What made Nick Saban go on a rant about Alabama football fans at radio show

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
"I mean, c'mon. Give me a break," Saban said. "This is not professional football. These guys aren't getting paid to play here. They're representing you all. You should be proud and happy to support them and appreciate what they do and have some gratitude."

The applause and woo-hoos are held steady as Saban's voice raised and pushed the limits of the microphone.

"You know what else?," Saban said. "Nobody wants to win worse than they do. Not me, not you, I don't care what kind of fan you are. Nobody wants to win more than the players that play. Nobody."

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
"I mean, c'mon. Give me a break," Saban said. "This is not professional football. These guys aren't getting paid to play here. They're representing you all. You should be proud and happy to support them and appreciate what they do and have some gratitude."

The applause and woo-hoos are held steady as Saban's voice raised and pushed the limits of the microphone.

"You know what else?," Saban said. "Nobody wants to win worse than they do. Not me, not you, I don't care what kind of fan you are. Nobody wants to win more than the players that play. Nobody."

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
He has the clout to say what every CFB coach across the country wants to say. Could you imagine if CJF said this?
What would be the problem if CJF, or any other coach, said that nobody wants to win more than the players do? I can’t imagine anyone finding in this anything to object to. It doesn’t preclude the coaches wanting to win just as much as the players do.

Reactions: PSUJam

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
I am guessing this is after they dropped behind OSU in the latest poll. Regardless, I've never had a problem with Saban.

Reactions: step.eng69

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
What would be the problem if CJF, or any other coach, said that nobody wants to win more than the players do? I can’t imagine anyone finding in this anything to object to. It doesn’t preclude the coaches wanting to win just as much as the players do.
The Franklin haters would be lighting their torches and grabbing their pitchforks

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I'm thinking the part where he calls the fans self absorbed wouldn't go over well.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
The Franklin haters would be lighting their torches and grabbing their pitchforks

This times 1000000. We all remember the not elite comment, and he was spot on with that. Yet the “fans” on here dug deep because he didn’t become elite IMMEDIATELY.

the “fans” on here sometimes make me want to kick a puppy. People are stupid.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I like the part where he talks about kids running after practice because of missing "study hall". 😆
That’s Alabama speak. “Study hall” is code for football study hall outside of normal practice. ;)

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
"And nobody feels worse than they do when they lose," Saban continued. "Nobody. So for all you self-absorbed folks out there that can't look past your own self, aight, to appreciate what other people are doing."

Reactions: LionJim

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
Nick needs to understand that fans are losing money when he doesn’t cover the spread. The game has changed including for fans from a betting standpoint.

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021

Nailed it! Exactly what a ton of posters on this board need to hear!

VaLion92

Oct 7, 2021
Nick needs to understand that fans are losing money when he doesn’t cover the spread. The game has changed including for fans from a betting standpoint.

Soooo...why bet on sports games then? The way it is these days, parity and upsets all the time, I wouldn't touch a pay in pick 'em league with a 10 foot pole.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Call me crazy guys but I think the Bama fan base is jaded. Asking kids to sit four hours in a stadium when the outcome of a game is a foregone conclusion gets old. For about five years now Saban has been noticing the student section emptying at the beginning of the fourth quarter. He actually talked about it several years ago in a post game interview.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Call me crazy guys but I think the Bama fan base is jaded. Asking kids to sit four hours in a stadium when the outcome of a game is a foregone conclusion gets old. For about five years now Saban has been noticing the student section emptying at the beginning of the fourth quarter. He actually talked about it several years ago in a post game interview.
This makes perfect sense except I know for sure I myself would never get tired of winning every Saturday. It's fun to have a dominant team; it brings a spring to your step. I like having a spring in my step. Remember the board after we beat Wisconsin and Auburn? I saw a lot of posters with a spring in their steps.

We all remember the 1985 team, so many close games. If that blitz had worked, we could have beaten Oklahoma. That team brought a lot of joy into my life, all our lives. No lie there.

Schedule[edit]​

DateOpponentRankSiteTVResultAttendance
September 7at No. 7 MarylandNo. 19W 20–1850,750
September 14TempleNo. 11W 27–2584,651
September 21East CarolinaNo. 10
  • Beaver Stadium
  • University Park, PA
W 17–1084,266
September 28at RutgersNo. 9W 17–1054,560
October 12No. 10 AlabamaNo. 8
  • Beaver Stadium
  • University Park, PA (rivalry)
ABCW 19–1785,444
October 19at SyracuseNo. 6W 24–2050,021
October 26West Virginia
dagger
No. 3
  • Beaver Stadium
  • University Park, PA (rivalry)
ABCW 27–085,534
November 2Boston CollegeNo. 3
  • Beaver Stadium
  • University Park, PA
W 16–1282,000
November 9at CincinnatiNo. 2W 31–1033,528
November 16Notre DameNo. 1
  • Beaver Stadium
  • University Park, PA
ABCW 36–684,000
November 23at PittsburghNo. 1ESPNW 31–060,134
January 1, 1986vs. No. 3 OklahomaNo. 1NBCL 10–2574,148
  • dagger
    Homecoming
  • Rankings from AP Poll released prior to the game

Last edited:
Reactions: OptionBob

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

Even Alabama has fanboys who think they "deserve better." LOL someone should develop A vaccine for this illness.

Reactions: step.eng69

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021
He’s always miserable, much like the coach in New England. Guess that’s what drives them both to excellence. Seems like a ****** way to go through life, but hey, all they do is win win win those games.

Reactions: 84lion

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
If I wre Sabans agent I'd have it in his contract he is always at least one dollar more than the highest paid coach in the country.. Sounds like LSU throwing the bank at Riley.