What to believe about Doc? So much info, the latest from.......

Feb 23, 2008
the Swan posted atop all his boards suggests the only reason he resigned was Meredith. Swan says it had to do with some kind of formula for finances that benefits Ole Miss more than the other 4-year universities. Now upon reading that, I look at 2 different cases. Part of me says yeah, Ole Miss does have more political clout and can impact the way the IHL makes decisions but part of me also says Look, this is Gene. He hates all things related to the University of MS and will go to any length to put blame on them somehow in an effort to calm his flock down.
Now, as for an opinion on Doc, we better hope we can do better cause the man did more in a week to increase enrollment than his predecessor did in his whole tenure. Flowers, flyovers, etc, who cares? Enrollment numbers is what it's all about and we're losing someone who drove that point home since Day 1. Regardless of all the rest, the man that finally butted horns with LT will always be a winner in my book if for that reason only.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
which means - it's about money. Makes sense - if we follow the money in most every life story we will be better understand life's story.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Well, first of all, it is Gene. He's going to say what the University wants him to say, and I find it very hard to believe that a former general would just quit because one thing didn't go his way.

I still say it's a combination of things, many of them little things that are small but add up over time- like the daffodils. The IHL thing was probably the straw that broke his back.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Funding formulas change whenever there is a perceived bias against certain institutions for no reason whatsoever. I had earlier in another thread linked to a Daily Mississippian article citing Ole Miss's 18 percent enrollment gain over the course of several years, but still being behind MSU & USM in funding.

Having been employed for several years at a college affected by similar funding formulas, I can say that my president hasn't resigned in a huff. That being said, Doc isn't a professional educator who is accustomed to getting less and less from the state legislature.