nebraska10011321
Maryland8012020
Purdue10010020
Northwestern8010118

EBHS68

Oct 31, 2021
Let me say it this way. Unless we've been completely hoodwinked by BIG, it has appeared for many years that BIG is very proud of the position it holds in NCAA wrestling. If that's the case, why wouldn't they be induced to start programs? By joining BIG they will be competing with some big schools. I don't think from a prestige standpoint they would want Rutgers to have more men's varsity sports than they do.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Let me say it this way. Unless we've been completely hoodwinked by BIG, it has appeared for many years that BIG is very proud of the position it holds in NCAA wrestling. If that's the case, why wouldn't they be induced to start programs? By joining BIG they will be competing with some big schools. I don't think from a prestige standpoint they would want Rutgers to have more men's varsity sports than they do.

1) the B1G i$n’t THAT proud
2) don’t confuse quantity for quality

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
1) the B1G i$n’t THAT proud
2) don’t confuse quantity for quality
3)Wrestling doesn’t make money. Football does. This is about 2 things 1) Money 2) Money.

We need to stop looking at this like it is a student athlete situation. It’s not. That ship sailed with NIL. This is unchartered waters.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
The B1G is very proud of their wrestling prestige, but again, this is about big tv contracts and football conference dominance. They don’t give a rat’s you know what that Rutgers may have more men’s varsity sports. They care that USC and UCLA will deliver the LA TV market and make the B1G the most marketable football conference for the next TV contracts. (They also don’t care that Rutgers will never compete on the same level as PSU,OSU, Michigan, USC, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. They care that Rutgers delivered the NYC TV market.)

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
3)Wrestling doesn’t make money. Football does. This is about 2 things 1) Money 2) Money.

We need to stop looking at this like it is a student athlete situation. It’s not. That ship sailed with NIL. This is unchartered waters.

Concern for the student athlete sailed several decades before NIL.

Reactions: El_Jefe and PSU2169

AnnArborDave

Nov 1, 2021
???
It could happen. Twice as many high school wrestling participants in California than in any other state. Look it up.
I doubt that will happen a time soon. Prior to its decision to join the B1G, UCLA was facing the need to cut sports as they are deep in the red. Joining the B1G provides a quick bail out and long stern stability for their existing sports. Look for more of this to come out soon as UCLA has to dance before the CA guv and UC Regents in the coming weeks.

Latest posts