What is wrong with Trautwein

Ironlions23

Nov 1, 2021
Everyone of these guys playing are inherited and were brought in to play a totally different system. Let’s sit back and let him coach the kids he brings in. Part of the problem here is there is no stability in coaching or system on offense. Let’s let these guys develop their own recruits and let’s also let the kids get comfortable in a system.

jmorovich

Oct 28, 2021
Everyone of these guys playing are inherited and were brought in to play a totally different system. Let’s sit back and let him coach the kids he brings in. Part of the problem here is there is no stability in coaching or system on offense. Let’s let these guys develop their own recruits and let’s also let the kids get comfortable in a system.
So if that’s the case with the normal slower development of Oline men we are looking at a good offensive line in 3 years? A good coach takes what he’s given and molds it and makes it work. This Oline has gotten worse as the year has gone along. That’s a sign of coaching issues. They forgot to block Hutchinson and Ojabo on multiple plays. That’s coaching.

Pride

Oct 12, 2021
Agree. Give Trout a few years….then give him a raise or fire hm

Ironlions23

Nov 1, 2021
Next I want to point out size of our current 2 deep recruited here vs recruits / commitments in 2020/2021 under Trautwein….

Current players and their high school weights, names not important. Just looking at the type of player the former regime recruited and the current offensive team inherited vs what the current regime is recruiting..

6’6 290
6’3 290
6’3 270
6’5 310
6’5 275
This group looks lean, long and athletic to the eye.

These are recruits under Trautwein. Guys who are true freshman now or commited.

6’6 300
6’4 320
6’5 295
6’6 310
6’6 320
6’6 340
6’5 280 and 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟(Junior high school)

Ironlions23

Nov 1, 2021
I don’t want to come off being happy about the offense. I certainly am very disappointed. However part of the problem is the firings and moving on every time something has been off. There is no consistency on the offensive staff, coaching or system of offense they are running. 4 coordinators in 5 years. Clifford has had a new coordinator each year. 3 offensive line coaches. If they don’t stick with these coaches and let them develop the players they recruited, it isn’t gonna change. If they don’t let these players learn in an offensive system for multiple years, nothing is gonna change.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I don’t want to come off being happy about the offense. I certainly am very disappointed. However part of the problem is the firings and moving on every time something has been off. There is no consistency on the offensive staff, coaching or system of offense they are running. 4 coordinators in 5 years. Clifford has had a new coordinator each year. 3 offensive line coaches. If they don’t stick with these coaches and let them develop the players they recruited, it isn’t gonna change. If they don’t let these players learn in an offensive system for multiple years, nothing is gonna change.
Sounds like the Browns. 😉

Reactions: Piketownman

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
I appreciate your opinion and where you're coming from here, but I just don't buy it. I've said in a few other threads that these kids are highly regarded coming out of high school, with a list of offers from other schools, including big ten rivals. Why does our OL always suck, when we have essentially the same talent as every other school?

I honestly don't blame Trautwein - I blame the system. I hate this offense and always have. I'm still convinced, despite the good careers Barkley and Sanders had, that we wasted their time here with this stupid RPO scheme where offensive lineman don't know who/how to block on run plays. But I don't think it's a radically different system as when these guys were recruited. Same RPO BS as Morehead, Rahne, Cirocca and now MY. Common denominator is CJF.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Lol funniest s. I’ve heard. Totally irrelevant

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Next I want to point out size of our current 2 deep recruited here vs recruits / commitments in 2020/2021 under Trautwein….

Current players and their high school weights, names not important. Just looking at the type of player the former regime recruited and the current offensive team inherited vs what the current regime is recruiting..

6’6 290
6’3 290
6’3 270
6’5 310
6’5 275
This group looks lean, long and athletic to the eye.

These are recruits under Trautwein. Guys who are true freshman now or commited.

6’6 300
6’4 320
6’5 295
6’6 310
6’6 320
6’6 340
6’5 280 and 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟(Junior high school)

this is a good observation. the historical tendency was not for size - ala some other BIG teams. athletic over size has been the mantra to match the style of the RPO we played. that takes a few recruiting cycles to fiix.

I wonder if our strength program (which has been fantastic over the years under Gault) somehow got screwed up in the last two years. everyone had COVID to deal with, but did we somehow handle it differently. I look at Noah Cain and he looks so weak compared to the FR in 2019.

Do we lack OT depth? did we recruit a team of all guards. I believe there is a pay difference between OG and OT in the NFL. OT is hard to recruit and develop.

If there is a failure it is dealing with what we have now in the games. This of course depends on the overall offense.

I would like NOT to fire anyone after this season = we need some stability. We must have one of the more unstable staffs in the BIG during JF tenure.

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Do whatever Wisc. has been doing for the last decade or more. Alvarez gave us the solution sometime over the last two wekeks.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Do whatever Wisc. has been doing for the last decade or more. Alvarez gave us the solution sometime over the last two wekeks.

They opened with us. Then had ND and Michigan in week 3 and 4.

The solution: schedule got easier. They didn't otherwise do anything else.

Reactions: Shadow99 and bbrown

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
I agree with the sentiment of your post.

But I believe that now is NOT the time to SIT BACK. It is time to make changes and replace the players that are not getting the job done. And anyone that has watched the 10 games that PSU has played this season knows exactly who the players that are not getting the job done on the oline. The OT's have been weak in pass protection against talented DE's this whole season.

PSU needs 2 new OT's, and if Trautwein was allowed to put Fashanu and Tengwall on the field I believe he would do it. I believe it falls right on Fanklin's unwarranted attachment to his upper classmen OT's. Franklin's job is supposed to be about winning games, and developing his roster to win games in the future if he can't win them now. Not about protecting Walker's draft status.

Last edited:
Reactions: NEPA Lion

OB Lion

Oct 19, 2021
Lame excuse.

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
3 OC’s in 3 seasons each with a different approach to line blocking. I would have expected improvement during the season but it’s not happening so far. I guess we’ll see next season if there is improvement.

Reactions: bbrown

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I appreciate your opinion and where you're coming from here, but I just don't buy it. I've said in a few other threads that these kids are highly regarded coming out of high school, with a list of offers from other schools, including big ten rivals. Why does our OL always suck, when we have essentially the same talent as every other school?

I honestly don't blame Trautwein - I blame the system. I hate this offense and always have. I'm still convinced, despite the good careers Barkley and Sanders had, that we wasted their time here with this stupid RPO scheme where offensive lineman don't know who/how to block on run plays. But I don't think it's a radically different system as when these guys were recruited. Same RPO BS as Morehead, Rahne, Cirocca and now MY. Common denominator is CJF.
How many times did PSU run an RPO against Michigan. Twice?

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Posted with all credit to Lion_NYC

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Psu00 and Shadow99

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
3 OC’s in 3 seasons each with a different approach to line blocking. I would have expected improvement during the season but it’s not happening so far. I guess we’ll see next season if there is improvement.
Isn’t this Traut’s second season? I generally agree with the continuity issue, but the offensive line should be playing better than this. Go back and watch Walker’s “performance” on the first two plays of the game. Absolutely pathetic.

Texas Lion

Oct 29, 2021
They recruit potential due to size, not potential due to actually being able to block. That's why you don't see a Fashanu or Christ even getting a chance, great size but they can't block. And don't give me they are young.......so are other players that you see actually playing in the nation.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
This is where I'm at as well. I hate having to wait 2 more years but with the OL coach I think we have too. But his seat will be very, very hot next season. Along with Howle, Seider, Franklin and MY to get this running game fixed.

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
Been following CFB a long time as most of you, and certain observations are noticeable. Midwestern O-Linemen stick out on a consistent basis.
I know the O-Line is the toughest to develop in terms of position so that said. It seems, again (seems !) that the Atlantic Coast has fallen short in this department , yes in the past BC, UCF, South Florida, Pitt, etc. had good, big linemen then the coaches move on or upgrade, the present staffs hang on to the tradition of success even if not warranted by the present staff.

There was a time when USC with Ron Yary and Anthony Munoz were the gold standard , now SC is also having their issues but still ahead of PSU. ND has developed a few good linemen recently along with Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Michigan schools. Heck even Illinois and Minnesota look pretty good. Pa. has not lacked for talent but lost such talent even under Joe, Ruddy, and Scannel to ND , Rucci to Wisconsin, Skrepnak to Michigan so it isn't something new. I can't bring OSU , Ga. and Alabama into the picture because they are cherry picking.

Getting to the point it's not all Trout's fault, some of these kids don't have the fire and toughness, as in the past. An example was a reporter asked CJF about the linemen retaliating against Iowa after Clifford was getting mauled , he said something to the effect like you want me to take a personal foul ?
Ron Heller would have sent that lineman to a stretcher, Trey Bauer would have KO'd their punter. So some nastiness is taken away from them, more concerned about penalty mistakes than making a statement.

Finally, i think a lot of kids are burnt out especially the Prep schools, they've been doing this for way, way too long. The rural kids or farm kids are working hard and want the scholarship just as much but aren't noticed as much, but the work ethic more so than the national recognition is there. My main point is maybe we should offer more scholarships, or at least scout the midwest.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
Isn’t this Traut’s second season? I generally agree with the continuity issue, but the offensive line should be playing better than this. Go back and watch Walker’s “performance” on the first two plays of the game. Absolutely pathetic.
Yes but his first under MY, whose system is different than KC.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Yes but his first under MY, whose system is different than KC.
I get that, but the OL should be better than how they are playing with even with a new OC. Blocking is still blocking regardless of the system.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Its the scheme and missed assignments by the TE and backs. Check this video out I happened to find. Its the schemes.

Reactions: danomat

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Posted with all credit to Lion_NYC
I don’t know what’s worse- the 3 who fell to the ground without even being so much as a speed bump to the defenders or 53 just standing there watching his QB get crushed.

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
How many times did PSU run an RPO against Michigan. Twice?
Yea that's true. RPO may not be the correct term. RPO isn't all created equal ... I was a quarterback in the mid 2000's for my high school team. Not trying to re-live the glory days LOL but we ran an RPO offense ... but almost NEVER out of the shotgun ... always under center. I think my problem is more with running every dang play from the shotgun and not so much the RPO. There's a time and place for the shotgun and I know in today's football it's almost exclusive. But there's also a time and place for the QB getting under center and power running the football, which we never do.

Reactions: Kevin310

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Yea that's true. RPO may not be the correct term. RPO isn't all created equal ... I was a quarterback in the mid 2000's for my high school team. Not trying to re-live the glory days LOL but we ran an RPO offense ... but almost NEVER out of the shotgun ... always under center. I think my problem is more with running every dang play from the shotgun and not so much the RPO. There's a time and place for the shotgun and I know in today's football it's almost exclusive. But there's also a time and place for the QB getting under center and power running the football, which we never do.
Somebody on the right track right here
It ain’t that hard. I guarantee you had a go to run in HS. What’s PSU go to run??

PSUForever

Nov 6, 2021
I think Trautwein is canned at the end of the year. Think about it, Franklin won't be but he always makes changes and this time will probably be told to make changes. What group has been a complete and utter dumpster fire? Along with Trautwein look for the TE coach Howle and possibly Seider all to be canned. At least our fearless leader will ensure Singleton is still in the fold before canning Seider.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021

I think we need more under center passes to open up under center runs.

Right now, we go under center and defense keys run.

Also don't know why we didn't use TEs to chip and release short vs Michigan.

Reactions: FrontierLion

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
I think we need more under center passes to open up under center runs.

Right now, we go under center and defense keys run.

Also don't know why we didn't use TEs to chip and release short vs Michigan.
Could you imagine if we ran a play action pass with the QB starting under center? I feel like it's been a decade since that was done. I'd be so happy I'd throw a party.

Reactions: VaDave4PSU

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t know what’s worse- the 3 who fell to the ground without even being so much as a speed bump to the defenders or 53 just standing there watching his QB get crushed.
Easily Walker just standing there. At least the other guys were trying to do something.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I agree with the sentiment of your post.

But I believe that now is NOT the time to SIT BACK. It is time to make changes and replace the players that are not getting the job done. And anyone that has watched the 10 games that PSU has played this season knows exactly who the players that are not getting the job done on the oline. The OT's have been weak in pass protection against talented DE's this whole season.

PSU needs 2 new OT's, and if Trautwein was allowed to put Fashanu and Tengwall on the field I believe he would do it. I believe it falls right on Fanklin's unwarranted attachment to his upper classmen OT's. Franklin's job is supposed to be about winning games, and developing his roster to win games in the future if he can't win them now. Not about protecting Walker's draft status.
Stop. Just stop. You have no basis to conclude Franklin is loyal to his upper class men. Certainly it couldn’t be that a highly heralded OL coach is not doing the job. Your claim that Franklin is more concerned about player’s draft status than winning games is the most asinine anti-Franklin comment I have seen on this message board and that covers an awful lot of territory. Wow!

Latest posts