What is it with this team and this coaching staff?

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Lost to Iowa by 3 after leading 17-3
Lost to lowly Illinois by 2 after leading 10-0
Lost to Michigan by 4 after leading late by 3
Lost to MSU by 3 after leading by 3 with 5 minutes to play

You can blame Clifford's injury, the weather, or whatever you want but this has been happening ever since Franklin took over. Blown late leads vs OSU, USC, MSU, and several others. Last year we lost 5 straight games in spite of out gaining our opponents in most of them. Good opponents keep coming up with the big play and PSU does not. It's really difficult to be a PSU fan these days. What should we expect going forward?

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021

You can blame Clifford's injury, the weather, or whatever you want but this has been happening ever since Franklin took over. Blown late leads vs OSU, USC, MSU, and several others. Last year we lost 5 straight games in spite of out gaining our opponents in most of them. Good opponents keep coming up with the big play and PSU does not. It's really difficult to be a PSU fan these days. What should we expect going forward?
This team is not designed to hold onto leads. We don't have good line play in order to run and control the ball. We score on explosive plays. So when our opponent stops our explosive plays all the pressure shifts to our defense to win the game for us.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

It is really quite simple. Penn State football under a Franklin has become S-O-F-T.

After 8 years, the jury is in…,

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I just think a lot of it boils down to average to bad QB play and an uncannily bad offensive line/RB group.
They don’t make explosive plays because they don’t block and the backs/QB aren’t explosive players.
Losing these close games isn't just a this year thing. Our OL always seems to struggle yet a couple wind up on NFL rosters each year. Will Fries got drafted. Menet got drafted. Menet got drafted. Bates, McGovern, and Smith.

I have a difficult time blaming the QB today of last week vs Michigan. I blame Franklin for playing him vs Illinois. Today Clifford completed 68% of his passes for 313 yards, 3 TD and 0 INT.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
It's a consistent theme... losing winnable games. And they lose them in so many different ways.
True. The defense was good this year even after losing Mustipher. Today they were asleep on the first two series. Then they gave up at least 5 3rd and very long conversions. Last week we were leading Michigan with 5 minutes to go and the coverage completely broke down to give Michigan a huge TD and the win. Was the problem that we don't have good players in the secondary?

It's always something at key moments. Blown coverage, penalty, questionable play call, dropping a game clinching interception. It's uncanny.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
It is really quite simple. Penn State football under a Franklin has become S-O-F-T.

After 8 years, the jury is in…,
This is very true. When you pull up games from the 90s on YouTube it’s very obvious the lack of intensity, talent and fundamentals with recent teams.

Franklin’s teams are NEVER ready to play from opening kickoff until final whistle. They routinely take long periods of time off (often whole quarters). They make the same errors over and over.

The team is simply not prepared to play each Saturday.

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
Well, I am going to beat my TOP drum again for the billionth time. MSU: 36.5 minutes, PSU: 23.5 minutes. You wonder why the defense collapses in the 4th quarter, "Randy VanWarmer time," "just when you needed them most." That's why. The D is tired, they're worn out. Mind that this has been happening all season.

The TOP problem is caused by the lack of a running game, AKA ball control. Instead the team focuses on "chunk plays," highlight reel stuff. What wins games for you is the 7-minute drives that just punish the opposition - wearing them down. Oh, yes, I know that's "old fashioned football" - but it works.

I don't care how good your offense is, how in the heck do you expect to score more points than the other team when the opposition holds the ball for over 60 percent of the game?

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
True. The defense was good this year even after losing Mustipher. Today they were asleep on the first two series. Then they gave up at least 5 3rd and very long conversions. Last week we were leading Michigan with 5 minutes to go and the coverage completely broke down to give Michigan a huge TD and the win. Was the problem that we don't have good players in the secondary?

It's always something at key moments. Blown coverage, penalty, questionable play call, dropping a game clinching interception. It's uncanny.
The BOT threw money at the problem.

Keezer

Oct 26, 2021
What evidence exists that the administration really cares if the record is better that 7-5?

Oct 13, 2021
Well, I am going to beat my TOP drum again for the billionth time. MSU: 36.5 minutes, PSU: 23.5 minutes. You wonder why the defense collapses in the 4th quarter, "Randy VanWarmer time," "just when you needed them most." That's why. The D is tired, they're worn out. Mind that this has been happening all season.

The TOP problem is caused by the lack of a running game, AKA ball control. Instead the team focuses on "chunk plays," highlight reel stuff. What wins games for you is the 7-minute drives that just punish the opposition - wearing them down. Oh, yes, I know that's "old fashioned football" - but it works.

I don't care how good your offense is, how in the heck do you expect to score more points than the other team when the opposition holds the ball for over 60 percent of the game?

You don't know Jack **** about football.

It's all about explosive plays. Explosive pass plays. Explosive run plays. Explosive defensive plays. Explosive special teams teams plays....

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.... Explosive plays. LOL... Reminds me of ball bearings...

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
This is certainly true. But today the defense collapsed in the 1st quarter.

Reactions: 84lion

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Losing these close games isn't just a this year thing. Our OL always seems to struggle yet a couple wind up on NFL rosters each year. Will Fries got drafted. Menet got drafted. Menet got drafted. Bates, McGovern, and Smith.

I have a difficult time blaming the QB today of last week vs Michigan. I blame Franklin for playing him vs Illinois. Today Clifford completed 68% of his passes for 313 yards, 3 TD and 0 INT.
Let’s take a step back, even though I agree with you for the most part on some of your post.
A lot of teams lose close games, in fact among the top 8-10 teams, I venture to say there are very few just absolute blowouts. These are close games all year this year, won a few, lost a few. Would you rather lose to Ohio State the way we did or the way Sparty did? Just because you’re in close games that doesn’t mean you win all of them. You’d hope to win more than we did this year but some of this is simple mean reversion. Won 2 tight ones in IC in 17 and 19. Won a close one with Michigan in 18 and 20. We were bound to lose some tight games eventually. That there are tight losses isn’t surprising. But that isn’t an end-all explanation. This year’s team is particularly bad in certain areas.

The fact that guys get drafted is nice but have you ever looked and seen how many, and how high, guys are drafted from Iowa, Wiscy, OSU? That Will Fries gets drafted in the 37th round, all the guys they listed (though McGovern turned out well), and this is seen as some evidence that they’ve been talented there, shows just how bad they’ve been up front. They’ve been bad up front for years, and this has just hopefully been the nadir of the process. Truly, truly bad all year long.
The skill positions just aren’t good outside WR and TE this year. They just aren’t. The backs don’t make people miss, they don’t hit holes, and they certainly don’t help a poor line (and to be fair, the line doesn’t help them). The QB, I’ll just say that for a guy who throws around Elite, and in an era of essentially unfettered free agency, JF has settled for average to bad QB play 3 years.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
What evidence exists that the administration really cares if the record is better that 7-5?
They care. They might make bad decisions but they rely heavily on football revenue. That's why they are spending more money on coaches and facilities.

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
I have questions about the current coaching staff, but our schedule courtesy of the Big 10 is terrible. It seems like we have the toughest schedule and will for the foreseeable future. Even if the staff can correct the current problems, the Big’s schedule will cause losses. Barbour said the school is committed to the football program. Has the admin given any indication that they see the problem and intend to do something about it?

ManassasPSU

Oct 12, 2021
My take
Let’s look at our losses this year yes they were close games however..

1 -Iowa- staff did not have the backup QB ready to play. Lack of player development.
2 - Illinois- clifford should have never played. Backup QB did not have trust of coaching staff. Lack of imagination in OT lack of player development at the QB position
3 Ohio State - I will give Ohio State credit. They have a better roster. HoweverFranklin is paid to recruit against the big boys.
4- Michigan. Failure to score a touch down after recovering fumble in 4th quarter. Terrible breakdown on D on Michigans last touch down
5 Michigan State. Fall behind quickly. Staff does not have team ready to play. Running the ball on crucial drives in fourth quarter with no first down success. In the meantime Dotson was having a career game. Horrible tackling again.

The coaching staff has a big hand in all of the losses. Above average coaches and staff find a way to win all of these games.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
A lot of teams lose close games, in fact among the top 8-10 teams, I venture to say there are very few just absolute blowouts. These are close games all year this year, won a few, lost a few. Would you rather lose to Ohio State the way we did or the way Sparty did? Just because you’re in close games that doesn’t mean you win all of them. You’d hope to win more than we did this year but some of this is simple mean reversion.
It's not just winning some and losing some

Average margin of victory in 7 wins was 19 pts
Average margin of loss in 5 losses was 4 pts

Take out Villanova and Bowling Green and the average margin of victory was still 17 pts.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I missed most of the game due to family being in town. Typically I would find a way to still get to catch the game but when I saw the weather I said out loud that Penn State is not winning in this type of environment. Sadly, I have no expectation of Penn State winning under trying circumstances anymore.

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017

I think the torch has been passed from Harbaugh to Franklin in terms of underperforming coaches. It took Harbaugh replacing his defensive coordinator and Gattis adjusting the offensive identity to get all the pieces in place.
If you ask me, the offense lacks an identity. I don't think you can call "explosive plays" an identity. It's a boom or bust offense and, while dangerous, is incredibly inconsistent. Exacerbated by numerous coaching changes.
Can Franklin establish an offensive identity?

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
This is certainly true. But today the defense collapsed in the 1st quarter.
The D came out and played poorly for two drives. They were not helped by the offense which had a 3 and out on their first series. After that, the offense got the TD drive and the D adjusted, and played pretty well until the INT and fumble in the 4th quarter put them in a bad spot. Had the offense held up their end of the bargain for 4 quarters, the D might have been able to keep MSU in check. It's hard to blame the D when they're out there so long.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
I'm assuming Brent Pry call the entire Defense, but who says get Joey out of there?

On offense how much is called by Yurcich and where does JF get involved. Does MY say let's see if Christian can get them off balance or this is all Sean's?

ManassasPSU

Oct 12, 2021
I think the torch has been passed from Harbaugh to Franklin in terms of underperforming coaches. It took Harbaugh replacing his defensive coordinator and Gattis adjusting the offensive identity to get all the pieces in place.
If you ask me, the offense lacks an identity. I don't think you can call "explosive plays" an identity. It's a boom or bust offense and, while dangerous, is incredibly inconsistent. Exacerbated by numerous coaching changes.
Once we get the facilities upgrade,that is what is holding us back. lol

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Will Fries gets drafted in the 37th round, all the guys they listed (though McGovern turned out well), and this is seen as some evidence that they’ve been talented there, shows just how bad they’ve been up front. They’ve been bad up front for years, and this has just hopefully been the nadir of the process. Truly, truly bad all year long.
The skill positions just aren’t good outside WR and TE this year. They just aren’t. The backs don’t make people miss, they don’t hit holes, and they certainly don’t help a poor line (and to be fair, the line doesn’t help them). The QB, I’ll just say that for a guy who throws around Elite, and in an era of essentially unfettered free agency, JF has settled for average to bad QB play 3 years.
Fries was drafted in the 7th round.

I think Lee is a good RB but he's more of a bruiser than a speed back. Hopefully Singleton makes a good complement with speed.

Ford was the 3rd overall ranked RB. Cain was 6th. Slade was 1st APB. Lovett did well before transferring to PSU.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
You're not wrong. I think Cliff looks for the bomb way too often and for too long, where Christian clicks with quicker decisions.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
It's not just winning some and losing some

Average margin of victory in 7 wins was 19 pts
Average margin of loss in 5 losses was 4 pts

Take out Villanova and Bowling Green and the average margin of victory was still 17 pts.
Agree.

from 16-19 they were 13-8 in one score games. You’re telling me the numbers are balancing out a bit?

But again those things come and go if you’re constantly showing up with massive holes on the roster and, I’m sorry, it’s not good enough to have the QB play for 3 years we’ve had. Just not good enough.

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Fries was drafted in the 7th round.

I think Lee is a good RB but he's more of a bruiser than a speed back. Hopefully Singleton makes a good complement with speed.

Ford was the 3rd overall ranked RB. Cain was 6th. Slade was 1st APB. Lovett did well before transferring to PSU.
The lack of development is staggering. No one is worried (or should be) about what these guys have done before coming to campus. They should be very concerned about what they’ve done when they got here.
And once again, the line hasn’t been good enough. But I don’t think the backs do them any favors. Sometimes I wonder if any play with any urgency at all. The only one I’ve ever seen really one cut then get north/south consistently is Holmes, and he’s been in the doghouse for some reason.

Reactions: 84lion and bdgan

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
The lack of development is staggering. No one is worried (or should be) about what these guys have done before coming to campus. They should be very concerned about what they’ve done when they got here.
And once again, the line hasn’t been good enough. But I don’t think the backs do them any favors. Sometimes I wonder if any play with any urgency at all. The only one I’ve ever seen really one cut then get north/south consistently is Holmes, and he’s been in the doghouse for some reason.
I don't understand why we don't have a FB on short yardage situations. People say the game has changed but I don't completely buy that argument. Illinois and Iowa ran the ball down our throat by loading up at the LOS. What happened to taking the snap from under center? Warren on a direct snap? A TE or lineman pushing from behind?

Latest posts