What did Iowa coach Tom Brands have to say about Penn State and Cael Sanderson before Lions-Hawkeyes match?

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Wondering if the Hawkeye loss will cause them to wrestle more aggressively against Penn State. If so, I think that is to the Lions' benefit, as they tend to take advantage of opponents who try to engage rather than rope-a-dope for three periods, in hopes of "winning" by a 3-2 margin.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I have watched my share of Tom Brands interviews over the years and this year he seems different. He seems more reserved and searches for more coach speak than anything else. In the past I found the fact that he is very candid to be refreshing for an interview of a head coach. I think Tom Brands is starting to really feel the pressure of Penn State widening the gap from them every single year. Up until now Cael has gone 4 championships - rebuild year - 4 championships - rinse and repeat. Right now it does not look like they will need that rebuild year. This year will be the third straight NCAA title. We don't lose a lot after this year and our cupboards are stacked with elite talent. Over the last decade teams like Iowa and Ohio State have had an opening every so many years to slide a national title in there while we rebuilt (which both of those programs did) but that is closing fast and I think Tom knows it. This is Iowa's weakest team since Tom took over in my opinion.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
Cael doesn’t alter his plan to appease others. He does it his way and it works. No need to stoop to their level.
Agreed, but, but, Carter at 184, then Gabe ducks, then Carter gets bonus points, this would be legendary

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I have watched my share of Tom Brands interviews over the years and this year he seems different. He seems more reserved and searches for more coach speak than anything else. In the past I found the fact that he is very candid to be refreshing for an interview of a head coach. I think Tom Brands is starting to really feel the pressure of Penn State widening the gap from them every single year. Up until now Cael has gone 4 championships - rebuild year - 4 championships - rinse and repeat. Right now it does not look like they will need that rebuild year. This year will be the third straight NCAA title. We don't lose a lot after this year and our cupboards are stacked with elite talent. Over the last decade teams like Iowa and Ohio State have had an opening every so many years to slide a national title in there while we rebuilt (which both of those programs did) but that is closing fast and I think Tom knows it. This is Iowa's weakest team since Tom took over in my opinion.
I agree. He seems tired. He seems like he doesn’t have a plan. I will admit that while I despise his behavior mat side, I have always enjoyed hearing him interviewed. The BTN special on the Brands Bros was very good and I enjoyed it. He seems mentally defeated in the interview he just gave. With that said, I hope Cael crushes the hopes of every single Iowa fan in Carver. No mercy!

Michnit

Nov 1, 2021
I noted earlier in the year that during one of the early Iowa matches that Tom seemed way more reserved than I have ever seen him. In fact, Greg Pickel mentioned that he hadn't seen the match, but one of his buddies said the same thing. I believe that TB is feeling the pressure, & is trying to act more like Cael. I suspect that the mess that he has gotten himself into with the Ferrari clan has only magnified his situation, & therefore the desire to improve his "salty" image..

Reactions: GregPickel

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I noted earlier in the year that during one of the early Iowa matches that Tom seemed way more reserved than I have ever seen him. In fact, Greg Pickel mentioned that he hadn't seen the match, but one of his buddies said the same thing. I believe that TB is feeling the pressure, & is trying to act more like Cael. I suspect that the mess that he has gotten himself into with the Ferrari clan has only magnified his situation, & therefore the desire to improve his "salty" image..

The fiasco with the Ferrari clan was such a desperation move. I think AJ went to four different high schools and both he and his brother were poison as high school athletes and nothing has changed. He knows it's an all or nothing deal with them and taking on the risk of AJ immediately backfired on him. His Hail Mary ended up in a sack and loss of 20 yards.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Do you think the meet being locked up for us at this point would alter that plan? As in they don't send him out at 184 to save a match? Or possibly even go ahead and send him out at 174 to see?
I see your point, but I would still be surprised if they don't watch him tonight, regardless of the team score when 174 and 184 roll around. It seems like they were strategic with using him earlier in the year to ensure he would have a match available for tonight.

Reactions: Parks22

Jeff-Loz

Oct 31, 2021
TB appeared to have his tail way down between his legs as a result of the Michigan match and the likelihood it will be even lower after match tonight.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
TB appeared to have his tail way down between his legs as a result of the Michigan match and the likelihood it will be even lower after match tonight.
Idk. Iowa is very tough in area. Gotta come with our A+ game. We want to make a statement.

BigBankFrank

May 24, 2022
This match could be much closer than people think. Really depends on if Iowa can bounce back from the debacle in Michigan last week or the culture that the Brand’s brothers brought in has destroyed their program. 125 & 133 will be key as to how this match goes. Davis is a freshman and wrestling in Carver arena the first time can be intimidating. I thought Davis wrestled a little tight vs Kilkery and hung on for the win. At the start of the year, I expected an easy win at 133, but Nagao hasn’t taken the next step from last year. Not sure where his confidence level is right now and has wrestled sloppy on his feet. I expect this to be a close match here that could go either way. If PSU wins the first 2 matches, they roll. If it’s a split or Iowa wins the first 2, things will get interesting.

I know Woods did not look good last week, but Bartlett has never beaten Woods. I’m thinking Woods was either under the weather or has an injury. He’s never looked that bad in his entire college career.

I think Kasak should win at 149, but again, you have a freshman wrestling the first time at Iowa.

Haines looks like he’s starting to round into shape after some close matches earlier in the season.

I expect Mitchell to roll here, but the kid from OSU slowed him do last week.

Carter will major or tech Kennedy

if the match is close, you will see Arnold here vs Bernie.

Brooks majors or Techs Glazier. Kudos to Glazier. Waited his turn and has had a great season. Brooks is just at a different level.

Kerk majors or techs whoever they send out.

PSU could win every match, but I thought OSU last week showed this team isn’t invincible. Maybe they took OSU a little lightly and they come out on fire tonight. And I know the final match score wasn’t close vs OSU, but a lot of individual matches were way closer than anticipated.

It’s amazing how Oklahoma State had such a horrible season last year. Now that the Ferrari family is gone, Oklahoma State has had an impressive season this year. They dominated Mizzo.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
This match could be much closer than people think. Really depends on if Iowa can bounce back from the debacle in Michigan last week or the culture that the Brand’s brothers brought in has destroyed their program. 125 & 133 will be key as to how this match goes. Davis is a freshman and wrestling in Carver arena the first time can be intimidating. I thought Davis wrestled a little tight vs Kilkery and hung on for the win. At the start of the year, I expected an easy win at 133, but Nagao hasn’t taken the next step from last year. Not sure where his confidence level is right now and has wrestled sloppy on his feet. I expect this to be a close match here that could go either way. If PSU wins the first 2 matches, they roll. If it’s a split or Iowa wins the first 2, things will get interesting.

I know Woods did not look good last week, but Bartlett has never beaten Woods. I’m thinking Woods was either under the weather or has an injury. He’s never looked that bad in his entire college career.

I think Kasak should win at 149, but again, you have a freshman wrestling the first time at Iowa.

Haines looks like he’s starting to round into shape after some close matches earlier in the season.

I expect Mitchell to roll here, but the kid from OSU slowed him do last week.

Carter will major or tech Kennedy

if the match is close, you will see Arnold here vs Bernie.

Brooks majors or Techs Glazier. Kudos to Glazier. Waited his turn and has had a great season. Brooks is just at a different level.

Kerk majors or techs whoever they send out.

PSU could win every match, but I thought OSU last week showed this team isn’t invincible. Maybe they took OSU a little lightly and they come out on fire tonight. And I know the final match score wasn’t close vs OSU, but a lot of individual matches were way closer than anticipated.

It’s amazing how Oklahoma State had such a horrible season last year. Now that the Ferrari family is gone, Oklahoma State has had an impressive season this year. They dominated Mizzo.
OSU is more talented top to bottom than Iowa. Ryan recruits better than Brands.

Reactions: WV lion and ElDuce