what does a coach do to get wrestlers to peak in March?

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Obviously, Cael is a master coach-best in the country-and he talked this fall of the long season and needing wrestlers to be best in March-what a perspective for a perennial champion. It is a long season-must be a grind
at times and some wrestlers get banged up along the way. Maintaining weight must be difficult for some. Anyone have ideas how Cael balances wrestlers competing at a high level during the season and being at their best in March, particularly for nationals where PSU has been its best, particularly in the finals? Thanks for any insights.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul

SlowJoe

Oct 21, 2022
This is a great question, and I wish I knew what he was doing.
Not to sound too generic, but I would assume Cael has a 12-month layout for training, mat time, nutrition and recovery, and tweaks are made for the following: years in program/weight class/body type/pain&injury etc.
Whatever the formula actually is, if I were Cael, I would keep this as much of a secret as Colonel Sanders chicken spices.
If Cael continues his run, and passes Gable's 15 titles, when it's time to retire he might as well write a book on the "how to" for training for a NCAA championship. My assumption would be that his book would become "The Bible" for folk style wrestling.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
He just has the guys play dodge ball. Everyone knows Cael can't coach.

In actually I think each year he has 10 slightly different plans. Not one team plan. In some of his interviews you can hear him say things like it depends on the wrestler or each guy is a little different.

Reactions: SRATH

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
There's also another dimension to Cael that often goes unnoticed. Well, at least not as well noticed as his championships. It's how he recruits, and who he recruits, and why he recruits who he recruits. He has the rare ability to take 2nd or 3rd place finishers at States and turn them into national champions. He sees things we mortals can't see in these kids.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Cael has it mastered, but he focuses on March every minute. Get better, learn and try new skills, so and so beat you this way, figure out how to win next time.

Champions learn when they lose. CS puts guys in tough situations in practice so when they are in tough situations in matches, they know what to do.

Might be the best coach ever in any sport

Reactions: Jim from Spicewood

Georgialion

Oct 28, 2021
Obviously, Cael is a master coach-best in the country-and he talked this fall of the long season and needing wrestlers to be best in March-what a perspective for a perennial champion. It is a long season-must be a grind
at times and some wrestlers get banged up along the way. Maintaining weight must be difficult for some. Anyone have ideas how Cael balances wrestlers competing at a high level during the season and being at their best in March, particularly for nationals where PSU has been its best, particularly in the finals? Thanks for any insights.
Just a great coach and staff that constantly works on making each wrestler's better. Not really worried about the scores in January bur rather more focused on eliminating mistakes and improving in point scoring. I enjoy his calmness at the match where he watches every move of the match.

Reactions: SRATH

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I think other than the coaching aspect, it doesn't appear that anyone is sucking a lot of weight. Easier to stay healthy, continue to improve, maintain strength and maintain conditioning that is second to none.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
I think other than the coaching aspect, it doesn't appear that anyone is sucking a lot of weight. Easier to stay healthy, continue to improve, maintain strength and maintain conditioning that is second to none.
I agree with that, especially an advantage for tournaments.

There is that mental edge that Cael instills, his wrestlers are not afraid to lose. For Penn State to have such a fantastic winning % in the semis and finals at Nationals is almost unbelievable.

I followed Penn State from way back, I watched Troy Sunderland wrestle back in high school, he was elite. His senior year he was heavily favored in the finals at Nationals, and he froze up, he even admitted that. Cael has his wrestlers wrestling big matches relaxed. Tensing up, breathing wrong, is a recipe for gassing. I'm impressed with Cael's wrestlers mental superiority.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
watoos-I remember going to PSU-Cornell match at Cornell-right before Cael took over. Outside of 2 wrestlers team was poor-not aggressive, got tired easily. Penn state was not a great team then. Besides attracting top talent Cael has done so much to change the mentality of the wrestlers-they are not satisfied with a win, they want bonus points often make such a difference in the national championship race.

Reactions: Jim from Spicewood

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
All good points here and probably not adding anything new but I wonder how much 60%+~ resistance (versus endless hard ‘live goes’) has an effect. When you are attempting to perfect a move or chain wrestle and realize you are improving your game as well as your in-room opponents’ opportunities to see where this goes or what counters are available I think it allows for creativity and confidence. There’s plenty of talk about proper rest and balance of study time. The guy’s a genius. And I think the whole staff compliments one another. The team den mother who travels, (Bonnie Epstein?), just another example of a total team effort. As Joepa supposedly said, take care of the little things and the big things take care of themselves.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
All good points here and probably not adding anything new but I wonder how much 60%+~ resistance (versus endless hard ‘live goes’) has an effect. When you are attempting to perfect a move or chain wrestle and realize you are improving your game as well as your in-room opponents’ opportunities to see where this goes or what counters are available I think it allows for creativity and confidence. There’s plenty of talk about proper rest and balance of study time. The guy’s a genius. And I think the whole staff compliments one another. The team den mother who travels, (Bonnie Epstein?), just another example of a total team effort. As Joepa supposedly said, take care of the little things and the big things take care of themselves.
My dad played fast pitch softball 80 years ago, they called him the homerun king of DuBois, Pa. He told me the exact same thing, take care of the little things and the big things take care of themselves.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
It’s pretty simple. Every year is the same. He has a 12 month plan for each wrestler that culminates in March. Every month is meticulously mapped out for each wrestler so they know what they have to do and what they need to work on. Duals and early season tournaments simply allow each wrestler the platform to apply, test and adjust. Physically they are at their best in March. Happens every Year but the most important ingredient is the wrestlers buy in and work the plan. Without that it doesn’t work. In Cael they trust.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
It’s pretty simple. Every year is the same. He has a 12 month plan for each wrestler that culminates in March. Every month is meticulously mapped out for each wrestler so they know what they have to do and what they need to work on. Duals and early season tournaments simply allow each wrestler the platform to apply, test and adjust. Physically they are at their best in March. Happens every Year but the most important ingredient is the wrestlers buy in and work the plan. Without that it doesn’t work. In Cael they trust.
Very key point right here. Plus, the 12 month plan looks beyond just winning nationals for some of these guys.