What is your level of concern for the UNC game?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm incredibly nervous, mostly because many pundits seem to think we're poised to have a strong year. If expectations were low, it wouldn't bother me nearly so much.

Reactions: Lurker123

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I'm incredibly nervous, mostly because many pundits seem to think we're poised to have a strong year. If expectations were low, it wouldn't bother me nearly so much.
I understand your concern. One advantage at being at my age in life is that the results of these games roll off my shoulder, regardless. Back in the day, a defeat would be a kick in the gut.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I understand your concern. One advantage at being at my age in life is that the results of these games roll off my shoulder, regardless. Back in the day, a defeat would be a kick in the gut.

This is true. A loss used to devastate me. That doesn't happen anymore, but I just really want this game. I won't be at all nervous for the UGA game, since there's zero expectation we can win that one.

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
This is true. A loss used to devastate me. That doesn't happen anymore, but I just really want this game. I won't be at all nervous for the UGA game, since there's zero expectation we can win that one.
All that being said, I do, as you, VERY much want to win this game because it would propel us to a 3rd consecutive better than expected season. If that happens, it will turn recruiting heads. I won't go so far as to call this game a "must win". But, I will call it a "big game" for the program .It won't be easy. We should not fool ourselves about North Carolina. They have talent. Mack Brown has recruited well for them. He always recruits well. Recruiting is his forte.

Jan 24, 2022
On a scale of 1-10? I would put mine at a 7.5. It's a winnable game, but I think it presents a lot of challenges for us and we will have to play very well to win.

We enter the game with so many question marks...Which Rattler will we get? Will Loggains pan out? Will the OL improve at all? Will we be able to run the ball? We're really banking on getting the Rattler from the UT game and 2nd half of the Clemson game and that Loggains is gonna be a good OC. But those are lot of questions to have entering the season.

On defense, we were actually pretty respectable against the pass last year, which is UNC's strong suit, so that'll be interesting to see. UNC was middle of the pack rushing the ball, and run D was a major weakness for us last year. So we kind of match up strengths and weaknesses there.

Looking at their stats from last year, UNC was the epitome of a one-dimensional team. They were top 10 in passing yards/game. Everything else was pretty rough. Pass defense was 111th, rush defense was 92nd and rushing offense was 73. BUT the same is true of us. We were 33rd in passing offense. Pretty bad at everything else.

I guess the one bright spot is that our strongest element...passing offense...matches up with UNC's weakest element...passing defense.
1693497483244.jpeg

MrCockStrong

Feb 2, 2022
Level 1

I read a post here on GC around the time that the reigns were given to The HBC. It said something to the effect that the University pays Steve Spurrier to worry and be concerned. My concern is relegated to interest in seeing the team do well. That's where I stand today. Not "concerned" at all. Always want the team to win and do well.

Reactions: vacock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It has been a good while since I was legit nervous before a season opener.

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
I’ve been a Gamecock fan since the 60’s. My level of concern is always maxed out. If yours isn’t, you must be a newbie.

Reactions: Backyard Archer