What is the "value" -- in points -- of deafening crowd noise?

ChiTownLionPSU

Oct 22, 2021
If home field advantage is generally worth 3 points, what is the value of deafening crowd noise?

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Pretty much "0", but it makes attending the games more fun for a lot of folks.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
An opponent's timeout before the first snap of the game. 😉
Kelly Reilly Nod GIF by Yellowstone

Reactions: PSUJam

ChiTownLionPSU

Oct 22, 2021
Pretty much "0", but it makes attending the games more fun for a lot of folks.
Well, if that were true, then offenses would always operate on a silent count so they are better prepared for deafening crowd noise. Or so one might think.

Reactions: NB4PSU

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
It’s not irrelevant, but it’s certainly less than most in the public would think (much like injuries)…I’d quantify it somewhere around a point or two in extreme cases.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
I thought home field advantage was generally thought to be 6-7 points in college and 3 points in the NFL.

Reactions: dcf4psu

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I thought home field advantage was generally thought to be 6-7 points in college and 3 points in the NFL.
It’s worth slightly more in college, but not that much…more like 2.5 in NFL and 3 in college, as a rough guide. But only part of that is due to crowd noise, as you’re also dealing with travel, unfamiliar facilities and routines, etc.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I wonder if auburn is louder than Bama. Bama for 100k plus was very quiet

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I’d say that the fact that Penn State has to get on a bus for an hour to go from their hotel to the stadium will have a bigger effect than the crowd noise.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021

Yeah, not even close to 6-7 points for college and not 3 points for the NFL anymore. I would go as high as about 5 for a PSU white out and a night game at LSU. I would say that the crowd noise factors into these a bit. Some college teams are more like 1 to 1.5. There are people that have actually crunched these numbers.

If you ever follow Chris Andrews (oddsmaker at the South Point, Pittsburgh native, and partial to PSU) he hardly gives any HFA to NFL anymore. In some cases (L.A.) he gives 0.

@Erial_Lion don't you give 10 points for the ref factor in PSU games ;)

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Not sure of an actual number, but I thought it made a difference in last night’s MNF game, which turned out to be a 1 point win for the home team.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure of an actual number, but I thought it made a difference in last night’s MNF game, which turned out to be a 1 point win for the home team.

Broncos not kicking FGs hurt them more than the travel and crowd. Unless you think the crowd noise affected the coaching staffs mind.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Broncos not kicking FGs hurt them more than the travel and crowd. Unless you think the crowd noise affected the coaching staffs mind.
I’d say going for it on 4th was certainly the right call…the other fumble was on 3rd down, and I don’t think there was another spot where they kicked a FG (but certainly one where they could have passed on one at the end to go for it).

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
I’d say going for it on 4th was certainly the right call…the other fumble was on 3rd down, and I don’t think there was another spot where they kicked a FG (but certainly one where they could have passed on one at the end to go for it).

I can usually support road teams being aggressive, but the Seahawks are expected to be playing for the #1 pick in next year's draft. Once the Broncos adjusted they didn't give up anything to the Seahawks. The one FG puts em up by 2 instead of down 1.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I can usually support road teams being aggressive, but the Seahawks are expected to be playing for the #1 pick in next year's draft. Once the Broncos adjusted they didn't give up anything to the Seahawks. The one FG puts em up by 2 instead of down 1.
Results based thinking…expectations will always be better to go for it from the 1 than kick a FG

NB4PSU

Oct 30, 2021
I
It’s not irrelevant, but it’s certainly less than most in the public would think (much like injuries)…I’d quantify it somewhere around a point or two in extreme cases.
dunno... I watched bama get bfd by crowd noise BIG TIME... but what do i know? lmao

NB4PSU

Oct 30, 2021
I talk with my mom who has hearing issues and now has a working hearing aid. Great. Her roomate in LTC has her TV blaring in the background. I dunno... but Mom can't much hear me (although her aid works just fine... maybe too well) and speaking with her is a fing nightmare.. trying to talk over the TV noise is killer. So imo, most people will struggle with noise. And yeah... imo... it does interfere with how one thinks.

So to all of you at the game... yell your *** off while the other team is trying to figure out what to do... but PLEASE shut TFUP when we have to do the same.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
3 points. (In other words, 0 additional points.)

It’s the same 3 points as home field advantage. Favorable raucous crowd noise is a part of home field advantage.

PS Good luck against the Tigers this weekend. I got PSU -3 for 750, so it’s very important that you win. 😉

Reactions: NB4PSU and LionJim