What is wrong with Trautwein

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Stop. Just stop. You have no basis to conclude Franklin is loyal to his upper class men. Certainly it couldn’t be that a highly heralded OL coach is not doing the job. Your claim that Franklin is more concerned about player’s draft status than winning games is the most asinine anti-Franklin comment I have seen on this message board and that covers an awful lot of territory. Wow!
ok but who is the highly heralded OL coach?

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Trautwein. You know the guy who had 9 of his 10 offensive lineman make all ACC in the two years he was at BC.
You need to thank the Sports information department for those awards. do you really think sports writers sit around and analyze film of the OL for every team in the league?
its the 2 yrs at Davidson going 3-21 that jumps off the page to me. The guy is in over his head. Probably a good guy, may become a good coach, not there yet.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Been following CFB a long time as most of you, and certain observations are noticeable. Midwestern O-Linemen stick out on a consistent basis.
I know the O-Line is the toughest to develop in terms of position so that said. It seems, again (seems !) that the Atlantic Coast has fallen short in this department , yes in the past BC, UCF, South Florida, Pitt, etc. had good, big linemen then the coaches move on or upgrade, the present staffs hang on to the tradition of success even if not warranted by the present staff.

There was a time when USC with Ron Yary and Anthony Munoz were the gold standard , now SC is also having their issues but still ahead of PSU. ND has developed a few good linemen recently along with Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Michigan schools. Heck even Illinois and Minnesota look pretty good. Pa. has not lacked for talent but lost such talent even under Joe, Ruddy, and Scannel to ND , Rucci to Wisconsin, Skrepnak to Michigan so it isn't something new. I can't bring OSU , Ga. and Alabama into the picture because they are cherry picking.

Getting to the point it's not all Trout's fault, some of these kids don't have the fire and toughness, as in the past. An example was a reporter asked CJF about the linemen retaliating against Iowa after Clifford was getting mauled , he said something to the effect like you want me to take a personal foul ?
Ron Heller would have sent that lineman to a stretcher, Trey Bauer would have KO'd their punter. So some nastiness is taken away from them, more concerned about penalty mistakes than making a statement.

Finally, i think a lot of kids are burnt out especially the Prep schools, they've been doing this for way, way too long. The rural kids or farm kids are working hard and want the scholarship just as much but aren't noticed as much, but the work ethic more so than the national recognition is there. My main point is maybe we should offer more scholarships, or at least scout the midwest.
We need toughness. Period.

danvillenit

Oct 30, 2021
I think Trautwein is canned at the end of the year. Think about it, Franklin won't be but he always makes changes and this time will probably be told to make changes. What group has been a complete and utter dumpster fire? Along with Trautwein look for the TE coach Howle and possibly Seider all to be canned. At least our fearless leader will ensure Singleton is still in the fold before canning Seider.
I doubt Franklin will fire Trautwein after one non Covid year. Same with Howie. Seidel is to good a recruiter. Certainly no one is going to make Franklin fire them

Reactions: Shadow99

danvillenit

Oct 30, 2021
Stop. Just stop. You have no basis to conclude Franklin is loyal to his upper class men. Certainly it couldn’t be that a highly heralded OL coach is not doing the job. Your claim that Franklin is more concerned about player’s draft status than winning games is the most asinine anti-Franklin comment I have seen on this message board and that covers an awful lot of territory. Wow!
I love the posters who assume the guys on the bench are better. They will say it can’t be worse. It most certainly can.

Reactions: Shadow99

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
No, I won't "stop". Opinions vary, and yours is only yours.

You have no basis that the highly heralded OL coach is not developing the highly sought after young recruits now on the roster. Because fans have not seen them.

And the reason fans have not seen them in games is because the head coach continues to play the same players that are not getting the job done. Which the fans have seen.

And yes, Walker who in the recent past has generated draft buzz, has played at a level that fans recognize as highly contributing to the struggles of the offense. And when something isn't working it is reasonable to expect changes in an effort to either turn the ship around this season or get younger players experience so that PSU football can improve in the years to come. Yes, it is asinine to come to Franklin's rescue week after week when he trots the same players out whose poor play has been a major contribution to the sub par play of the offense.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
We got a team full of guards. Staff trying to develop tackles and with SC hurt, it's showing our flaws. Add in poor running game, we are essentially a 1-legged man.

Look at our '22 recruits. 4 tackle prospects. Wonder why?

Almost guarantee we go portal for a tackle unless Tengwall/Fashnu emerge in the spring.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Trautwein told them to forget to block?
its called paralysis by analysis. Maybe he told them too much?? if he does this ,then this, or look here or there etc etc.

watch this,why in the heck is #10 looking at anybody but #25 I have no idea. The C and LG triggered Left so those 2 should have the N and the LBer is he comes. So Why did 10 miss #25? BECAUSE somebody gave him too much to do. they told him to help chip on the DE w the OT (which is actually a PIA for the OT) but then if #25 comes, get him too, which of course he didn't do.

other than that guy Mrs Lincoln there is good protection.

Last edited:

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
In my humble opinion RPO’s add a little wrinkle to an Offensive Lineman’s responsibility. Now factor in the QB looking back at the dam sideline two and three times before the ball is snapped, this can be way too confusing!

It’s the OC’s responsibility to teach the play book and what type of blocking (Gap/Angle/Zone) is to be executed on a particular play. The OL coach teaches fundamentals, technique and toughness. As it relates to offensive linemen, life was much easier running a Pro-Set offense. I say mix it up! Put the QB under Center and let the guys up front get some confidence. JMHO

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
We got a team full of guards. Staff trying to develop tackles and with SC hurt, it's showing our flaws. Add in poor running game, we are essentially a 1-legged man.

Look at our '22 recruits. 4 tackle prospects. Wonder why?

Almost guarantee we go portal for a tackle unless Tengwall/Fashnu emerge in the spring.
IIRC, the four OL recruits are all 3 stars, if you put any stock in that.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
You need to thank the Sports information department for those awards. do you really think sports writers sit around and analyze film of the OL for every team in the league?
its the 2 yrs at Davidson going 3-21 that jumps off the page to me. The guy is in over his head. Probably a good guy, may become a good coach, not there yet.
So how many hours did you spend analyzing all 10 of Trautwein's OL during his 2 years at BC? Geez.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
So how many hours did you spend analyzing all 10 of Trautwein's OL during his 2 years at BC? Geez.
I did not need to. SID's job, thats it hiring coaches based Streets & Smiths is the wrong path to go to . How about those 2 years at that powerhouse Davidson? And there is where the trail begins

heck the guy at Miami of ohio has a much deeper resume than what we hired. The guy is over his head.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I agree. Superlatives for the starting tackles at the beginning ended up being a struggle all year.

Do something with the line. Drop the fancy stuff and get off the ball. The current system is not working.
as much as that , they need to coordinate the OL w the RB better, its been a problem for years. She my Youtube above

Reactions: CoaltownLion1952