Vintage photo of Joe carrying the ball in HS

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Oh so great ro, thank you a lifetime (ha, ha) maybe ten yrs left....
My grandchildren will enjoy your pics as i have.
God speed my friend ro...

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
View attachment 162027
Being pursued by Al McGuire.
Actually, I think that is George. It looks like him and Joe graduated from high school in 44 (another source says spring 45) was in the Army in 45 and went to Brown in 46. Either way on the high school graduation, the photo, if the year is correct, would be in the fall of 45, after Joes graduation. George did not graduate high school until 46.
Update... confirmed Joe graduated high school in February, 1945 (war years changed typical graduation dates). If the photo year is correct, 1945, it is not Joe.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Just for the record, the game was St. John’s Prep against Brooklyn Prep. It was always a big deal to my father that Coach Paterno had a Jesuit education. Edit: To me, too.

Last edited:

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Actually, I think that is George. It looks like him and Joe graduated from high school in 44 (another source says spring 45) was in the Army in 45 and went to Brown in 46. Either way on the high school graduation, the photo, if the year is correct, would be in the fall of 45, after Joes graduation. George did not graduate high school until 46.
Update... confirmed Joe graduated high school in February, 1945 (war years changed typical graduation dates). If the photo year is correct, 1945, it is not Joe.
THANK YOU MUCH…DEBBI DOWNER
🥺 We like good, interesting stories. Not facts.
WE ARE…..wait a minute, where did this chant originate? Fair, please don’t
🤫

Reactions: fairgambit

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
THANK YOU MUCH…DEBBI DOWNER
🥺We like good, interesting stories. Not facts.
WE ARE…..wait a minute, where did this chant originate? Fair, please don’t
🤫
Damn right Step, who needs facts or truth in reporting. I think it’s Joe and that’s good enough for me. If you don’t like it I’ll meet you in Champs parking lot. If I’m not there just start without me.

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
Watched a BB game many years ago that Al McGuire was announcing. The topic of Joe Paterno came up Al said "Joe was a better Basketball player and that he was a better football player".

Reactions: fairgambit