Way OT: post from the past…

A2nit

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, not going with AustinNit, clearly a classic, but was doing dishes tonight, loading the dishwasher and for some reason a post probably a decade ago jumped in my mind. Some poster’s Grandma suggested leaving food on the plates that would help clean the plates better? I regularly choose not to, but had a second thought tonight. Anyone else take this advice?

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Yeah, not going with AustinNit, clearly a classic, but was doing dishes tonight, loading the dishwasher and for some reason a post probably a decade ago jumped in my mind. Some poster’s Grandma suggested leaving food on the plates that would help clean the plates better? I regularly choose not to, but had a second thought tonight. Anyone else take this advice?
Full hotdogs get thrown down the hallway . . .

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah the discussion was all about putting dirty dishes into the dishwasher dirty VS washing/rinsing dishes first then loading them into the dishwasher.

As I recall it was about a 50/50 split.

Personally I just have Fonzie lick dishes clean and put them back in the cabinet until they are next needed (HAHA).

Truth be told, I do wash and rinse first then load them into the dishwasher.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Chicken or egg. They say leaving food on the plate gives the detergent something to stick to and work better. But if the food is cleaned off of the plate do you need detergent to do it’s job?

For the record, I rinse the bulk of the food off of the plate. Have had to clean the dishwasher filter much much less

Waaaaaaaany

Oct 13, 2021
Yeah the discussion was all about putting dirty dishes into the dishwasher dirty VS washing/rinsing dishes first then loading them into the dishwasher.

As I recall it was about a 50/50 split.

Personally I just have Fonzie lick dishes clean and put them back in the cabinet until they are next needed (HAHA).

Truth be told, I do wash and rinse first then load them into the dishwasher.
Wasn't there someone who was a dishwasher designer who said to leave food on, as the detergents were made to attack the food and if it wasn't there, it would go for the dishwasher parts?

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
Consumer Reports, when it tests and rates dishwashers and detergents, recommends that dishes be left soiled.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
Just installed a new Bosch dishwasher and the instructions say if you’re gonna run the dishwasher right away you can leave them dirty. If you’re not gonna run it for a day or 2 rinse the food off. We don’t have enough dishes to run it every night so we rinse them off.

wile e coyote

Aug 1, 2021
Just installed a new Bosch dishwasher and the instructions say if you’re gonna run the dishwasher right away you can leave them dirty. If you’re not gonna run it for a day or 2 rinse the food off. We don’t have enough dishes to run it every night so we rinse them off.
Normal people would abide. Thank you Sir. Im on a few boards, this is the weirdest, dumbass thread I’ve seen. Love it!

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

this is basically the answer.

As others have mentioned, there are a lot of instructions given that while it may seem counter intuitive, it's better to leave some food on a dishes when placing them in the dishwasher. The dishwasher detergent works better if there is food to engage on the items in the dishwasher.

However, if you don't use a lot of dishes, and thus don't run the dishwasher until 2/3/4 days after the dirty items go in it, the dirty food dries on to the dishes, and no matter how elite the dishwasher is, that dried food does not always get removed by a dishwasher.

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
this is basically the answer.

As others have mentioned, there are a lot of instructions given that while it may seem counter intuitive, it's better to leave some food on a dishes when placing them in the dishwasher. The dishwasher detergent works better if there is food to engage on the items in the dishwasher.

However, if you don't use a lot of dishes, and thus don't run the dishwasher until 2/3/4 days after the dirty items go in it, the dirty food dries on to the dishes, and no matter how elite the dishwasher is, that dried food does not always get removed by a dishwasher.

That’s why Fonzie licks the dishes going INTO the dishwasher then also licks the dishes coming OUT of the dishwasher! 😉

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
My dishwasher took a crap and died last week. Do I spend $300 to fix what broke and hopefully it works a few years longer or spend double+ for a new one when they don't even last as long now?

Either way money down the crapper that could have been used for something cool.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
My dishwasher took a crap and died last week. Do I spend $300 to fix what broke and hopefully it works a few years longer or spend double+ for a new one when they don't even last as long now?

It's now called "planned obsolescence" where the manufacturer makes the product to last x amount of years. And, then they can sell the consumer a new product.

Reactions: Bison13

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021

Depending on what brand you want, you may be waiting a while. I ordered 4 Bosch appliances last September and it took 9 months to get the dishwasher. Finally
Got the last appliance a few weeks ago.

• Wow
Reactions: ODShowtime