What kind of garbage article is this

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sport...cle_e0bb3558-a681-11ed-9960-1f2e67b9a22a.html

"Now, that’s no disrespect to a program that brings in a ton of money for not only Penn State Athletics but the university as a whole, but there's a ton of other deserving teams on campus that could benefit from improved facilities"

Really?? any of them operate in the Black? Until then you dont touch anything football related including moving parking. You want 100k to show up on Saturdays? you better meet the parking demands

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021: Football and men’s basketball operated at profits of $5,437,140 and $1,375,287, respectively, in the 2021 fiscal year. The other 29 Division I programs combined to produce a deficit of just over $30 million.

and you want a new facility for how many home matches? so you can improve on recruiting?? as if Cael hasnt owned recruiting in the last decade or so

Reactions: Sig83

clucas11

Oct 31, 2021
So, you are coming on the wrestling board and saying an article that is promoting PSU wrestling and improved facilities is trash?

A new/improved facility is not just for a handful of home matches and it wouldn't just benefit PSU wrestling. As mentioned in the article, it would possibly be a home for volleyball and gymnastics. It would better serve the NLWC which really has no equal in the country and has attracted world class wrestlers.

The attitude can't be that bc Cael has done it thus far with the facilities he has, he will continue to do so and no improvements are necessary....definitely not a growth mindset.

That program more than any other on campus is deserving of a world class facility and if other programs can benefit from their success, all the better. I am in the camp of give Cael what he wants...he has earned it. Keeping him happy will keep him here long term and the riches will continue to flow. Not doing so puts you in danger of falling behind and getting passed bc everyone else is upping their game to try and catch Penn State. At some point, if you do nothing, you will find yourself getting passed up.

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Man while I appreciate the engagement with us over here in wrestling land, you just couldn’t be more off base.

Rec Hall is a legendary venue with incredible history that continues to host the best sports atmospheres at PSU outside of Football and Hockey.

And it is WOEFULLY outdated and does a disservice to our Wrestling, Volleyball, and Gymnastics programs that consistently produce Olympic level athletes and bring prestige to our athletics program that extremely few schools can match.

I don’t think anyone would argue that football doesn’t need more funds. We all know that. But we also know there are massive facilities concerns across the board at PSU. Heck Jeffrey Field is in a worse place than Rec Hall by a mile. You can argue priority all day, but to say that funds and improvements for those programs aren’t necessary is blatantly wrong.

Reactions: PO60 and PSU87

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sport...cle_e0bb3558-a681-11ed-9960-1f2e67b9a22a.html

"Now, that’s no disrespect to a program that brings in a ton of money for not only Penn State Athletics but the university as a whole, but there's a ton of other deserving teams on campus that could benefit from improved facilities"

Really?? any of them operate in the Black? Until then you dont touch anything football related including moving parking. You want 100k to show up on Saturdays? you better meet the parking demands

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021: Football and men’s basketball operated at profits of $5,437,140 and $1,375,287, respectively, in the 2021 fiscal year. The other 29 Division I programs combined to produce a deficit of just over $30 million.

and you want a new facility for how many home matches? so you can improve on recruiting?? as if Cael hasnt owned recruiting in the last decade or so
Your entire revenue argument falls flat on its moderately insipid face.

If this were a corporation, that would hold true. But the mission of the university is to provide opportunity to the students....academic, cultural, athletic...opportunity.

If we were to apply your logic to academics, I'm seriously doubting Womens Studies brings in anywhere near the research and grant dollars that, say, Electrical Engineering does. Do you mean to say Womens Studies should never get a new building?

If your bar is "operating in the black" you'll shut down 3/4 of the University.

The wrestling, gymnastics and volleyball programs deserve every access to those opportunities that the football team has. They deserve decent facilities.

And we are not talking about taking anything from the football program. We are talking about parking.

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
So, you are coming on the wrestling board and saying an article that is promoting PSU wrestling and improved facilities is trash?

A new/improved facility is not just for a handful of home matches and it wouldn't just benefit PSU wrestling. As mentioned in the article, it would possibly be a home for volleyball and gymnastics. It would better serve the NLWC which really has no equal in the country and has attracted world class wrestlers.

The attitude can't be that bc Cael has done it thus far with the facilities he has, he will continue to do so and no improvements are necessary....definitely not a growth mindset.

That program more than any other on campus is deserving of a world class facility and if other programs can benefit from their success, all the better. I am in the camp of give Cael what he wants...he has earned it. Keeping him happy will keep him here long term and the riches will continue to flow. Not doing so puts you in danger of falling behind and getting passed bc everyone else is upping their game to try and catch Penn State. At some point, if you do nothing, you will find yourself getting passed up.
LOL So which would you rather have, keep paying the man or a new facility? Thanks to the football program by the way.. What if Football decided to say you know what we want to use the money for our own puproses where would any of the programs be becuase we sorely know Beaver Staduim needs it upgrades.

So Secondarily the article's soultion is bogus thats whats trash about it...no one is against upgrading here and there for the program--yes they might be the only one deserving at this point --update their practice facility sure why not --- but to say 'hey lets dip into an area where the football program generates its revenue' especially for location is myopic at best.

Provide a real solution. How about cut some programs like softball or baseball or tennis, the softball field would be a great location for a new venue or even the tennis facility I mean if you are willing to hurt the hand that feeds you then these should be no brainer choices. those sports might have an issue with it though. but you will save a ton of money..after all wrestling is the only game in town right???

Im saying get your funds from elsewhere and the wrestling program is a good place to start. How about raise the ticket prices for starters----show me the math on how much a new facility is going to bring in versus what the BJC brings in--- show me the ROI on it? Really Volleyball and Gymnastics??? whats their growth prospects how about none. Whos going to watch and how much you charging for those programs? Quit looking for outs on a really expensive endevor that not one person has the financials to say it works. Who is going to be your big donor to get naming rights on the building you would think that would have happened by now.

29 of the programs operate in the red and magically 3 programs will be in the black with a new facility??...I know lets raise tuition even more right becuase it aint coming from the athletic budget and Sandys..... er Krafts master plan..

World class faciilty?? Whats that definition a center mat made out of gold ? Who has one?? Iowa?? where they are substandard everywhere else? How about Michigan? their building is almost as old as Rec Hall maybe the Amine's can be donors for them in the " race to get a world class facility" who is actually racing by the way? where is this so called "getting passed bc everyone else is upping their game"

Here is one: Read this with comprehension and if you know anything about Illinois campus--- no basketball or football parking is being consumed--- not that Illinois can fill their Football stadium anyway 10mil of the 14 mil is coming from private donors and 1.3 as part of their version of BJC upgrade I take that to mean athletics is kicking in
So is this going to make Illinois a powerhouse?? they gonna pass us? All of a sudden the PA wrestlers want to go to Illinois?
https://fightingillini.com/news/202...s-for-illinois-wrestling-training-center.aspx

Here is another from a few years ago sounds exactly like the BJC
https://www.northwestern.edu/fm/projects/our_projects/evanston/welsh-ryan-arena-renovation.html

And another again a few years ago but more focused on practice facility (where you get more bang for your buck)than the actual competition venue
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5063782-facility-upgrades-coming-for-division-1-programs

Last time I checked there is one person responsible for the success of the program and when that person leaves, and it will happen one day new facility or not, the program will not be where it was until another comes along and replicates the success. No building will replicate the succes. So spare me the world will end on getting passed.

Cael is the attraction period

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
Your entire revenue argument falls flat on its moderately insipid face.

If this were a corporation, that would hold true. But the mission of the university is to provide opportunity to the students....academic, cultural, athletic...opportunity.

If we were to apply your logic to academics, I'm seriously doubting Womens Studies brings in anywhere near the research and grant dollars that, say, Electrical Engineering does. Do you mean to say Womens Studies should never get a new building?

If your bar is "operating in the black" you'll shut down 3/4 of the University.

The wrestling, gymnastics and volleyball programs deserve every access to those opportunities that the football team has. They deserve decent facilities.

And we are not talking about taking anything from the football program. We are talking about parking.
Really so your are equating the primary mission of the university academics should be equally weighted as its athletics. Who has the insipid argument?

Tell that to the other 45k plus students who are not on ahtletic scholarship so yes all education programs welcome it is a University after all.
Quit tyring to equate the two. The discussion is about athletics and the funding and where it comes from. The article falls flat on its face for its
SOLUTION nothing more. Does the program deserve some upgrades -- a resounding yes-- but all you financial wizards seem to want to gloss over the fact the program doesnt exist without football period. Get your funding from elsewhere

Also ask yourself why would the likes of Stanford cut some of their atheltic programs wouldn't they be of benefit to "provide opportunity to the students....academic, cultural, athletic...opportunity"

Last edited:

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Ehhhhh. The parking would be the least of the problems. Current rate as people tire of what college football is becoming and once they see that the Penn State NIL will not be able to keep up with the programs that will buy and sell their souls (even more than they have) 95k+ in Beaver Stadium will only happen now and then.

A new facility that is ICA owned and operated would at least in some part, begin to pay for itself it the facility also included MBB and WBB and ICA no longer had to rent their space in BJC and share the revenue for all ICA events. Not only would this save ICA money, but the BJC would be able to book even more events. The number of events because of ICA blacked out dates, many just holds, is way more than people would imagine.

There is no perfect scenario for funding, but calm down Mr. Soupy Sales, you sound like the dollars for a new facility are coming directly out of your wallet.

jbeldingk

Oct 7, 2021
Imagine getting this upset over a college sports facility article. My man No Soup needs to work some things out in a wrestling room

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
A new facility that is ICA owned and operated would at least in some part, begin to pay for itself it the facility also included MBB and WBB and ICA no longer had to rent their space in BJC and share the revenue for all ICA events. Not only would this save ICA money, but the BJC would be able to book even more events. The number of events because of ICA blacked out dates, many just holds, is way more than people would imagine.

I'm doubtful of this

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
I know Cael loves Rec Hall but could they design a larger new building that Cael would love as much! He could have input into his design. And as noted above there is a pretty low number of home wrestling matches per year so I would hope it could be used for gymnastics (we got some talented athletes-I wish I lived closer to see them) and volleyball (women play in fall so scheduling conflict there ). Clearly there would need to be fundraising involved-but I can NOT imagine there is a better time.Hopefully this March we will win our 10th national championship in 12 years. The wrestling program is great with the best coach in the world. But reality is improved facilities would help keep the program when I hate to say this-no one can coach forever. We sure want to keep top standards at PSU in wrestling (and it should help the other sports as well).